Old 08-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/219/160

Height: 5'9"

Default cause of stalling for 2 weeks?

Hi there, I haven't posted much, but have been lurking for awhile. My question is what would cause you to stall for 2 weeks while still in induction? Tomorrow marks 6 weeks that I've been doing induction and so far I've only lost 14lbs, but none of that in the last 2 weeks. I do light exercises 2ce a day, work 4 nights a week as a waitress, and do the elliptical 1.25 miles 5 times a week. Could it be that my body is toning and that's why I'm not losing any pounds? I've noticed my clothes are fitting better, but that dang scales not budging.

I eat 2 eggs for breakfast, then light and fit low sugar/low carb yogurt, salad with chicken breast strips and sauteed mushrooms in olive oil with tomato and dry bleu cheese, a little shredded cheddar cheese, and either ranch or bleu cheese dressing, breadless sandwiches with either cream cheese or mayo, and if I"m working since I don't get a chance to eat I drink an atkins shake. I'll snack on a little bit of cheese or deviled eggs as well, alternating between the 2. I drink more than enough water. I don't know what gives. Any insight??
2songbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

It is common to stall, especially in the beginning stages of Atkins. Its kind of like your body's way of taking time to adjust to your weight loss, if that makes any sense. A stall is not really a stall unless its been 4 weeks. I wouldn't panic just yet. You say your clothes are fitting better which most likely means you are losing inches.

As far as what you are eating is concerned....it looks like quite a bit of cheese which is a common staller for some people (myself included). Having salad is great but....where are your veggies And....I'd stay away from the Atkins shakes....especially on Induction. I know the new books & the website says they are "appropriate for Induction" but....I beg to differ. Personally, I'd try cutting back on the cheese and uping my veggies.

I hope this helps!

All the best to you!!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #3  

thanks jerseygirl. The outline I provided was just the basic, sorry about that. That's what I have almost every day. I also add in either raw broccoli, radishes, and cukes to my salad, or have a side of steammed broccoli. I would also sautee up some chicken with zucchini and squash, but all this varies from day to day. I LOVE greens beans and always have to watch how much I eat.

Great news...yesterday when I weighed myself the scale said I was down another 2lbs, but it kept changing on me...dang digital ones. Today I'm down another lb and it didn't change on me! So I went from 214.8 to 211.8 YAY!! Finally some more weight loss.

I've also noticed that I tend to lose faster when I drink those shakes for a meal replacement. I try not to do so too often, but that's what I've noticed. Then I stall when I eat 4-5 mini meals. Doesn't make sense. I have a resistant metabolism.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #4  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

I'm glad things are moving for you again. I tend to lose in little spurts, I can go for a week or so with nothing on the scale and then all of a sudden drop 2 lbs at once. So try not to get discouraged with the little stalls.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #5  

Its really likely to that as you are working out, you are developing muscle which is going to affect the scale. I had a real hard time with that and finally just determined to never get on a scale again! I got too obsessive and depressed then would give up and binge! Using a tape measure, especially around your midsection will let you know for sure if things are changing, even if its not showing up on the scale!
KimberMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5"5

i heard that there is usually a stall around 5-6 wks....
chickadee315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #7  

I was starting to wonder if my light exercises were doing anything for me such as building muscle tone and that was the cause of the stalling. I really wish that I would've taken measurements when I 1st started the atkins to see how many inches I lost, but it was too depressing.

I've also read that most stall around 5-6 weeks due to water weight regain.

My old reliable scale that measures in tenths is broke so now I'm using the 1 that measures in 1/2 lb increments. I'm at the same weight as last week, but I only count thursdays as the big weigh in day. so I'll see tomorrow
Old 08-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #8  

You could probably start using a tape measure from here on out, because exercise - even light - will make a huge difference - in a good way of course. Do you have a pair of jeans that was tight when you first started that you could use as a measuring tool?
Stall suck...thats for sure...but just keep doing what your doing...its good for you and it works. Here are tips I have been given along the way:
*Increase Water
*Add Coconut Oil to your diet
*Watch closely/eliminate if necesarry all the "Frankenfoods" (low carb treats, especially those with sugar alchohols really tend to stall some people)
*Aspartame stalls about 50% of people (Diet Pepsi uses Aspartame, Diet Rite doesn't)
*Crystal Light - Says 0 carb, but if you are making it from the powder, each 8oz serving is actually 1.25 carbs (THIS SUCKS!)
*Watch for hidden carbs
*Journal, Journal, Journal - If you are not writing down your daily food intake and using a carb counter you could very well be consuming more than you realize

Hope something here helps!
KimberMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #9  

ok monday was the start of my 3rd wk on induction and although i havent been able to very accurately weigh myself i dont think i am back into ketosis. this past wkend i ate prob 50 carbs sat - i know that wasnt good..anyways i have since added in dairy - lc yogurt and fage, nuts, 2 net carb bars and for whatever reason i dont feel like i am losing.

I am going to start working out this wkend but should i just cut out the yogurt and bars? and go back to being much more strict? i am trying to lose 11 pounds by the end of this month - not sure if its possible though
Old 08-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

You mentioned you are on your 3rd week of Induction, I am confused...yogurt & nuts are not permitted on Induction. The bars are a whole different story entirely. Induction is about clean eating from the acceptable foods list...20 carbs per day...12-15 of those 20 carbs coming from veggies & salad.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #11  

well i did 2 wks of induction but wanted to stay at 20 grams of carbs for the rest of the month or possibly longer depending on my loss - so thats why i added in the nuts and yogurt becasue technically i am not still doing induction but i am eating still only 20g. the bars are an emergency snack and i have been working much later then usual but they have done nothing but harm i think and will be avoiding them until the far away future.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberMonkey View Post
You could probably start using a tape measure from here on out, because exercise - even light - will make a huge difference - in a good way of course. Do you have a pair of jeans that was tight when you first started that you could use as a measuring tool?
Stall suck...thats for sure...but just keep doing what your doing...its good for you and it works. Here are tips I have been given along the way:
*Increase Water
*Add Coconut Oil to your diet
*Watch closely/eliminate if necesarry all the "Frankenfoods" (low carb treats, especially those with sugar alchohols really tend to stall some people)
*Aspartame stalls about 50% of people (Diet Pepsi uses Aspartame, Diet Rite doesn't)
*Crystal Light - Says 0 carb, but if you are making it from the powder, each 8oz serving is actually 1.25 carbs (THIS SUCKS!)
*Watch for hidden carbs
*Journal, Journal, Journal - If you are not writing down your daily food intake and using a carb counter you could very well be consuming more than you realize

Hope something here helps!
Ok, so dumb question...how do you add coconut oil to your diet? I've never heard of that. Yes, I have noticed my then tight pants are getting more comfy, but I just want to see that dang scale move!! I drink a LOT of water, so that's not an issue. I limit my diet drinks to only 1-2 a day, some days I don't have any at all. I drink black decaf coffee every now and then. I do drink about 3 of those atkins shakes a week while I"m working (meal replacement). For breakfast, since I got tired of eggs, I now eat the low sugar/low carb yogurt. Yummy!! I do refer back to the carb counter, but I mentally keep track of what I eat and how many carbs throughout the day.

Thanks for all the pointers. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee315 View Post
well i did 2 wks of induction but wanted to stay at 20 grams of carbs for the rest of the month or possibly longer depending on my loss - so thats why i added in the nuts and yogurt becasue technically i am not still doing induction but i am eating still only 20g. the bars are an emergency snack and i have been working much later then usual but they have done nothing but harm i think and will be avoiding them until the far away future.
So, its a modified Induction? I basically did the same thing...even now, I stay pretty much between 25-30 carbs a day. I eat Dannon Light & Fit low carb/low sugar yogurt everyday and I have Fage Greek Yogurt as an occasional treat. I've found I have to be very careful with nuts due to portion control.

My advice to you would be to try to stay away from the Atkins bars. They have been known to stall a lot of people. I have followed "net carbs" from day 1 of Atkins...however, I ONLY deduct fiber...NOT sugar alcohols. For example, the chocolate peanut butter bars are 22 total carbs with 10 grams fiber....so,,,,I would count 12 carbs.