Old 07-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #1  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Default The Secret

Has anyone here read/watched/listened to The Secret?

I have it on my ipod right now, and I'm totally loving it. I spend a little time each day thinking about the things I'm grateful for, and the things I want to have in my life.

I was a little skeptical about the weight loss piece they mention, but I've been trying hard to 'not think fat thoughts' for the last week, and my new mantra is "Everything I eat pushes me toward my perfect weight". I've had good results in the past week, and I'm sure all these positive thoughts can't be doing any harm.

On their website I also found that you coudl download the movie for $4.95, so I'm going to watch that tonight.

If nothing else, the principles discussed in the book HAVE to make you feel better. Lots of being nice to others, thinking about what you want, not what you don't want, positive thoughts about yourself -- it's been nice.

I just wanted to mention it as I'm recommending it to just about everyone I meet! I'm really crazy about it.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I have to say I haven't read it, and have been quite biased against it, because of an aquaintance who after reading it, decided that the severe allergic reaction I had in her store (I am severely allergic to mildews and animal danders, which were present in her shop) was basically all in my head, and that I could cure it completely and immediately by "thinking" myself well.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #3  
LAWL since 2/07

S/C/G: 240 / 226.2 / 130

Height: 5'1"

Don't know what you're talking about. Where is it?
smjezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #4  
Katy66

Haven't heard of it but anything that will help to motivate me I'm interested in....do tell!
Katy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #5  
Katy66

I'm so excited...I figured out how to fix my avatar thing. That is my DD Taken in the early spring. I'll try to get some more pics to post later.
Katy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #6  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Angie- Some of the car salesman at my DH's job swear by it. I borrowed it from my sister, but have yet to watch it. I think now would be a great time, huh?
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #7  

Height: 5ft 4in

IMO it goes against my beliefs. I do not think that everything in our life can be achieved by just thinking it so. (lose wieght, get rid of your allergies etc.) Yes we have to have a possitive attitude and we are in control of how we handle situations, but I do believe that there is a higher power at work and for me I owe all I have to that.
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #8  
LAWL since 2/07

ok i think this must be it http://www.thesecret.tv/home.html

Not sure what it is you have on your ipod though - lemme know if there's something I can listen to online that I'm missing
Old 07-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #9  
Start Date Alli 1-4-08

S/C/G: 262/197.5/150

Height: 5'9"

After pushing The Secret really hard on her show, I read that Oprah had to go back on TV and somewhat tone down her endorsement of it. She had a woman write in and tell her she had completely stopped her treatment for breast cancer and was "thinking/wishing" herself well with 'the secret' after seeing it on her show. While I don't think there is anything wrong with positive thinking, I think you have to be realistic.

For me, depending solely upon myself to use the power of attraction and positive thought to "get what I want" and not leaning on God and realizing that all things come to me through Him is against my beliefs. But that is just my humble opinion.

Thanks for bringing it up, it is an interesting topic.
RaceGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

My $0.02...

My aunt had us all over to watch it when the video first came out on Oprah. Don't tell DH, but I also bought the book.

As for the anti-religious sentiment, I really don't think the secret goes against it at all. If you watch the video you will see that it speaks of a higher power at work in the universe. Your higher power can be God, Buddah, Mohammed, Jesus, or the Goddess. It doesn't matter. The whole point of the secret is that like attracts like. If you are thankful for what you have, you are creating a positive energy that will make it easier to create, recognize and accept those opportunities that come your way.

Every religion teaches you to be grateful and to appreciate the gifts you have been given at the hands of your higher power (again, given to you by God, Jesus, Buddah, etc.) It actually shows how similar various religions worldwide really are.

As for the "thinking it so" and curing your health problems, they also tell you specifically in the video that you should still have the medical procedures. Basically it's harnessing the positive attitude and using that as a method to heal yourself - IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS. They give an example of people diagnosed with terminal cancer, but using the secret and being cured in fewer chemo treatment - just as we've all heard of people having incredibly miraculous recoveries from illnesses and diseases. And usually when we hear those stories it's "he just refused to give up" or "she just had this incredibly great attitude and believed she would get well". It's the secret, just that it wasn't named that. Same process.

It's interesting reading. And definitely inspirational. Unfortunately, like everything, there are some fanatics out there that take things to the extreme and give things a bad reputation.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #11  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Great discussion. Thanks Cassi, I wanted to make that point, that the reader or viewer might believe the 'gifts' come from the universe, from God, Buddha, Alla or whoever. The name is not important.

Here's what I'm willing to vouch for:

I've been using it to get great parking spots at the office...and it has totally been working.
When I treat others around me with compassion, I feel better about myself (even if I don't really like them)
When I tell myself that great things will come to me, and when I believe it, I feel really good just imagining it.

Shannon, (Where have you been??) I ordered the audio book from audible.com (about $15 I think), but they have a CD version on their site too, and the downloadable movie for $5
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #12  

Default Similar Book

I just finished a book I borrowed from the library, "Fat, Broke and Lonely - No More" by Victoria Moran which seems very similar to The Secret. I was surprised that I liked this book, maybe I will have to check The Secret out. I admit, that when I first started to hear about it, it seemed a little cult-ish. But if it's been on Oprah . . .

Melissa
videochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #13  
LAWL since 2/07

Thanks for the post Angie - I can use some positive right now. I've been obessing over the fact that this diet is sucking, my COD sucks and life in general is sucking right now. As you can see my mood makes posting ill advised. Perfect timing for this though, thanks and I will be checking into it!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #14  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

this is interesting--and I do put great store in thinking positive and doing for others--my girls have been repeating "what goes around comes around " all their lives--long before they understood the meaning and now that they get it I feel like I have given them a treasure. I love random act of of kindness (the veterans here know that DH and I secretly buy dinner once a month for strangers --usually an elderly couple--and now my girls love to scan the restuarant for our "target"). But everyone is right--when we get out of our funk--even if nothing has changed otherwise--we just feel better. I have a sticker on my car that just says "Life is Good" and it's more a reminder to myself than the world-- to remember the things I have and not the things I don't. Millions of people around the world would give anything for healthy children, a loving husband, freedom, a home, food on the table--things I take for granted everyday. Geez girls--you got me all stirred up--thanks--I probably needed it today!
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #15  
LAWL since 2/07

I'll just keep reading this thread and maybe it will pull me out of my "funk". That's a wonderful idea to buy dinner for someone once a month.