Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 PM   #1  

Default Someone kick me

DANG IT! I am failing. I don't want to give up on this. I am NOT giving up on this. But it feels that no matter what I do, I just can't lose another pound. I have been exercising every day, getting all my water in, and keeping my calories below 2000. I am UP ANOTHER POUND right now. I am frustrated and tired. I don't want to fail again. I am so determined to do this. But seeing that number up. Again. It just......ugh. It's really, really discouraging. Why am I trying so hard and still gaining? I don't want everyone to tell me it's all going to be okay, and that I can do this. I know it will. I know I can. I have been for 30 something pounds. But I am still working my butt off, and the numbers are going in the wrong direction. Why?
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #2  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Wait!! Breathe deep.....In my experience this is not unusual. My scale is all over the place from day to day and has been for the last 160 pounds. It has never been a straight downward line. From day to day, I am down a lb, up a lb, up another lb, down a lb, up a lb, down two lbs, the same weight for a day or two, up a lb, down two lbs, on and on and on. It is not unusual at all for your weight to fluctuate from day to day. Water fluctuation is the main reason from what I've read. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it, except perhaps weigh less frequently so that you don't see the fluctuations so much.

Has this fluctuation been over the course of a few days or few weeks?
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I think we all go through this. I have had times when I thought I should have lost and didn't , or stayed the same. As long as you don't give up, the weight will come off. Maybe you are retaining water? Did you eat alot of salt?
I know you can do this!! Don't give up!! Things will get better.

cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

So when did you last weigh? If you're weighing daily, you will see fluctuations so try weighing weekly. Also, if you're still doing the same things you were doing 35 lbs. ago, it may be time to change things up. Change the intensity or duration of your exercise (or both) and drop your calories a bit.

You've done a great job--don't let that silly scale discourage you!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #5  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

It will be ok! One of these weeks you are going to step on the scale and be down 4-5 pounds, maybe more! Just wait it out is all I can say. I got stuck at 195 for a couple of weeks...but then it finally started coming off again this month.

sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Sorry, no can do. Not gonna kick you. You're doing GREAT.

How often do you weigh? Because a pound or even two up is a normal fluctuation that I see often during the week.

And I'll echo what Sheila said, it just may be time to change things up a bit. We have to keep tweaking things as we get smaller and smaller. Our bodies just don't require the same amount of calories as we weigh less and therefore we need to drop our calories to continue seeing a deficit. Or increase the exercise - or both.

Hang in there. With a little tweaking, a bit of patience and determination I have no doubt you will get that scale moving downward again real soon.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Fluff - you're hilarious!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #8  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I hear you and raise you pound! I have been so discouraged myself, but I'm NOT giving up and neither are you. On Thursday I was at 232 and today I'm at 235. Granted I have TOM stopping by this week and Sunday was not the best day for me.

You have lost weight. That is a fact.

Do you take your measurements? I am taking mine on the first of every month and have vowed to go by that in the long run and not let the scale drive me crazy.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
And I'll echo what Sheila said, it just may be time to change things up a bit. We have to keep tweaking things as we get smaller and smaller. Our bodies just don't require the same amount of calories as we weigh less and therefore we need to drop our calories to continue seeing a deficit. Or increase the exercise - or both.

Hang in there. With a little tweaking, a bit of patience and determination I have no doubt you will get that scale moving downward again real soon.
I also agree with these ladies. It is time to either change the amount of calories you are consuming or exercise differently.
About every 6 - 8 weeks I stall and I have to shake things up. We are here for you. Keep going.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:15 PM   #10  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I agree with what so many others have already said. Hang in there! Some people on here weigh daily or even multiple times per day. I weigh once a week...that's it...no ifs, ands, or buts! This keeps me in line knowing I will be weighing in on Saturday, but it also prevents me from kicking myself over normal daily fluctuations. Salt and TOM wreak havok on my weight either one can cause a 2-5 pound fluctuation. Keep these things in mind, and just keep telling yourself that as long as you are on plan, the overall effect on the scale will be a downward trend, even if it doesn't look like it on a daily basis.
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #11  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Okay, so I have said this elsewhere, but I lost 32 pounds six months ago and then it all just stopped. Completely. No matter what I did for six months, my weight would not move. But I haven't given up, and I haven't gained it back (okay, I gain and lose the same two pounds over and over, but that doesn't really count), and if I can keep trying for six months, you can stick it out too. We both hit a plateau and we just need to find the thing that will help get the weight moving again.

For myself, I've gone back to hardcore calorie counting, fluctuating my calories day to day so my body doesn't get used to it, and I'm adding weights to my workout routine. Also, I've been doing the couch-to-5K running program, which I hate but I can tell it's working, so I do it anyway. I will see some results or die trying! I know we can both break the plateau.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #12  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Well I'll be the first one...

We all feel the way you do at some point in our weight loss journey! Are you adjusting your calorie intake as you lose weight? Exercising more/less? Still measuring every single little thing? I'd look at those, and make sure they haven't changed without you realizing it!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #13  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

The body naturally fluctuates. It depends on sodium intake and a bunch of other factors. I find it helpful if I don't weigh myself daily. Focus on the behaviors and the results will come. Also, is your body used to the same exercise day after day? Switch it up so your body doesn't get used to it. Change it every six weeks. Keep pushing. Don't give up. Good luck.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #14  

I just started a new work out about a week ago. I usually weigh every day, and I know it fluctuates often throughout the day. I have been consistently hovering around 307 in the morning. I only officially count Wednesday's morning weight. According to the daily plate calculator thingy, I should be losing 2-3 lbs a week on a 2000 calorie diet. So that's what I've been doing. But at this point, I think I am going to try varying it. 2000 one day, 1700 another, 1900...etc. Maybe that'll help. Any other ideas would be great. Thanks, all...for the kicks and non-kicks.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

I need a kick too. Im gonna have to start weighing everything out. I havent been doing that, just eating better. Ive been trying to change up my routine too. You can do this, I can do this, CHIN UP!
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote