Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 03:06 PM   #1  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Talking I bought an elliptical!

WooHoo! I am so excited about this!

Anyway, I'm hoping that any fellow elliptical users can give me any of their tips and tricks? How should I start out? Start at 5 minutes, and work my way up? Every day? Every other day?

Tell me what works for you!

Thanks in advance,
Old 03-21-2002, 04:03 PM   #2  
Mooz

Hi there Marvin. I'm always interested in different types of exercises but I have never heard of this So what exactly is it?
Anne
Old 03-21-2002, 05:47 PM   #3  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Well, it's kind of a cross between an exercise bike and a treadmill... hard to explain, really.... try doing a web search, and you'll get a million hits, any one of which can show you a pic... HTH!
Old 03-22-2002, 11:29 AM   #4  

Hi there. I purchased an Orbitreck about two years ago and I can tell you that it is the ONLY piece of exercise equipment that I have EVER stayed with. Most of my equipment just ended up being used as clothes racks until I sold them for little or nothing at a garage sale.

I was totally out of shape..... well I was round, but that doesn't count. Anyway, two minutes was all I could do when I first started (having the handle bars on backwards didn't help) and now I can do 45 minutes in one setting without any problems. I don't use it everyday as I did when I first started. I have since added various exercise tapes to my routine, but I think that you will enjoy this piece of equipment. I usually turn the radio on or watch tv while using it and the time goes by very quickly. Good luck. BTW makes great looking legs.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:53 AM   #5  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Thanks Semo!

I'm seeing that I'll have to start out slow too! I think that I can maybe do 2-3 minutes every day, and then maybe try to up that by a minute every week... slow and steady progress is what I'd like to see!

My thighs already ache a little and all I did was play around with it for a few minutes last night! I can tell this is gonna be awesome! I just need to figure out where to put it so I can watch tv while I ride!
Old 03-22-2002, 12:41 PM   #6  
Getting healthier daily!!

Default You'll love it!!!

I don't have one but my daughter does and she loves it!!! Best of luck with yours!!!

I have a Weslo Air Strider (kind of like a Tony Little Gazelle but sturdier) and I would not do without it. I know that sometimes we hear from people that machines are not worth the price but I disagree. If one is careful to choose a reputable brand, it can be a really good experience.

Best wishes...
Old 03-25-2002, 11:44 AM   #7  

Just checking in to find out about your progress. So tell me how it goes, have you up-ed the minutes and or miles since you started?
Old 03-26-2002, 11:37 AM   #8  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Hi! I have managed to up (a little)! I started out at 5 minutes, with 3 - 15 second breaks! and am now up to almost 6 minutes with 2 breaks, so I'm happy about that!

Phew! Is this ever a hard workout! But it's sooooo what I need right now. I go to Curves, and that's a great muscle-building workout, but not really much on cardio for me. With my knees, I'm never able to get moving enough to get my heartrate up, but this ET works great! I'm really happy that I got it, and I can't wait until we move into our new house, and I can set it up permanently in front of the tv! (right now, I have to drag it out every time, and it's really heavy! I guess I can count that as a little bit of extra exercise, right? )

Anyway, I'm trying to get on the ET every day (except Saturday ~ rest day) and trying to up my time on there a little each day. I haven't figured out the mileage part of the computer yet, but i'm hoping to soon, so I can track that in Fitday too.

How long did it take you to build up to that 45 minute workout Semo?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2002, 02:20 PM   #9  

Glad to see that you are making good progress. I can't really say how long it took because I've had mine for so long. Mine has a timer and milage counter and I would use that as motivation. I would be a little less than a mile and think well I can make it to that point and it would make me do a little more than I had intended. (I'm a bookkeeper so I like nice even numbers on everything) Then it was two miles, then three and so on. Five has been the most that I have done at one time. Does yours have the arms that move back an forward? When I didn't feel like doing that I would pick up a couple of hand weights.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:29 AM   #10  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Yep, mine has the arm thing too, which is nice, because I'm finding that right now, it's too much for just my legs! Hopefully, I will progress to the point where my legs can handle it by themselves...

Anyway, I made it to 6 minutes last night, and I only took one momentary break at one minute, to turn the radio on and let the cat in the room! I was so excited when I finished!

And I know exactly what you mean about even numbers! LOL! That motivates me a lot too, as I'm somewhat *ahem* anal about things like that! Can't help it, but it sure is nice when you're trying to get in that extra little bit!
Old 04-01-2002, 12:20 PM   #11  

Gosh..I'm so envious..I bought an orbitrek a few months ago..and boy does it kick your butt..which is what I need. But I can still only do 2-4 minutes on it at a time and that is with just the legs. I turn off the arm mode. Just can't get both just yet. I have to admit I haven't done it like I should because it is too hard. I have a total gym and a treadmil, so I use those more. Now that the weather is beautiful here in AL have been walking at the local park. I just returned from FL over spring break and am up 2 lbs so need to get busy. Good luck on all your workouts and wish me luck..I will try to stick with the orbitrek atleast 3 x's a week.
Old 04-01-2002, 04:39 PM   #12  

Shelia: The Orbitreck that I have is the orginal model, it could be that it's easier to operate. I have a Ultra glider that I bought from HSN (a total gym knock off) and I hate that thing. The Orbitreck has been the only exercise equipment that I have stayed with for any length of time and I'm not really sure why but I do like it. I just turn the radio on and go. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:38 AM   #13  

Just checking on your progress. I hadn't been on mine in a while but jumped on it last night........drum roll please....... I went one hour and did 8.53 miles. Not bad for an old gal.

If I can do it so can you!
Old 04-04-2002, 10:58 AM   #14  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Whew! An hour?!?!?!? I can't even imagine that yet!

I'm still at about 5 minutes, although some days I can do 6, but yesterday, I only made it to 4... I've been totally exhausted though, so I'm not surprised!

I can't wait to be able to just get on and ride for an hour! You're amazing, Semo!
Old 04-10-2002, 02:16 PM   #15  
I wish I was a catfish

Thought I'd post my 2-cents worth. I love elliptical machines and when I first started out I could barely do 10-15 minutes. Two things have saved me and allowed me to go longer:

1. I reduced the incline, the programs are preset and usually the incline starts out at like 10, I reduced mine to the lowest setting and I can do 45 minutes. I'm gradually increasing the incline week by week, but I'm more concerned with keeping my heartrate up for a prolonged period of time rather than building muscles, so the incline really doesn't matter much.

2. I read a book. Although I love this machine, it has got to be one of the most boring pieces of exercise equipment I have ever used. I go to the gym and although they have TVs around it's hard to actually get into a TV program. I tried listening to music, but that didn't work. I can read and before I know it my 45 minutes is up! Plus I get a lot more studying done that way.

Hope this helps some. Good luck!
Closed Thread