Old 07-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Default Whats wrong with Subway???

I dont have time to cook anything, and my only healthy choice for lunch is Subway. The same with dinner. Its cheap too when they have the specials for $2.49. So other than maybe wanting to use your calories for maybe more food, and variety. What else is wrong with this? I havent dropped any weight in the last week because Im not eating anything. Ive been eating Kashi Cereal, Milk, 6 inch Subway, and a lean pocket. But I dont get full of the lean pocket, and rather eat subway. I cant eat during the day except for an hour break. I dont know if thats going to help or not, but its my only option right now. The sandwhichs at subway are 400 calories and down, if I just get lunck meat it not so many calories. I usually get chicken. But this is what I was thinking since Im barely at 1000 calories now, and about to go to sleep.
B- 1c Kashi or Fiber one cereal 180
1c Milk 90
Yogurt 160
L- Subway 400
D-Subway 400
S- skinny cow ice cream or something around 200c and tasty

Im taking multi-vitamins. And am considering maybe alli.

Is this okay?? I dont have time for anything else. Escpecially if Im going to go through with me getting a membership to the gym. Theres just not enough hours in the day anymore.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #2  

Its not enough calories, esp if you are going to work out. Subway has a lot of salt too.

I would add another snack.. maybe make your own sandwich with high fiber bread ..

Subway subs aren't filling for me.. they make me hungry again after an hour or two...
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I am going to disagree that this isn't enough calories. The plan you laid out would be more around 1200-1500 a day, depending on what exactly you ate. Where I DO see the problem, is that you have veggies on your sub twice a day, but you don't have any fruit in your plan. Could you possibly make you evening snack a 100 calorie treat instead of 200, and add some fruit in for the other 100 calories?

Also, you have only been doing this for about a week, correct? Give it some time.

We didn't get fat in a week, and we aren't going to lose it in a week.

I would go for the roasted chicken breast, or something like that instead of the lunch meat type ham, etc. for your subs.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #4  
Downsizing

The most successful diet plan is going to be the one that works for YOU. If eatting subway helps you lose the weight, go for it!

I agree with aphil; go for the roasted chicken breast. And load up on the veggies. I get a six inch and have it with either the baked lays or I have a big bowl of fruit with it and that fills me up. Oh, another thing I do is have a bowl of soup that's low in calories and fat with it sometimes. That fills me up pretty good!
MeredithP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Are you getting condiments and cheese on your subs? If you look on their website these are not included in the calorie count. So, unless you are calculating that in, you are eating more than you think.

I agree with Aphil, it can be slow going at times. Give it more than just a week before you get too frustrated!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #6  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

Definitely you have to watch out for condiments and cheese. I know there is a low-fat honey mustard, but I believe it's pretty high in calories and considering at a restaurant they're not measuring like we do at home, how can you ever be sure you're only receiving ONE serving of something like a dressing.

I don't see a whole lot of fruits/veggies in your diet. A lean pocket might fill you up more if it was paired with a huge green salad and possibly even a bit of protein (some nuts in your salad). Subway and Lean Pockets are high in sodium so it's also possible you're retaining water. Like Meredith said, there are lots of low cal soup options out there. I think a cup of chicken broth is like 15 calories, buy the reduced sodium/fat free and add in a bunch of veggies (carrot/celery/peppers/tomato/etc) and you'll have a nice filling snack with low cals and low sodium.

I bring my lunch every day as well as my snacks. That way not only am I not tempted, but I can create my own variety and know exactly what is in it and how much. I find that this type of planning allows for a huge amount of low calorie food and I consume tons of fruit/veggies.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

I usually get the roasted chicken breast on wheat no cheese, jalapenos, lettuce and olives. And a 35 calorie packet of itailian dressing. I want to try and mix it around with all different kinds of subs though.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #8  

Height: 5'2"

One thing I have noticed with their daily specials is that it seems to me that they put less protein in them. That is how, in my opinion, they can lower the price. When I eat the specials, the bread is the prominent feature of the meal.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #9  

When I eat at Subway-the veggies tend to be the main feature of the meal. Besides just the lettuce, tomatoes, etc. I also load up on the baby spinach, and some of the other veggies as well and it really gives bulk for less calories.

My dh's cousin works at Subway, and they don't do anything different with the specials. She said they have a certain amount of slices of lunch meat that they are supposed to use on each 6" segment, the same with cheese slices, meatballs, etc.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220+/174.2/140

Whenever I need to eat on the go, I always look for a Subway. I don't think there is anything wrong with a 6-inch sub on whole wheat. It's a great option and gives you plenty of space for snacks in your diet. I would definitely get their raisins or apple slices to get some fruit in your diet as well.

I really like Subway, because they are the only really health fast food options with actually healthy options. For their kids meals, you get a small sub, SKIM milk or 100% juice, and either apple slices or raisins (and it says on the menu that you CANNOT substitute non-healthy options)! At every other fast food place, the kids meals comes with fries and sodas and if you ask to substitute vegetables and milk, they look at you like you're crazy and wander around trying to figure out where they keep that.

My FAVORITE fast meal (I wouldn't call it fast food) place is Au Bon Pain. They have the best soups. You get a large filling bowl of soup chock full of vegetables, many of which have less than 200 calories!
Anna829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #11  

Juice is healthy? It's straight sugar.

I think Subway is okay, but its marketing is brilliant. Suddenly skimpy sandwiches which are all bread are supposed to be healthy.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220+/174.2/140

I always order the skim milk for my daughter and drink water myself, but I still think an 8oz 100% juice box is preferable to a small soda, which reduces bone density and has no nutritional value whatsoever.
Anna829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #13  

They are only skimpy if you don't like many veggies. When I go there, my sandwiches end up huge-because they are so loaded with veggies. I easily get 2-3 veggie servings in a 6" sub. If you are picky and only get lettuce and tomato, then the sandwich isn't obviously going to be as big as if you got the green peppers, baby spinach, cukes, etc. on it as well.

As far as the juice goes-whole fruit is better than juice obviously-but-juice is better than soda. Most sodas (except Jones) are made with high fructose corn syrup, which the body doesn't process as well as cane sugar, or the sugars present in 100% juice or fruit. I would rather have my child drink something that is at least natural, and not made with HFCS.

Subway is still a treat at our house-only eaten occasionally, but it is a heck of a lot better than chicken nuggets, Coke, and fries.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #14  
it's always something

It looks like your whole menu consists of dairy, bread, and luncheon meat. If it were me, I'd replace the lunch sandwich with a big salad. I just checked the Subway site and they offer several salads that would be a good option. I think two subs per day is too much bread, especially not enough veggies. Then I'd buy a bag of frozen blueberries, and toss a handful into the morning cereal or mix them in with the yogurt Maybe replace the evening ice cream with some strawberries?

What most people don't realize is that after Jared came out to the public about his "subway diet", Subway sent out a press release that didn't exactly condemn his diet, but they stressed that while they were happy for Jared, they wish he had included a more balanced breakfast, and more fresh vegetables and fruits in his diet plan. The press release was up for a long time, but when they realized Jared was a goldmine for Subway, they deleted the press release and hired him.

Maybe less Subway, more veggies would be a better option
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

The one thing I thought was interesting was Jared's "before subway" diet.

One entire large pizza hut pizza for dinner
1 (or 2) double whoppers, large fries, coke for lunch
Egg mcmuffins or some other fast food for breakfast

He switched to a 6 inch sub, no cheese, no mayo, walking to subway to get it. Obviously a big change.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote