Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #1  
Meg

Default Topic 11 - Overall Assessment

Last edited by Meg; 11-27-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I dont think there was ever a point that I would have read this and said "oh, ok, she is right". But I see that many people could either use it to justify continuing a dangerously unhealthy life or become utterly demoralized by it.

I just see this as a hope sucking book backed by questionable science at best. Where is the 2 thumbs down symbol?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

My first reaction on finishing the book was that I was glad I hadn't read it before I started losing weight (or early in the process) because I think I never would have tried!

I do think she makes a point we don't hear enough about biology, but if I had the chance to talk to her, I'd ask if she got to write the book SHE wanted, or if there was a push from the publisher to "tell a story" about biology, rather than writing something more nuanced and complex. However, I don't think that's the case, having tracked down one of her NYT pieces that kind of fluffs over the details of what she calls "classic" research!

That's what I wanted her to do differently, tell a FULL, complex story, not a soundbite. Soundbites never fill me up!
Old 07-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #4  

Default Thanks, Meg!!

BTW, Meg, thanks for leading such a thoughtful, meaningful discussion on the topic! You worked hard to make this a WONDERFUL experience!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
But I see that many people could either use it to justify continuing a dangerously unhealthy life or become utterly demoralized by it.

Where is the icon where I say that ennay is 100% correct?

And yeah, Heather, if I had read this 3 years ago I would have been like "to **** with it!" and give up before I started.

Well, whatever. I disagree with the author and will make it my "life's work" to remain in a state which she regards as an enigmatic paradox. One of the mysterious and few reduced-obese semi-starved neurotics.

Maybe one day we will let her into the secrets of our cult. Secret #1: We exist.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #6  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Based on her conclusions, she should have titled the book "Rethinking Fat" because she believes that everyone will return to being fat.

Had I read this book before I had my switch in meds, I would have thought, "What's the point of even trying to lose weight, I'll just regain it anyway."

It would have given me a defeatist attitude.

While I found it very interesting to read about the various studies and what the researcheres deducted from them, I would not recommend this book to anyone on a weight loss program.

So, my hope is that she sells few books.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I did not read the book, but I followed the discussion. IMHO, I think this book is far more detrimental than it is of any good.

If I met the author, I'd tell her about all the wonderful people here at 3FC that have lost weight and are supporting each other to keep it off.

One of us needs to write a book about this very topic.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
One of us needs to write a book about this very topic.
Agreed!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #9  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I nominate Meg and Wyllen . . .
Old 07-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I haven't read the book either, and -- based on Meg's synopsis and all the discussion topics which I have been following -- I definitely do not intend to read it. I wholeheartedly agree that it could be a very depressing and dangerous read for a lot of people.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 259/140/140

Height: 5'6"

Reading this book and following along with the discussion has really brought things home for me. I know genetics plays a large roll. My whole family is/was overweight. My biological brothers and I are always struggling with our weight. My adopted sister is thin and never struggles.
This leads me to be more determined than ever to stay at maintainance. I am always out to prove someone wrong, to go against the grain. When I think of this book it makes me work out a little harder and eat a little less. I still enjoy myself on the weekends but during the week I stay strict because I know if I don't genetics will put it all back on.
Terrie
Old 07-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I did get the book. But I didn't make it past page 60 or so. I just found it - pointless, aggravating, annoying and plain old depressing. I don't see why anyone would or SHOULD read this book. Is it to make us more aware of how hard it is to maintain a weightloss. Because if it is, well I think there are better ways to do it.

Meg, you did a spectacular job of navigating the discussion and I thank you. I would much rather listen to what you have to say then the author.

And yeah, someone here needs to write a POSITIVE book on maintaining. Not to sugar coat it, but to just let people know that it can be done.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Heh, my message of maintaining would not be a positive to a lot of people. Food restriction, calorie counting, endless salads for lunch, carrot sticks for snacks - for the rest of my life. I am okay with it, Robin is okay with it, Meg is okay with it...are the majority of people seeking long term weight loss okay with it?

My book would depress people too!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #14  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Hey-- I just read an interview with her in the June edition of Elle magazine.

Here's the lowdown: She is 59 years old, apparently a running and cycling fiend, has never had a weight problem or food issues and loves apples.

Huh. So she really understands our struggles then.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

On the positive side, the author says weightloss and subsequent maintenance is nearly impossible. My reaction to any statement like that, is "Oh yeah? watch me!" I don't think this is what she had in mind, though! .

In general, I don't think the book contributed much to the body of popular dieting literature. I found it discouraging and depressing to read so called scientific evidence proving what I already know, that weightloss/maintenance is difficult.

For inspiration, there a lots of other books to read that present a more positive outlook. I also like to remember that there a plenty of other folks who quit drinking with AA, or quit smoking through various support groups. These people are also in the minority, but they did it! So can we.
Closed Thread