Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Default Elliptical Users

Hi all! This past week when I went to physical therapy my therapist had me get on the elliptical to warm up and I found out I was doing it wrong. He said it is common for most women to use the elliptical wrong so I thought I would pass on the info. He said when women get on the elliptical they tend to go at it but their butts are sticking out....which is a common way for a woman to stand. He said done properly it's difficult to use the elliptical for a long period of time (more than an hour.....but only b/c you are good and worked out ) So next time when you get on the elliptical try this tuck your pelvis under. Make sure it stays like that all throughout the workout. It really makes a big difference. I used to be able to stay on the elliptical for 2-3 hours and not feel that tired, but after 20 minutes doing it properly I was sweating buckets and worn out! Just thought I'd pass this along!
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #2  
focus creates results

S/C/G: 167/125/110

Height: 5'0"

Hm. One to tuck away and remember when I'm at my mom's building gym. Thanks!
Lekhika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #3  
I'm gettin there

S/C/G: 231/190/155

Height: 5 foot 7

I'll have to try that tonight. I can't believe u did it for over 2 hrs, I would be bored...lol.
metalgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 229('06)/214/see ticker/160

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for that tip! I have seen lots of people use it in poor form. The most common problems I see is people who drape themselves over the console or lean their weight on the console or handles. One should always stand up straight and your top half of the body should not move or bounce too much. That ensures you're working your core and legs properly.
lavidasofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #5  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Then I must be doing it right, as I can only last a minute on the elliptical.

Ladies, you'd be proud of me- I increased my time yesterday on the elliptical by 10 seconds- making progress at one minute and ten seconds- go me!

I can't fathom doing this machine for more than five minutes without dying from agony with my knees. My mother-in-law's doctor told her to do the elliptical for 30-40 minutes a day to help with her knee problem- geeze, what am I doing wrong that it hurts so much? Of course, she's not heavy like I am, maybe that makes a difference? I won't give up on it, but I am taking it slow- no choice in the matter, or I'll end up in traction.

I have my workout room set up in our living room with the elliptical, Ab Lounger, Tread mill, Skiier, recumbrant bike and weight bench. I change machines around like Curves does, but I can only last a minute on the elliptical- I'm determined to last two minutes by the end of August. One thing is for sure, if I need a quick sprint while walking/jogging/dancing around the living room, I just jump on the elliptical, and instant heart racing is guaranteed!
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #6  
not giving up

S/C/G: 190/?/125

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavidasofa View Post
Thanks for that tip! I have seen lots of people use it in poor form. The most common problems I see is people who drape themselves over the console or lean their weight on the console or handles. One should always stand up straight and your top half of the body should not move or bounce too much. That ensures you're working your core and legs properly.
I've seen this at the gym. People leaning on the handles. I always make sure that I'm standing up straight and my posture is good when I get on the elliptical.
GreenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #7  
I'm gettin there

S/C/G: 231/190/155

Height: 5 foot 7

Ok, I may sound stupid but after giving this a shot today I have to ask...exactly how do u tuck your pelvis? I stand up straight and my butt doesn't stick out so maybe I'm already doing it.

Steelslady: U sound like me when I first tried the stair climber. I am now up to 45 on elliptical and i can do 35 on the stair climber. I takes time and patience.
metalgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try to remember to check my form each time I get on the elliptical trainer.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/170/150

Height: 5'8"

A good way to check you're in proper form is to straighten up your torso, let your core hold you up... be aware of your abs, maybe even pull them in (then the exercise will help your abs too)
at least, thats how I remember to stay in proper form!
cagesorwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #10  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the info, I will have to try it next time I get on the elliptical. I too have noticed that I don't get as tired on the elliptical. I will most definitely try to keep my butt from sticking out.
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 266/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

A personal trainer also once told me that you shouldn't be bouncing up and down a lot on the elliptical like a lot of people do. You get a better workout if you try to keep your core more still and work your legs more.
Flutterby873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/222/145

Height: 5'4"

Well, I am stepping my exercise up another notch and have gained a new and greater appreciation of everyone who works out on an elliptical. In addition to Pilates three times a week, I will be using the elliptical 4-5 times a week. Last night was my first night at the gym. I did 10 minutes and thought I was going to die! I couldn't keep my heart rate below 158 (that was at the lowest setting). It was great that I saw this thread before I started - I made sure to keep my posture in line (pelvis under, etc.).

The trainer told me that it would get easier, but to never forget how hard my first 10 minutes were!

Thanks for all the good advice! - Goldie
Goldia is offline   Reply With Quote