Old 07-21-2007, 08:16 AM   #1  
Failure Is Not An Option

S/C/G: 250/145/138

Height: 5ft6

Default No Ketosis

Did Atkins years ago and had major success from the beginning. This time, have been on induction for 5 days and nothing. Not even in ketosis. Carbs are below 20g, exercising...not a pound or inch lost. Discouraged.
thinnythighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

How about posting your menu? You could be eating trigger foods or hidden carbs you may not be aware of.

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #3  
Failure Is Not An Option

S/C/G: 250/145/138

Height: 5ft6

Menu for the last week:

B: eggs, ham, sausage, cheddar cheese
L: tuna with mayo and pickles
D: steak, ribs with 2 tbs bbq sauce, fish, chicken, crab
Drink: unsweetened ice tea, water, diet coke
thinnythighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #4  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Hi Thinnythighs,
don't get discouraged, you'll get the answers you need here.
Once you do, you'll get back on track and start losing.

Welcome back JersyGyrl! Hope you had a good time on your vacation.
I'm also interested in what kind of hidden carbs could be lurking that we're not aware of.
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinnythighs View Post
Menu for the last week:

B: eggs, ham, sausage, cheddar cheese
L: tuna with mayo and pickles
D: steak, ribs with 2 tbs bbq sauce, fish, chicken, crab
Drink: unsweetened ice tea, water, diet coke
There could be a few potential problems here. Eggs are fine, ham & sausage are full of sodium & nitrates and quite possibly sugar...I'd be careful here. Cheese on Atkins Induction is limited to 3-4 oz a day...its a common staller for some people (myself included)...it is also constipating...you might want to keep this in mind. Pickles?...what kind? BBQ sauce...does it contain sugar, honey, molasses Is the unsweetened tea decaf? How much water?? Diet coke I'd be careful of this too. My main question is...where are your veggies & salad??? Atkins Induction is 20 carbs per day...12-15 of which should be coming from veggies & salad.

http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...e-1-induction/
http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...eptable-foods/
http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...-of-induction/

All the best to you!!

Kim

Old 07-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #6  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

On the sodium and nitrates, the reason why we are not supposed eat anything with that is because it causes us to retain water?
How much would the 3 to 4 oz be, if I were to slice it.
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #7  

I have a ketosis question. I bought the ketostix and on day 3 I showed the lightest color which, on the bottle, says "traces". I did it again this past weekend (which would have been day 7) and it was slightly darker where, according to the bottle, says "small". Does this mean that I AM in ketosis to the extent that i will lose weight? I don't notice a difference yet but it's only been one week.
ebplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #8  

Also, JerseyGyrl ~ you seem to be very knowledgable about Atkins. Maybe you can help me. My first 3 days i felt horrible (the fatigue and dizziness/light headed and slight headaches). I read about this and apparently this happens to alot of people. I guess it's withdrawals from the sugar. Anyway, the feelings past and day 4 - 5 I felt fine. Now, today, which is day 8 for me, I'm feeling like this again! I have stuck to under 20 carbs a day everday. if anything, over the weekend I had even less than during the week. Any idea what this is??
Old 07-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

any pi nk on the stick will mean you are in ketosis. the dark and light bearly mean how hydrated you are the less hydrated the ldarker your stick will be. that is why I test in the morning as my urine is concentrated and I can tell better.

as for feeling bad make sure you are taking your vits, especially the potassium and magnesium. I am not sure what else you are eating, but from your other post it sounded like you were really low on your carbs. make sure that you do eat some. you may be very sensitive to the carb factor. it took me almost 3 weeks this time (1 week before) before I felt great.
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Hi Ebplus3,

I appreciate you asking for my help regarding Atkins. I am by no means an expert but...I do know, Atkins...when done correctly, does work. I really can't give you a concrete answer regarding the ketostix, as I have never used them. I always just relied on the way my clothes felt to determine if I was losing inches & pounds. There are just too many factors that can cause false readings on those ketostix in my opinion. The amount of water you drink...the amount of fat you eat etc. I'm not saying they don't work...I am just saying I personally am not first hand familiar with them.

As for the dizziness, fatigue, light headedness & slight headaches...sounds like "Induction flu". This is very common when you are withdrawing from sugar & bad carbs. Try to keep your carbs at 20 per day, concentrating mainly on veggies & salad (12-15 of the 20 carbs should be coming from these), take a good multi-vitamin, drink a lot of water and avoid caffeine. It does get better

All the best to you!!!

Kim

Old 07-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #11  

Thank you for your responses nasus and Kim! With the exception of the weekend I do eat veggies and salad everyday (probably about the 12 - 15/day that I should be). Today I'm feeling okay though. Maybe my carbs were just too low over the weekend???

In regards to the ketostix....so if it shows that I am in ketosis but it's light, then that's actually a good thing right? I don't want to be dehydrated. Is it possible to be in ketosis but not lose weight? Today is day 9 for me and I've probably only lost around 3 lbs. Is this normal or should I be discouraged?