General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Free dial-up internet access?

I'm traveling this weekend and I have a laptop, but it's not wireless, it uses a modem. However, the hotel I'm staying at only offers wireless connections. So I was wondering if there were any "real" free ISP's out there that I can use temporarily to dial into with a modem computer.

Any suggestions on any good ones?

Thanks!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Would it be worth it to you to purchase a wireless card? I bought one for about $15 and it works great.

You could do a trial of AOL or something though if you really want a temporary dialup.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Would it be worth it to you to purchase a wireless card? I bought one for about $15 and it works great.
Oh, I didn't know you could do that.

I just looked up some info on wireless cards and I'm seeing prices for them of over $100.

Where did you get yours?
Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I got mine at Best Buy- it was aroung $50... I some for as little as $30, though (but they were kinda big to be hauling around with my laptop). It's a Linksys and it works great... much faster than dial up and I can take it everywhere.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:42 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
I got mine at Best Buy- it was aroung $50... I some for as little as $30, though (but they were kinda big to be hauling around with my laptop). It's a Linksys and it works great... much faster than dial up and I can take it everywhere.
Oh, ok, I thought it was just a PCMCIA card that sticks into the slot where the dial-up modem goes.

It's really not necessary for me to take my laptop with me, I just thought it would be nice to have around in case I needed to get online for something and the hotel doesn't offer dial-up.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
Oh, ok, I thought it was just a PCMCIA card that sticks into the slot where the dial-up modem goes.

It's really not necessary for me to take my laptop with me, I just thought it would be nice to have around in case I needed to get online for something and the hotel doesn't offer dial-up.
You could also check with the hotel and see if they have a computer station- a lot of the time they charge (some don't, though), but it's not a big deal if you are just checking email or something.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
You could also check with the hotel and see if they have a computer station- a lot of the time they charge (some don't, though), but it's not a big deal if you are just checking email or something.
No, it would be for use in my room. But like I said, it's really no big deal. I just wish they'd offer dial-up as well as wireless.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #8  

Search for USB wireless adapters. Any of the big online gear shops should have lots of options in the $25-40 range.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Search for USB wireless adapters. Any of the big online gear shops should have lots of options in the $25-40 range.
Thanks!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #10  
hara hachi bu

Yeah, unless your portable PC is archaic, I'd be willing to guess you could find a PCMCIA wireless card for the same - $25-50.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I got mine on sale and its a pcmcia card. I also know they have usb ones now as well, as someone mentioned above. You could try perusing walmart or best buy to see what they have.

The cheapest (and decent brand) usb or pcmcia adapters I see online at either of those places are $30. If you had a little more time, you could probably check other online stores and have something cheaper shipped to you.

Last edited by nelie; 07-20-2007 at 01:03 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote