Old 07-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #1  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Default Today I was nice!

Okay, so that is not really true, but it could be. Angie's thread got me thinking about how much we all have to gain by being good to each other. I have heard it said that the fastest way to help yourself is to help someone else. I propose that anyone who would like to join me, let's make a goal to do something good for someone else every day. It does not have to cost money or take a lot of time, even holding a door, not getting mad at phone solicitor, dropping a quick note, or smiling at someone can really make somebody's day. What does this have to do with weight loss, you ask? Tons. Our attitudes, self esteem, and overall happiness are all affected by our weight. In the weight loss battle, we have much to overcome emotionally. Doing good makes us feel good, therefore making us wanted to try harder in all aspects of our lives, including WL efforts.

So, who is in? Let's post our efforts in order to inspire each other!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #2  
LAWL since 2/07

S/C/G: 240 / 226.2 / 130

Height: 5'1"

I'm in - and you were nice today - thanks
smjezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #3  

Height: 5'2"

I just got done mailing a package of paperback books to a Mom that I know who has a son who is being treated at Walter Reed Army Medical center. The books are for her and her son to read as he undergoes treatment and then they can add the books to the mobile library cart for others to read when they are finished with the books.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/194/160

Height: 5'6"

This has been my way of expressing my faith for many years. I make sure I am kind to overworked cashiers, hold doors open for people with baby strollers and packages, and let a poor guy cut in front of me in the checkout line if he has one item and I have a cart full. I do think that trying to be positive, nice and kind will flow into other areas of our lives. The little things that we do not seek recognition for make our lives and the lives of others much brighter.

I haven't been here much in the past few months, but showed up to get some inspiration to get back on the LAWL wagon, even if I can't make it to my center very often. The first thing I saw was the "LAWL Boost," which got my hiney in gear and starting my own little "Boost" session. So someone else's kindness has impacted me already.
TracyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #5  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

Okay Katie.. I was nice to my mother in law
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrispieD View Post
Okay Katie.. I was nice to my mother in law
WOW! You're going to be up for sainthood if that keeps up!

BTW... I was nice at school and lent my knives and equipment to someone who didn't come prepared to class.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #7  
Katie

Height: 5'1

You guys rule! Today the garbage truck picked up the whole street except for us and our next door neighbors. I called the city and was very sweet about asking if they would please come back for ours, instead of having a fit.

Oh, and Kristen, can I just say WOW!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 228 in 2006/185/160

Height: 5'4"

WOW Kristen! You win! LOL
MomOfThreeTeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #9  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

I called up my friend, who just lost her husband, on June 27th, and invited her out for coffee/beer/movies, whatever she wants.

ETA: Thanks Katie! I love the idea of posting a daily nicety. It will remind me to make a point of being extra nice or patient each day.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #10  
Debbie on LAWL

S/C/G: 239/223/135

Height: 5'5

Great idea Katie. I'm glad you started today instead of yesterday...I am afraid I was quite Bit**y all day

Today I played "therapist" to a co-worker who needed to vent.
Debbie367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #11  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

Don't get scared ladies..this was just a one time thing.. I wanted Katie to be proud of me
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #12  
Katy66

I don't think I did anything THAT nice today but I will try tomorrow!
Katy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #13  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

i wasn't very nice to a few people today, but i'll sure try tomorrow.
but for the record, i was nice to the people i do like! ha.

great post katie!
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:05 AM   #14  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Katie--perfect timing--just when I want to kick someone you come along with this great idea!

Yesterday I was nice and took DD#1 to get a pedicure and to the Texas Pharmacy Museum (she's only 10 and right now this is her career choice--fine with me!)

Today I had EVERY intention of getting up and getting a jump on the yardwork (DH is not eagerly anticipating the 2 acre jungle we will have to deal with after vacation). Not gonna happen today--last night the skies opened up and poured all night long. I love thunder and rain while I am sleeping-ahhhh. I would say the storm reflected my current mood but the meds I was on just made it more enjoyable.

I think I am taking DD and her sleepover friend (oh yes--mother of the year right now--2 sleepovers in 3 days "But moooommmm--I won't see my friends for 2 whole weeks....") to the Discovery Center to goof off. Lots of hands on science stuff to play with--new exhibit on MONEY which she is all about right now.

We are having some issues with allowance--I know they need one to learn about saving, wants vs. needs, but DH and I can't agree on the details--he doesn't want to just "give" them $ without them earning it but all the info in parenting magazines/websites says don't attach it to chores. They have chores that they do "just because we let them live here and eat". ANY SUGGESTIONS???
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Lea Ann - When DD was younger, and before all the sports got in the way of schedules, we gave a certain amount per week just for living there, and then she could earn "x" amount more by doing certain chores. For example, if she vacuumed the living room she would get another dollar. I think when she was around 11 or so we gave her $5/week and then she could earn up to $10 more by doing chores. Which, by the way, she would go in spurts with. One week she would do the max, and then two weeks with not much, then two more weeks of everything, etc. Just a thought. And I'm not totally sure on how much $$$ we made everything, but there's a starting point.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote