Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Default What's different?

Those of you who have been running for awhile, what differences do you notice in your bodies/energy level/anything else that has changed since you started vs when you did other forms of exercise? In other words, what difference has it made for you on a whole?
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #2  

Height: 5'2"

I had some bad anxiety problems before I started running. I mostly had trouble with my breathing (not because I was majorly overweight or anything, but the breathing problem was being caused by anxiety) I was yawning all the time trying to get a deep breath, and I think I was actually hyperventilating a lot! I have found that running is the only thing that helps my anxiety. I dealt with it for over a year and it was awful, and now I am feeling a lot better. I still have my "bad days", don't get me wrong, but it's not like it was before I started running!!

Plus I have so much more energy!!! I have urges now to RUN instead of walk. Like when I am walking into the grocery store from my parking spot, I want to RUN! lol. I don't do it though because I don't want to look silly! But yeah, definitely a lot more energy...
Jpye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #3  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I used to be a walker, then about 2 months ago I started running and I totally notice a difference from when Is started running. I can run faster and farther and I can control my breathing better. I also definitely notice that I have more energy now and I'm sleeping a lot better at night, I fall asleep as soon as I get into bed, no tossing and turning and I rarely wake up in the middle of the nights. My moods have improved in general, I seem to have less *bad* days or *blah* days and noticing the changes in my body have given me way more confidence. I totally credit these changes to running because I lost quite a bit of weight before I started running and didn't notice any of this until after I started running, I've really been pushing myself and I've really been seeing results.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

I always thought I hated running but I had to anyway for sports and stuff, now however I really like running because I want to. I stopped running for a few years and then all the sudden had an urge to run and I did and I loved it! At first I couldn't run as fast or far as I used to be able to but now I can do way more and it's such a great feeling to canstantly improve my indurance. Oh and it shows in my energy levels all day and I too get the urge to run at random times. I also get lots of compliments on my butt now!
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I fell into wanting to run more than anything else because its fast. I can do more exercise in a lesser amount of time. Plus, I feel like I'm really burning up the calories doing something that gets my heart pumping. It revs me up to where I feel like I'm on a natural high for the rest of the day. I can't sit still afterward and need to do something. So I ultimately accomplish more on days that I run. I couldn't run 15 feet when I started, but just did my 3rd 5K race Saturday. And finished at 33:47 in the stroller division.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:46 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I've noticed more "bursts" of energy and have more energy in general. I also hop to quicker than I used to. I also feel much stronger. There was a noticeable difference from when I first lost weight and when I started running.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #7  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

I feel stronger and I can breathe better. My body is starting to tone up (been running 4 1/2 weeks now) and I am starting to look like a normal human being again instead of a blob!

One of the main things I notice the most, since I do it a million times a day, is when I have to run up and down the stairs in the house for chores or whatever, I am no longer winded or tired from it. Even if I have to do it 10 times in a row. I don't feel anything anymore. It's nice!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I do stairs better, overall have more endurance, tolerate the heat better, and as I was told this weekend I now have nice legs.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:44 AM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I can charge up steep hills in San Francisco and I'm not even breathing hard. I barely even notice I'm walking uphill! A friend had to ask me to slow down for her because I didn't realize I was walking so fast. Too bad I live in the suburbs now; I wish I been this in shape when I lived there.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Thanks, I love reading these, gives me something to look forward to!
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I do stairs better, overall have more endurance, tolerate the heat better, and as I was told this weekend I now have nice legs.
I forgot about that little perk!!!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

The biggest change for me is endurance. I can keep my energy level up for a MUCH longer time, especially as my long runs get longer and longer. I'm all about endurance and not so much about speed, so I'm learning that I'm a born distance runner. I went on a few short (but somewhat steep) hikes last weekend and even though I was breathing heavily, it wasn't that tough. A year ago, it would've been completely impossible. Part of that is losing 100 pounds, but a big part of it is the fitness level I've reached through running. I don't think walking would've got me to that point, honestly.

Here's the problem I'm beginning to notice with running (it's sort of a problem and sort of not). It seems to have ruined me for all other cardio!! Even when I try to make other forms of cardio "tough" or more intense, they just never compare to running for me. I never get the same feeling I get from running, and I just don't think it's as good a workout. Obviously you can't just run all the time, and I do enjoy other kinds of exercise, but it doesn't feel like it's doing NEARLY as much for my body. Kind of like last weekend when I gained 10 pounds in spite of all the hiking...sure I ate tons, but I have this feeling that if I'd replaced those hiking miles with running miles, the damage wouldn't have been as significant.

Does that make sense to anyone else, or am I kooky?
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Lisa - I do understand, although dh swears he can make biking be as tough. So I use other activities for X-training and remember that to improve running you HAVE to spend some time in the lower levels.

I look at it the other way around...I went skiing this year after not having skied for a very very long time. I outlasted everyone. I was able to ski hard all day. Did skiing burn as many calories as running would have? Maybe not, but I sure enjoyed it more than I used to!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #14  
Mel

Quote:
Here's the problem I'm beginning to notice with running (it's sort of a problem and sort of not). It seems to have ruined me for all other cardio!! Even when I try to make other forms of cardio "tough" or more intense, they just never compare to running for me. I never get the same feeling I get from running, and I just don't think it's as good a workout.
I used to feel that way too, until I actually strapped on a heart monitor that also showed calories burned. Turned out that running just felt harder. There's no disputing all the great feelings you get from running and the improvements in your body, but it turned out that spinning and doing an equivalently long intense workout on the elliptical (using the cross-trainer arms) actually burned more calories and spinning got my heart-rate considerably higher. Using the elliptical regularly with resistance has changed the shape of my legs, abs and butt and I thought I'd been doing a pretty complete job in that department with the running, spinning and weights!

I like running and keep it in my cardio rotation- but it really is hard on joints if you are heavy, were heavy, older (than whatever, we're all older than someone else), or already have joint issues.

Cross training will protect your body...you do want it to last!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #15  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I believe that what Mel says is true about the "perceived" exertion of running but for me, the only thing that comes close, and actually feels harder to me is spinning. If you belong to a gym, give it a try. Depending on the quality of the instructor, it can be the best! I never sweat like I do with spinning, not even when I run.

And definitely try the heart rate monitor to see what the numbers really are.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote