Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #1  

Height: 5'10

Default Beginning a juice fast.

Starting tommorrow (tuesday) I will be beginning a juice fast.

"Juice fasting is a type of fasting and detox diet in which the practitioner consumes only fruit and vegetable juices. Being available only in digestible carbohydrates, these foods are digested rapidly as the juice digestion process expends only a small amount of energy. People choose to undergo juice fasts for various reasons and via various methods."

I am doing it to jumpstart my weight loss

FOr the first 10 days, I will be on a strict juice fast with the occasional raw vegetable/head lettuce (which is the same as lettuce really)

the next 15 days, I will go on a raw foods diet. I will only eat uncooked food.

After that I will maintain my weight by going on a 1200-1300 calorie diet after that

Anytime I screw up, I will return to my original plan
Old 08-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #2  

well its great that you are commited...but for some reason...that just doesnt seem practical??? or fun!!!! How much weight are you trying to loose??? and do you exercise???
Old 08-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by afb0407 View Post
well its great that you are commited...but for some reason...that just doesnt seem practical??? or fun!!!! How much weight are you trying to loose??? and do you exercise???
weight loss isnt really fun.

18 poounds
trying to exercise 2 hr a day
Old 08-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #4  

lol i totally agree......weight loss STINKS!!!!....but needed i guess...just be sure to reward yourself with a small portion of somthing you enjoy eating every so often......i dont know if your like me....but i get burnt out on diets quickly if i dont often reward myself!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Fair warning- any weight you lose while fasting will come back at full force when you start eating (raw or not). Also, people doing juice fasts SHOULD NOT BE EXERCISING 2 HOURS A DAY.

Fasting, juice or otherwise, is a method for spiritual-and some believe- physical health. I suggest you read up on why people do this and the theories behind it before you and your still-growing body embarks on a 25+ day fast. Also, judging by your previous threads I would suggest you speak with your doctor about this "plan".
Old 08-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

Yeah - not to be a downer - if you are doing it for cleansing purposes or religious beliefs or whatever I would understand. But like any diet that is solely based on one food group or radical eating habit I agree that it will come back when you are done. And with the protein gone it would be dangerous to exercise two hours a day. Also - 1200 - 1300 calories a day is way too low and very unhealthy. You should seriously consult a doctor or nutritionist.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:36 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by afb0407 View Post
...just be sure to reward yourself with a small portion of somthing you enjoy eating every so often......i dont know if your like me....but i get burnt out on diets quickly if i dont often reward myself!!!
I think if 'food as reward' works for you, that's good, but for many people I think that other types of 'rewards' might be better.

"Food as Reward" for many people might be counter productive to adopting a new lifestyle that isn't 'food centric' and is more 'food is fuel' centric.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #8  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Just wanted to echo that juice fasts are not intended for weight loss. You want to start new eating habits that will make you fitter and healthier for life and help you build sexy muscles with all that exercise you're doing, right? I can understand your "want it done yesterday" attitude, but unfortunately losing body fat at a healthy rate just isn't that fast.

I would suggest researching other plans that may be more suited to your goals. Do you have any interest in weight lifting? The Body for Life plan is pretty popular and ties nutrition and building a better body together in one program.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Have you assessed with your doctor whether your goal is reasonable/healthy for you? I don't know your body obviously but according to bmi if you reach your goal it will be 17.9 which is well into the underweight category. Right now you're sitting at 20.5 which is low within the healthy range.

Maybe you should reevaluate your goals & start doing more weights so you can tone the areas you are unhappy with (I am assuming here that your 2 hours a day is cardio - which seems excessive).

I urge you to speak to your doctor about this - you sound a lot like my severely eating disordered SIL.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #10  

I've done my research. On this website, it states:

Quote:
The main benefit offered by a fast, to those who wish to lose weight, is the speed of the weight loss. To see a person drop 30-to-40 pounds on a 30-day juice fast is to see a person totally transform his life. Self-esteem is given a boost and for the first time in their life, discipline becomes a lifestyle. The fast becomes a catalyst for a total life overhaul. People start dressing better, showing more confidence, becoming more organized, more dedicated in relationships and more at peace.
Quote:
Initially, weight loss can be as high as three-to-four pounds per day, but as the fast continues, the average loss will be one pound-per-day. If you are juice fasting and not losing weight, the juice is supplying all the calories you need. You may have to cut down on the juices or alternate between water fasting and juice fasting if losing weight is part of your goal. The slower your metabolism is the slower the weight loss.
more info

Quote:
You can see the pounds melt away on a daily basis. You don’t even feel hungry. But, do you lose weight, your health is improved and the skin regains is natural elasticity resulting in a youthful tone and more energy. You can’t get a better weight loss program than that.
http://www.healthrecipes.com/fast9.htm

This whole site provides me with tips on how to stay on the fast, why to be on a fast, etc

I think this will work
Old 08-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeguard View Post
Have you assessed with your doctor whether your goal is reasonable/healthy for you? I don't know your body obviously but according to bmi if you reach your goal it will be 17.9 which is well into the underweight category. Right now you're sitting at 20.5 which is low within the healthy range.

Maybe you should reevaluate your goals & start doing more weights so you can tone the areas you are unhappy with (I am assuming here that your 2 hours a day is cardio - which seems excessive).

I urge you to speak to your doctor about this - you sound a lot like my severely eating disordered SIL.
im sorry but bmi is a load of crap.

its has been saying healthy naturally thin people are unhealthy forever. All my friends online and off say they bmi's are low and it says they are underweight when really they are perfectly healthy. i dont listen to that bmi junk.

The doctor advice is good. They would know whether my weight is right for my frame and body structure but a online measurement tool made by some weirdo scientist that didnt take in consideration of other things? I think ill pass.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananigans View Post
Just wanted to echo that juice fasts are not intended for weight loss. You want to start new eating habits that will make you fitter and healthier for life and help you build sexy muscles with all that exercise you're doing, right? I can understand your "want it done yesterday" attitude, but unfortunately losing body fat at a healthy rate just isn't that fast.

I would suggest researching other plans that may be more suited to your goals. Do you have any interest in weight lifting? The Body for Life plan is pretty popular and ties nutrition and building a better body together in one program.
Did you not hear my plan?

10 days fast- initial weight loss
10 days raw food diet- ongoing weight loss
1200-1400 calorie plan- maintenance mode

what happens if i screw up? start the plan again to lose the weight again
Old 08-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchyonadiet View Post
Yeah - not to be a downer - if you are doing it for cleansing purposes or religious beliefs or whatever I would understand. But like any diet that is solely based on one food group or radical eating habit I agree that it will come back when you are done. And with the protein gone it would be dangerous to exercise two hours a day. Also - 1200 - 1300 calories a day is way too low and very unhealthy. You should seriously consult a doctor or nutritionist.
no it wont. your basing this on a normals person weakness. Ive been able to maintain my weight at a 500 calorie diet for a year. my willpower can get to an all time high after a while of motivation
Old 08-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Fair warning- any weight you lose while fasting will come back at full force when you start eating (raw or not). Also, people doing juice fasts SHOULD NOT BE EXERCISING 2 HOURS A DAY.

Fasting, juice or otherwise, is a method for spiritual-and some believe- physical health. I suggest you read up on why people do this and the theories behind it before you and your still-growing body embarks on a 25+ day fast. Also, judging by your previous threads I would suggest you speak with your doctor about this "plan".
all my doctors tell me the same thing. "your healthy! your bmi is fine"

well guess what? At my height, i can gain an additional 20 pounds and still be "fine", "healthy". im doing what I want. THanks

Oh and im not trying to sound mean or anything. I am really happy about this board and how you guys are acheving your weight loss. You just have to realize that people have different plans, bodies and goals.

My sister is 5'11 and 200 pounds. She wants to lose 20 pounds. thats perfect, for her. My other sister weight 140 pounds at 5'9. She fine with her weight. thats perfect for her.

I weight 143 and im 5'10. thats not good for me

who knows, maybe someone thinks your weight is perfect but you want to drop 30 pounds. Some people love the chubby look and want to be your size (im not talking directly to anyone) but you dont like it and want to lose ## pounds. thats your opinion on youself. Most people on hear are just like me. DOing it for appearance and confidence
Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #15  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlovin View Post
I've done my research. On this website, it states:

more info

http://www.healthrecipes.com/fast9.htm

This whole site provides me with tips on how to stay on the fast, why to be on a fast, etc

I think this will work
You can find tons of stuff on the internet that speaks for and against fasts. And I think most of them are crap. How is this a reputable site? And as someone who has studied this extensively from both sides, no professional would support a teenager at a healthy weight doing a fast for the purpose of losing weight. And quite frankly, fasting for the sole purpose of losing weight cheapens it and those on the internet supporting it are usually trying to sell you something.

Do not misunderstand me. I moved out of obesity by a self-made eating plan inspired by the raw diet. I have done fasts. But I have never done them to lose weight. And any weight I did lose came back straight away, even if I was eating raw.

Quote:
im sorry but bmi is a load of crap.

its has been saying healthy naturally thin people are unhealthy forever. All my friends online and off say they bmi's are low and it says they are underweight when really they are perfectly healthy. i dont listen to that bmi junk.

The doctor advice is good. They would know whether my weight is right for my frame and body structure but a online measurement tool made by some weirdo scientist that didnt take in consideration of other things? I think ill pass.
I really do hope you go see a doctor about this.

Quote:
Did you not hear my plan?

10 days fast- initial weight loss
10 days raw food diet- ongoing weight loss
1200-1400 calorie plan- maintenance mode

what happens if i screw up? start the plan again to lose the weight again

Screw up, as in, eat? So you start your fast. You "mess up" and break the fast. To punish yourself you start the fast over. So essentially you are admitting that you are going to train your body to live off of no food.

You have also been living off of a 500 cal/day diet and set a goal of 6 hours of exercise a day. It is just not reasonable to believe that this is a good plan. Please consider talking to someone about this.
Closed Thread