Old 07-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
moxiesd
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

Height: 5'2"

TURKEY & SPINACH LASAGNA
Makes 12 (300 calorie) servings
Allow about 3 hours from start to eat!

8 whole wheat lasagna noodles (8 oz package)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 chopped bell pepper, any color
1-1/2 pounds ground hot Italian turkey sausage (I used sweet turkey sausage, and removed the casings)
6 garlic cloves, chopped
3-1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce (26 oz jar plus water to rince)
3 Cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided (1-1/2 & 1-1/2)
1-1/2 cup part-skim ricotta (15 - 16 oz continer)
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (approx 3 oz)
2 cups chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained (I used one large bag of fresh spinach...microwaved 2 minutes)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh oregano
** (I used 3 Tablespoons Italian seasoning)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven eo 350 degrees F

2. Bring several quarts of salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add noodles and cook until tender, 7 minutes. (Depends on type of noodle using...I used spelt noodles, required 11 minutes.) Remove from water and place on a towel-lined baking sheet.

3. Place the olive oil, onion, and bell pepper in a large saute pan over medium high heat. Sauti until the vegetables begin to sweat, 5 minutes.

4. Add sausage and garlic and stir to combine. Saute until sausage cooks through, 10 minutes. (I fried the sausage out first & drained excess fat)

5. Add pasta sauce to sausage mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

6. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups mozarella and remaining ingredients; set aside. (Don't forget to include the spinach)

7. To assemble: Spray a 13 X 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1 Cup sausage mixture in the bottom of the dish and arrange 4 noodles over the turkey mixture; top with 1-1/2 cups sausage mixture. Spread half of the cheese mixture over sausage mixture. Repeat layers, ending with the remaining sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese.

8. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned and the lasagna is hot and bubbly.

9. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes. Cut the lasagna into 12 equal pieces. Serve each person one piece of lasagna and reserve the remainder for another meal!!