Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #1  
dum dee dum

S/C/G: 213/185/140

Height: 5'7½"

Default Is it possible to lose 20 lbs in a month, burning 800 calories a day?

Hi, I'm not a regular poster here but I've been coming on now and again to browse at the threads.

I've been on another weight forum, and someone wanted to lose 20 lbs in a month doing cardio. Someone had said she lost 20 lbs in a month, burning 500 - 800 calories a day. I looked at her stats page, and it states that she works out 3 hours a day.

Is she losing too fast and is it healthy to lose fast?

I'm at a less-than-8 lbs a month pace, and comparing to her, I'm a snail. I'm happy at my pace though, no doubt

edit: For the title, I meant to say, is it healthy to lose 20 lbs a month (at that rate)?

Last edited by passionfruit; 08-14-2007 at 02:25 PM.
passionfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

I would say your adopting the much better approach. Its taken me a year to shake off 37lbs, but you know what it seems to be staying off. Losing at that pace simply isnt practical, who has time or energy for that much cardio?!? She will soon lose motivation i think as it doesnt fit into her everyday life. Its a life choice not just a quick burst.
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I agree with pigginpodgey. That sounds like way to much weight to lose in a month. I've just lost 23 lbs in 3 months and I think I'm doing fairly well. Remember, whatever you do to lose you want to keep it up for life.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229('06)/214/see ticker/160

Height: 5'5"

I find slow and steady definitely wins the race. I've noticed this time around (and last year) that I didn't gain it back if I had a bad week or month like I used to.

Another thought was maybe the person is younger? I was just telling my co-working today that had I done what I'm doing now 15 years ago, my weight would have melted off. I really have noticed a decrease in metabolism now that I'm in my 30s and maybe having a baby?
lavidasofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #5  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Was that their first month losing weight? Most people lose the most that first month, so 20lbs wouldn't be a surprise in that case.

For example say you drop 11 the first week mostly water weight then 2 then 3 then 2) that's 18lbs. Typical if you're very overweight... not typical if you only have some to lose.

800 calories a day if your 250+ isn't that surprising. I burn 500-600 for an hour of normal aerobic type work at my size. someone who is say 125lbs will burn a lot less doing the same... maybe 200-300 calories.

Also maybe on top of the exercise they do they don't eat enough? Maybe they had gastric bypass and aren't sharing it?

Don't compare your loss with other people. Slow and steady peope have the best chance of keeping it off.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote