General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #1  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Smile TIME SAVING TIPS...Share yours here!

Ok, we are all busy, whether with work, kids, pets, you name it...so lets share our time saving tips with each other....

I have a couple

Buy fresh garlic in bulk, peel it and freeze it, then when you need it get it out of the baggie, then you only smell like garlic 1 time vs everytime you need it.

Brown several pounds of hamburger at a time, rinse, drain well and freeze in smaller (portion size) baggies...when you are ready to use each one, season as needed for whatever you are using it for.

I would love to see some real creative ones, I had a list of them when I thought to start this thread, and now that I am sitting at the computer I am brainlocked.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I portion out my snacks for work on Sunday night. It might be 10 crackers, cherry tomatoes, whatever. I put 5 days worth in ziplocks so they are easy to grab and go. I'll try to think of more...
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Good thread STILLTRYIN ~ one thing we do is cook extra chicken breasts when we BBQ and put in the freezer. Because so much of my pasta, chili and casserole dishes use the basic tomato sauce, onion and hamburger, I make a big batch then divide and add the "extras" for each dish I plan on making.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #4  

I make my hubby cook while I walk
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #5  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

I do the same with the garlic - except I put them all in a blender and blend them. I then add olive oil blend them more until the mixture resembles humus. I then freeze it - the reason I add olive oil is that its makes it a bit more easier to spoon a bit out of the container.
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I also cook up extra chicken breasts when we grill them. I chop them up and use in salad. I also portion out the snacks and put them in bags and keep in a huge bowl. Can't think of anything else but I will be watching this thread for other ideas.

Going to have to cook up some ground beef and freeze it, like that idea...having it ready whenever. But, does it taste as fresh as when you first cook it? I have this thing with leftovers...I hate them! With the exception of a few things. So, to me it is like leftovers...just wondering about the taste.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #7  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

the ground beef is fine when you thaw and use, at least I think so, but I usually use it in taco's or spaghetti (where it is flavored/seasoned)
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #8  
hara hachi bu

I do a lot of cooking in batches and freezing, too. I also buy an assortment of vegetables and cut them up right away, putting them in a big container in the fridge. I portion them out so I always have vegetables with whatever else in the fridge for a lunch for work.

I keep a pair of Crocs (or other comfortable, go-anywhere shoes) in my car for situations where I can squeeze in exercise. For instance, sitting in an unexpected traffic jam after work one day, I pulled off to a nearby lake and walked around it while traffic died down, rather than spend an extra 45 minutes in my car.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I buy frozen veggies most of the time instead of fresh, no cutting, prepping or wasted veggies in the fridge.

I always cook for more than one meal. I have a rice cooker that I make a few cups of rice in to last the week. If I'm cooking, I figure I should make enough leftovers for a couple days.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote