Old 07-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/219/160

Height: 5'9"

Default embarrassing question...about having the poops on atkins

Not exactly what I want others to know, but has anyone experienced really loose stools/diarrhea while doing atkins? At first I was having them every day, after every meal. Now it's every other day I get the poops after mealtimes. I like to think it's all that fat leaving my body, but I just don't know. I know the majority have experienced constipation (not this girl) and I'm still in induction at 3 1/2 weeks. Mostly b/c I don't mind it at all and quite enjoy eating the foods. I plan on staying in induction for awhile longer, but could that be causing it?
2songbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #2  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Hi 2songbirds,
My sister and Dad experienced that when they were on the induction phase and couldn't figure out why.
I know that my Dad was eating the Atkins bars and they contain alcohol sugar which I know affects you in that way. So he stopped eating them and I guess it cleared up. As for my sister she doesn't know why, but it did clear up. I did not have that.
It could be our system removing all the junk.
I was reading the book to see if I could find something out. Still looking!
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #3  

thanks. I've actually been staying away from the bars as they have waaayyy too many carbs for me. I"m staying within the 20grams in induction. I do have a shake when I"m working for my meal. Thank god I haven't gotten the poops after drinking that while at work . I have the lifetime maintainence book and the 2 week jumpstart induction book (both I got back in late 2003). There's nothing in there about having the poops, just constipation.

Every time I go to the bathroom now, I think "good...rid myself of all that yucky fat" and it's not so bad after all. I just don't know what could be causing all of this. I've been searching the internet and this forum for any kind of info, but haven't really found any.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who went thru this!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #4  

Default fitintime

BTW, I saw your siggy and noticed that we weigh the same and have almost the same goal! I actually weighed like 235 when I started eating healthy and such after my baby, but I wasn't happy doing that and was constantly hungry. Plus the weight wasn't coming off fast enough. So I count 227 as the weight when I started the atkins. I'd love to be down to 150 again, where I was 10 years ago in highschool, but I'd be happy with anything in the 150's!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #5  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

could be eggs.......too many eggs moves things along pretty fast for me
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #6  

I cut out the majority of the eggs in my diet wondering if that was it. Today I only had 1, and it was hardboiled in my salad. My god was today bad though. After eating my small dinner which was breadless sandwich wraps, I went 5 times. I also went once after lunch today which was a salad. Now tomorrow I prolly won't go at all. I never thought about the sugar alcohols, but I don't know what I"d be eating that has that many in it. Heck, I feel like I'm taking Alli that makes you constantly poop yourself if you don't get there in time. (no, haven't done that yet). It doesn't hurt when I have to go, there's no stomach cramping whatsoever. I just don't know what gives, or if anyone else is going thru this. Maybe in the next couple days though I'll try not eating any eggs and see how it goes.

thanks for the replies!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #7  
Mrs. Determined

Hey how about that, us weighing the same. Let's make it our goal to lose weight together, or try. I'm really gung ho about as I've never been at 150 at an age where I looked good.
I know we can do it!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 130/130/115

Height: 5'6''

I just started Induction this week. Yesturday I had stomach pains and very loose stools. But today is going much better. Even if your body is losing fat I don't think it sounds right to go that much! Esspecially for 3 1/2 weeks! I have done a ton of research on this diet and have never heard of that! Maybe you should see a Dr. just incase
LClacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #9  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

hmmm, I dont know. Are you eating alot of oil based salad dressings? That will do it for me too, usually within a 1/2 hr of eating it. Other than that, Im not sure. Maybe you arent enough bulk fibre? Are you eating cheese....that might help firm things up a bit too.

I would think that if you cant get this under control within the next couple days, get checked out. You dont want to get dehydrated either, so watch for that. I hope you get this all straightened out soon.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #10  

as for the dressing, I use either chunky bleu cheese, or ranch. I also put dry bleu cheese and provolone in the salad.

As for eating enough cheese... I had to cut down b/c I LOVE cheese and was afraid of the hidden carbs in it. But I'm still eating a lot of cheese. I've never been one to get clogged up from cheese. It actually has the other effect on me. I'm not sure if I"m lactose intolerant or not though.

I'm thinking after yesterdays episodes I won't go again. This has been the cycle. I also weigh a pound or 2 more than usual after having those episodes. Strange how when I don't go for a day my weight goes down.

I just can't find any info on this, or what would be causing it. I did have IBS over 12 years ago, but I know how to keep it under control. THis is just too extreme for me. Strange though how there's absolutely no stomach cramping with it though. Just very, very loose.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitinTime View Post
Hey how about that, us weighing the same. Let's make it our goal to lose weight together, or try. I'm really gung ho about as I've never been at 150 at an age where I looked good.
I know we can do it!
sounds like a plan!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #12  
Mrs. Determined

As I was thinking about my situation when I first started induction, like I said earlier, I didn't have the runs or anything, but I did have soft stools. The color of them is what also matters too. If they are a light brown and float, that is a healthy stool. But if they are really dark and or black even, I know that's not healthy. Also as I've gone along on the OWL, my stools have gotten really long. I don't mean to get graffic, but it's important that we share our experiences, right! I feel lighter when that happens and I feel like my colon is getting cleaned out properly.
So, like I said the bigger, the lighter and if they float is good. Even if are soft and light it's healthy.
But I think our bodies are just getting rid of all the other junk in our system that after induction our bm will become normal.
At least in my experience that is what happend.
And always eat your vegetables and salads like your supposed to, that's what give us roughage.
I hope this helps!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #13  
Atkins Chick

S/C/G: highest234/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2 1/2" the 1/2 matters!

I had this too a few times. It happened when I went too long between meals. It was very loose and bright yellow, so I think it had something to do with my liver / bile. I'm not sure what causes it. I hope it gets better for you. Way to go so far. Your stats are awesome. We started at the same weight but I only started a week ago. I'm in Pa also. My original goal was 150 but I think I may go for less. With this way of eating I feel in control of my appetite like never before. I love it. Good Luck to you.
problysewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #14  
Mrs. Determined

Let's all lose weight together, we're all pretty close with each other anyway.
I told my husband that when I lose another 5 lb that we could go to Rock Bottom and drink a beer, but the more I lose, the less I want to go. LOL!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #15  
Atkins Chick

S/C/G: highest234/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2 1/2" the 1/2 matters!

That sounds great. I know what you mean. The more I do this the more I want to keep up the good work.
problysewin is offline   Reply With Quote