Old 08-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #1  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

Default always hungry

Ok. So I am eating all the right stuff. Fruit veggies high fiber, but I am so hungry that at the end of the night I just binge on whatever I can get my hands on. The other day I had a wrap with 1 egg and 1 egg white with a little shredded cheese. an apple and peanut butter....for breakfast. an english muffin pizza and a yogurt with nuts.... for lunch...... and baked ziti with a salad for dinner and about 15 min later I was in the kitchen looking for something.... I had half a sandwich, 2 fudgecicles, and a bag of popcorn. all that I had done throughout the day was completely undone.

I just started counting carbs and I guess that I am so afraid of using them all that I am not eating enough during the day.

Can anyone give me advice on how to stay full without using all of my calories by 3 o'clock.....
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

What does your protein look like?

If you're watching your carbs, your protein should be going up to compensate, but depending on what was in the baked ziti, you've had an egg and a yogurt worth of protein, plus some incidental protein from the grains, veggies, etc....certainly not enough to keep -me- satiated. Try adding additional protein...more egg whites in the breakfast, adding some chicken into your day if you eat meat....

There is a lot of healthy fat from the nuts, which should help with satiety also, and the fiber, so just consider adding additional protein and/or more water.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #3  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Instead of worrying about carbs only worry about the bad ones, because it sounds to me like you need more volume foods / fiber in there which basically means, yes... veggies

Looks like a real lack of them there. They are a challenge for me too. I find if my fiber is high and my bad carbs are low and I have enough protein/goodfats that I'm eating a lot less and my hunger level has gone down.I used to be such a night-time over snacker too.

-muse
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #4  
On my way...

thanks ill try to add more protein into my diet. thanks.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I don't see any fruits or veggies--the good carbs. How about a big veggie salad with grilled chicken, hardboiled egg, and some beans, dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar? The protein combined with the good carbs will help keep you full. Then snack on yogurt and fruit topped with nuts and a few ounces of high fiber cereal like Fiber one. To really make the carbs healthy, choose whole wheat pasta and whole grain English muffins and tortillas.

If you like sandwiches, try tuna and add diced celery, capers, and green onion, then put it in a whole wheat wrap with cucumbers, roasted red peppers and mixed greens. I also like to eat deli turkey breast with avocado, roasted red pepper, and other veggies and greens on Sara Lee Delightful Wheat. There is a great lunch thread somewhere around here that has some wonderful suggestions to boost the staying power of your lunches while making them friendly for calorie counters.

Also, one thing that helps keep me full is eating small meals about every three hours. I've found this to be extremely helpful in keeping hunger away.

Last edited by Sheila53; 08-17-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Are you having any snacks? I am a snacker. It doesn't have to be a lot (a few bites), but something little in-between breakfast and lunch, then lunch and dinner, then something small after dinner keep sme from feeling hungry..
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #7  
On my way...

like i said before I am afraid to use all my calories to early so i am not really snacking. i guess it would be better for me to snack and stay full than not snack and binge at the end of the night. either way i am using my calories. just that one way is a better way to use them. lol. i just thought of that. HAHa.....
Old 08-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

Are you drinking lots of water? Maybe try drinking a full glass of water when you get that end-of-day craving. Then go do something, anything for 20-30 mins. If you're still hungry after that, then I would have a small snack. It's so hard to balance calories/carbs/fat/protein! Good luck!!
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I find if I'm still hungry after supper I do well with some milk. Maybe a couple of wheat crackers with a smear of peanut butter and a small glass of skim milk? Just seems to satisfy me. I think it's partly due to the higher fiber diet - big salad or a big pile of veggies for supper sometimes makes my stomach rumble and that feels like hunger to me even though I know it's not. The milk calms that down. Might just be a weird thing with me, but maybe worth a try???
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

Fruits, I know someone mentioned them as a suggestion.
I am always concerned about the amount of sugar in them.
What are some of the best fruits to eat, so that sugar is less?
Example: I know banannas and grapes are pretty high in sugar.
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

CBETA, berries are excellent. Right now you can prob still get blueberries, raspberries, and black berries for fairly cheap. Or you could always get frozen. Apples are good too.

It sounds to me you're not getting enough carbs. Your body takes its nutrients from protein, carbohydrates, and fats. If you're not getting all three of them then chances are you'll be hungry cause your body is missing out. The protein and the fats sounds ok. It's just the carbohydrates which oddly enough should make up the bulk of your diet if you're aiming for a balanced diet. Now if you're really squeamish about carbs try beans instead of breads...lots of veggies.

And for me, eating foods with MSG, high fructose corn syrup, sweetener, or lots of sugar really makes me hungrier and have more cravings.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #12  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 141 / 136 / 120

Height: 5"3

daphne,

I KNOW EXACTLY how you feel!! I'm always starrrrrrrrrving by 3pm and go nuts when i get home at 5 from work.
however!! i found a fool-proof solution for myself that works so well this week, here is what i do:

fill my HUGE water container up and make sure to drink it all and fill it TWICE. and the food that fills me up greeeeatly while keeping low in calories is a Boca Burger (American Flame-Grilled kind), which i top with half a slice of american cheese and put into HALF a wheat pita. not only is it low in calories but the Boca Burger has 14 grams of fiber so it makes me FEEL SO FULL!!! please it out and see!

leda
TurboLeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by dek6 View Post
like i said before I am afraid to use all my calories to early so i am not really snacking.
Have you thought about making daily meal plans with snacks included?

I am on the Southbeach plan and I've not felt true hunger since I started this program. I believe I've not felt hunger because I do eat protein and a healthy carbohydrate with every meal and snack. Also, my daily food choices include 2 fruits, 3 whole grains, and tons of veggies.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 307/250

Height: 5'5"

My problem is not true hunger, but cravings. I probably have never felt true hunger! I want something at night mostly after supper while I watch TV. I made a low carb Atkins carrot cake w/o the icing yesterday and it was pretty good, at least it's better than my other options.
I sometimes have a sugarfree popcicle or fudge pop at night. Sometimes I just go to bed early and forget it all.
AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

Ooh. Also, a good late night snacking deterrent might be to brush your teeth. Not that you don't already) I hate to eat food after I brush my teeth, it doesn't taste right.

Jenny )
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote