Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #1  

Height: 5'10

Default slim fast plan for teens. none :( big rant.

I went to the slim fast website and got really excited about it. Their site is really organized and well thought out

well i cant join. because im under 18! I just think thats a bunch of bull. Why do so many diets make it so you have to be 18? I mean does something magical happen to your body on the day that you turn 18 that makes it automatically "ok" for you to do any diet plan? I mean who are they to judge what time your body is ready to be on a diet plan?

i find that with a lot of plans too. i wanted to try adkins. over 18. nutrisystem? same.

blah. i lied about my age anyway because that what i do every once in a while if i don't see the big deal

then i find out they want me to MAINTAIN my weight, not lose any and that i cant even lower my goal because their system doesnt allow it.

whats up with that?! who are these "people" deciding that my weight is okay? Isnt it up to me to decide that?

Bmi is a bunch of crap because it doesnt even consider the amount of muscle/ fat composition you have in your entire body and i think its ridiculous hwo everyone uses that system as some sort of diet guide when it can easily be wrong. I mean isn't it up to YOU to decide what weight it perfect for yourself? Not some dumb system made by some scientist who probably wasnt even overweight once in his life and didn't take into consideration that some people are healthy at 120 and 5'10 because they are born that way and some one who weighs 170 at 5'10 is. NOT always healthy. they might actually appear extremely overweight and need to drop 40 pounds depending on their frame and how much fat they are hogging around.

Frankly, all this diet plan stuff is making my head spin. im going to take a walk lol

</END RANT>

PS: I know my weight is healthy for some but i have a small frame anyway
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #2  

AND ANOTHER THING.

What is up with all the random food? I mean they expect you to go to the grocery store purchase 3 types of nuts?

peanuts
almonds
SOY nuts

okay wth? Why do i need to go out and buy three types of nuts? Im only getting 140 dollars a week during the summer not even mentioning when they cut my hours for school.

And im not going to buy THREE DIFFERENT KIND OF NUTS when i can just buy a jumbo pack and eat the same ones over again.

look at this

8 pieces lettuce leaves
1/2 pound lettuce, romaine, chopped
1 1/8 pounds mixed salad greens

WHY DO I NEED THREE TYPES OF SALAD? WHy cant i just get ONE SALAD and thats it? now im going to have to substitute everything, delete stuff, CHANGE THE ENTIRE PLAN because some people think that its normal to buy 3 different types of the same vegetable each week. why cant i have one type of letuce the entire week?

i know. i know. im completly rambling but i hate how all these plans have to buy all this random crap that is almost the same thing. I know people like variety but frankly, this is just stupid.

You know what I would rather do with this slimfast crap? Make my own plan

BREAKFAST- SLIMFAST
SNACK-NUTS
LUNCH- SLIMFAST
SNACK- A VEGETABLE
DINNER- SLIM FAST or SALAD W/ PROTEIN
SNACK- A FRUIT

simple. SIMPLE and doesnt exactly break my diet plan

and they wonder why so many people do things the UNHEALTHY way??!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Do you know how many calories your plan adds up to?? Why dont you just take everyones advice and go talk to someone about this. Im not trying to sound rude to you but in that other thread you started where you were saying you were going to exersize for 6 hours a day everyone gave you soome really good advice. Go see a nutrionist or psychiatrist or anyone who can help you with this.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #4  
it's always something

Studies have shown that teenagers who diet are much more likely to be overweight or obese adults. Instead of dieting, it's recommended that teens increase activity, and just make better choices like cutting out the junk.

Keep in mind that weight loss diets are restrictive, and not suitable for someone that is still growing - even if just on the inside.

So I can see their point, and it's all based on a lot of research and experience Regarding the system not allowing you to lower you goal, that's there for a reason, too. Keep in mind that it's based on medical knowledge, and they know what they are talking about

It sounds like you are unhappy with your body. You are right, numbers aren't everything, and maybe you are focusing too much on the scale, especially since you don't seem to recognize that your scale is saying the right thing for your height. I hope that wasn't too blunt

Do you think you are just not in shape, so maybe you need to build muscle? You are definitely not fat. Do you feel flabby? It's easy to feel flabby or out of shape without needing to lose weight. The solution would be to eat a more nutritious diet and lift weights to improve the body.

I completely agree that you would benefit from advice from someone experienced to help you with what you are going through. We've had a lot of members that were helped at www.somethingfishy.org Maybe you could check it out when you get a chance.

Good luck
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by staciec878 View Post
Do you know how many calories your plan adds up to?? Why dont you just take everyones advice and go talk to someone about this. Im not trying to sound rude to you but in that other thread you started where you were saying you were going to exersize for 6 hours a day everyone gave you soome really good advice. Go see a nutrionist or psychiatrist or anyone who can help you with this.

im already talking about it on this forum. and my mom doesnt take me seriously. ive asked her to take me to one since last year when i was almost a stick but it still hasnt happened.

I've healed myself which i find out that even if I look better on the outside, I havent healed myself on the inside.

i dont need to see a psychiatrist. maybe a nutritionist.

that plan i made up sounds healthy enough. Slim fast was my attempt to do things the healthy way which is why im ranting
Old 08-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #6  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlovin View Post
im already talking about it on this forum. and my mom doesnt take me seriously. ive asked her to take me to one since last year when i was almost a stick but it still hasnt happened.

I've healed myself which i find out that even if I look better on the outside, I havent healed myself on the inside.

i dont need to see a psychiatrist. maybe a nutritionist.

that plan i made up sounds healthy enough. Slim fast was my attempt to do things the healthy way which is why im ranting
I would save my money on the slimfast shakes and talk to a nutritionist instead. Many hospitals have nutritionists in residence. I don't know if you have health insurance, but if you do, often psychiatrists AND nutritionist visits are covered. Take the initiative and set an appointment up for yourself. You're 16--and I don't know if you drive yet. If you do, take yourself. If you don't, make the appointment and either get a ride, take public transit/a taxi or tell your mother that you already have an appointment and need her to give you a lift.

A Slimfast shake is 220 calories per can. Assuming you get 200 calories worth of nuts and have a piece of fruit and a vegetable, your plan's only got you consuming about 1050 calories a day--definitely not enough (especially if you're exercising!). A nutritionist will be able to tell you how to do what you want to do in a healthy way.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I would save my money on the slimfast shakes and talk to a nutritionist instead. Many hospitals have nutritionists in residence. I don't know if you have health insurance, but if you do, often psychiatrists AND nutritionist visits are covered. Take the initiative and set an appointment up for yourself. You're 16--and I don't know if you drive yet. If you do, take yourself. If you don't, make the appointment and either get a ride, take public transit/a taxi or tell your mother that you already have an appointment and need her to give you a lift.

A Slimfast shake is 220 calories per can. Assuming you get 200 calories worth of nuts and have a piece of fruit and a vegetable, your plan's only got you consuming about 1050 calories a day--definitely not enough (especially if you're exercising!). A nutritionist will be able to tell you how to do what you want to do in a healthy way.
wow i didnt know that(that meal calories. ). thanks. i do have health insurance actually.

I dont drive yet though. Rule in my house that says you cant drive until 18 and u can get a permit at 17. I might look online and see what i can find though.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Slim Fast, and many other websites, don't allow you to send in your personal information (even if you are sending in for a free sample of deodorant) because of the age-it has nothing to do with how old you are concerning a diet. If you went to a beauty website and tried to join their mailing list, a lot of times they have you enter your birthdate as well.

It is a safety feature that they use, so that kids and teens can't give out their personal info online.

Also, I would like to second Suzanne's opinion. I am small framed, and 5'7", which is actually a tad over average height for a woman. (5'5" I think is average...) and when I am at your weight I am darn near perfect.

At 5'10", you are definitely not fat at all. The key is not losing more weight in your position, but getting more fit-changing your body composition so that you have more muscle mass, and less body fat. You can do this with regular exercise-BUT-you have to do it properly, and eat to feed your muscles. You can't build muscle (to get firmer) without eating properly.

You also have to allow the body rest as well-because that is the time where the muscle rebuilds and repairs itself between workouts. (Which is why I don't recommend you exercising 6 hours a day, that you mentioned in your earlier thread.) Your muscle needs that rest time to improve.

Basically, you have to eat right, and give the body rest, in order for your workouts to be productive. If you don't, it is like trying to run a car on empty.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #9  

Stop focusing on the number on the scale. Focus on how your clothes fit, how toned you are, how you feel physically (do you feel weak? get dizzy? tired a lot? or do you feel healthy and strong all the time?). You need muscle, and yes even a little fat to keep your body functioning properly. And yes, sweet, you DO need to get help. I'm sorry to be blunt, too, but you rant and rave about diet plans and all of this, but you don't even realize how many calories you're eating in a full day, or how many are in a SlimFast shake, or how to figure up what your body needs to function. You do need to see a nutritionist, a psychiatrist, a workout coach, or all of them - to find a plan that works for you. I would dare say that if you showed your mom the posts you've made here, she would gladly pay for any and all of them because it's obvious that you NEED them. I say this out of love since I have a 14yo daughter myself, and I know that I would be terribly worried if she were talking/eating/exercising-to-excess the way you are.

Please tell someone in your life what is REALLY going on.
Melyn is offline   Reply With Quote