Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 05:33 AM   #1  

Arrow Alternative Group (March 18, 2002)

We are a group of non-traditional lifestyle individuals. We are partnered, single, widowed, Pagan, Atheist, Agnostic, Christian, Muslim, gay, bi-sexual, bi-colored and straight. We bask in our diversity and unite in the same goal of losing weight. If you are relatively open-minded and accepting of ALL walks of life, please join us.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:42 AM   #2  

Angry

Hey gals! I walked ~10 miles yesterday -- and boy am I sore! I'm calling out sick from work today (I've accumulated >60 sick days over the years I've worked there, and they don't pay me for them when I leave, so I'll be calling out as much I can get away with). I have school work to catch up on already -- isn't that awful? The semester started a week ago!

This is the week #1 school is supposed to notify applicants for 2002 entrance ... yikes, I can't wait ... when I went to take their entrance exam, the assistant director of admissions told us the third week in March, and I hope they stick to that (their catalog says "by April 1"). I got my official letter from #2 school about the $10,000 fellowship, and that has to be returned by March 29. I really never thought I'd get into #1 school, but I guess being accepted to #2 and #3 increases the odds I'll get in, plus being offered the fellowship, plus one of my professors who did recommendations for me told me, "don't worry -- it will turn out fine," and I keep wondering why he would say that so definitively unless he knew something, like he had spoken with someone at #1 school -- oh, also the dean of #2 school told me not to be so sure I wouldn't get into #1. Aarrghh!

I'm obsessing again, aren't I? But this is my whole FUTURE, it really is. I've spent the 23 years since graduating high school bullsh*tting around, and now I'm finally doing what I feel I was meant to do.

If only I was so obsessive over losing weight, huh? No, I shouldn't say that, b/c then I'd be sticking my fingers down my throat every time I ate. Better to be obsessive in a positive way.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, OP week!
Old 03-18-2002, 10:00 AM   #3  
Must Shrink.

Good luck Ruthie. It is so stressful having to wait, with so much riding on this.

I have a crocus in bloom, I planted them last fall. A gift of spring.

Equinox on Wed. Anyone doing anything? I'm going to go to an open ritual with my old group. I didn't re-initiate, but am going to go to the open ones this year...

March Break is over, and everyone is back to school. Yahoo!

Must get Evan dressed, we have to go to the bank. We have to pay for Morgan's $460.00 Quebec trip. Ugh.

Flower, I remember the aching legs I used to have when I worked retail... Hope you have really good shoes.

Bye for now,

Lois
Old 03-18-2002, 10:43 AM   #4  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Lamorgan-haven't found the perfect pair of shoes yet. I am currently taking 2 pairs to work and switching at lunch. So far that and using the foot spa at home is working. No blisters, and that I am thankful for! Sears has a pair of ked style black leather tennies I might get. We get 20 % off at Sears. (Sears owns us). I was suppose to have yesterday off, w/ the condition that I would get another day off this week. Nope, not gonna happen. So Tuesday will be my one and only. But 9 hours overtime sounds mighty fine!!!!!

Ruthi-today is mail day. You will hear something in time.

Well, to the rest of you-have a wonderful Monday. I will peek in tomorrow. I gotta go bathe and tame my afro!!!!! Sleeping with wet hair is a no no for me! ~flower
Old 03-18-2002, 12:01 PM   #5  

Hi Everyone
This weekend was OK although I been suffering a MAJOR toothache all weekend ( i lost a filling a while back I thought I would be fine ,HA what a mistake that was) so between taking my tylenol w/ codine for pain and n antibotic , I had to throw my DD her birthday party for which only 2 of her friends showed up .
My friend found out she was pregnant so she is inbetween excited and nervous her youngest just turned 3 (remember I went to a Bday party 2 weeks ago it was for her two children ) She is due Nov 21.. Funny thing is her friend that was at her two daughters party I asked her "Soooo when you having another baby ( her baby is 7 months ) anyway last week she took a home test and she might be pregnant also..I was told I was a jinx when it came to that..LOL.. I cant have anymore children so I guess I have that right to jinx everyone else...LOL
Flower you wasnt being mean about trying not to laugh. If it were me I know I would have laughed heartily especially when someone tries to act like shes "all that and a bag of chips" ( or as you called it premadonna)
I remember the tolls of retail.. I used to work at Sams Club.. I miss the heavy lifting I was so toned back then..
Ruthie... Your not obsessing at all.. Your 20+ years of a haitus wasnt bullsh*tting, it was getting life skills..Having some life skills does make you more marketable once your done school.. So you have the "one up" on those who just go right into school after graduating. ( in other words you know more about the outside world then anyone that jumps right into college)
LaMorgan I have nothing planned for the 20th. Like that is surprise, I never plan nothing I am at home all the time.. Have fun at your Equinox ritual.. (forgive me if I worded that wrong, I am never sure what the proper terms are)
Everyone else ..Hope your day is going good I will check in later
TAke Care
Sheila
Old 03-18-2002, 01:54 PM   #6  
Is it Friday yet?

Hello everyone!

from now on I'm saving my posts because I just did one and the site ATE it!!

Anyway... not much of a couch potato weekend. I went for a walk in the snow, installed a new towel rack and tp dispenser in my spare bathroom, took out my old towel rack and did some drywall patchwork. My new futon was delivered Saturday so I played with it for an hour...

2 pound loss for me this week - 3rd week in a row of 2 pound losses!!! I'm only 2.5 from my April 12th goal of being in the 230-somethings!!!

Flower - No, don't feel bad about laughing at the high 'n mighty flower arranger! The Powers that Be have a way of knocking people down a peg when they need it - heck, it happens to me when I need it! Your 10 miles has inspired me to up my measly 1 mile walk too. Thank you!

Wildfire - How scary for you about your daughter and her wild little friend! I'm glad it turned out ok. We have 2 missing girls in Oregon - friends that dissappeared a month or so apart out of the same apt. complex. Very scary...

Lamorgan - Crocus!! I wish I'd had time to pop my bulbs in the ground when I got done moving in October. Oh well, now I have a fall project I guess...

Nothing special planned for Ostara. I have some friends coming over. We never really do a formal ritual, our magick is mostly worked in the kitchen.

Have a great week everyone!

Terri
Old 03-18-2002, 03:00 PM   #7  

Default A-parently so

Being a parent these days is incredibly hard. My older daughter developed bipolar disorder when she was 13 and spent several VERY rocky years in all kinds of trouble. Once she was gone for three months ... she joined a street gang ... her boyfriend from that time is currently in prison for multiple murders ... Incredibly tough time for all of us.

At age 17, she got a false positive on an HIV test. Within several VERY anxious days, she decided to turn her life around. She knuckled down in her studies and even became a peer tutor in a couple of classes. She took a part-time job and did volunteer work for the Red Cross. And one day she told her dad and me that she regretted having wasted her time in school and wanted to make up for it by joining the navy and learning whatever she could through a four-year stint in the military.

She's in her fourth year in the navy and just reenlisted; she wants to make it her career. She's received a commendation for bravery for helping rescue Marines in a helicopter crash. During the rescue, she was injured -- tendons and ligaments ripped from their anchorings in her legs and ankles -- but she didn't stop what she was doing. (She's since been reassigned to new duties to accommodate what turned out to be a permanent injury.) Her ship's captain says she's "the toughest five feet of sailor the navy has to offer."

Even when things look bleak, don't give up!! What seems like **** on earth now could provide valuable strength to our kids later in life. And possibly to us as well.

Maybe that's good advice for my new healthier lifestyle, huh? Maybe, just maybe, it's possible that the failures I've had in the past are just going to make this new lifestyle all the more resilient.

Kim

P.S. Ruthie, best wishes on your college-acceptance wait! Here, check out this story before you make your decision: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/nati...ion-Deals.html

And I can't wait to walk with you at San Diego! Here's a little tip: Within about half an hour of your endurance walks, put 4 tablets of Alka-Seltzer in a glass of water and drink up! It helps break up the lactic acid that builds up in your muscles and causes soreness. Use 6 tablets if you're doing more than 16 miles.

Last edited by Venus Envy; 03-18-2002 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

There are days I just hate being a student and today is one of them. I have a smart *** Psych teacher that had to be rude about a question I asked. I guess I was the blunt of her joke this week instead of the guys. I e-mailed her to aske her what was due and she decided to tell me...." I should look over my notes and my syllabus" the reason I was asking was because of something we talked about in clinical.... GRRRRRRRR let me stop now.

Ruthie - hope you enjoyed your day "off" so to speak.

Venus - All I can say is wow! That is a great story!

I am going back to studying so I can get through and work out!

I have decided I am going to try to get back OP! I have a little over 20 pounds to loose and I would like to do it before summer. Shooting for Mid-June! I have been stuck at this weight for what seems like for ever. I am going back to counting calories! and hopefully to exercise at least 3 to 4 times a week.

Post soon,
Amy
176/148/130
Old 03-18-2002, 10:06 PM   #9  
Hot Stuff

Ruthie, hope the mailperson brings you good news and soon! I've been thinking of joining you in your 10lb goal. I've been on again, off again for a while now, especially with IBS getting in the way. I just can't seem to get that push I need to do it, though.

Lamorgan, a crocus! I've been watching for robins, but have yet to find one. Oh, that reminds me...I told you once about a large hawk I see near work. Hubby calls it "my" bird. Well, there are two, mates I believe, and with the help of a wonderful guy at the Peregrine Foundation we think they are Northern Goshawks. Near as I can tell, anyway from the markings, colorings, and size. I have been seeing them more regularly in the last couple of months. Absolutely incredible beings.

Flower, be kind to your feet! Buy good supportive, comfortable shoes. Foot pain/damage accumulates slowly, and reverses even slower if at all. I bought wonderful high heeled black boots for work this winter, and after wearing them for the last six months or so, I've discovered pains in my feet I've never had before. Especially the lower joint of my left big toe. These boots are comfortable...I can run around all day in them, but when I take them off, I get cramps in my feet for a few minutes. I didn't pay it any mind...but now I'm getting other pains even when I'm wearing different shoes.

Punkin, that is scarey about the two girls. They just think that nothing is going to happen to them.....and all too often it does.

Venus, your daughter seems to have really turned her life around. She really had some frightening things in her life...HIV, gangs...you must be very proud of what she's done after all that!

Amyjo, hope tomorrow is better for you!

Time to scoot....Punkin, how much longer 'till Friday? Terrible, but I live for 5pm on Fridays....

TTFN
Old 03-19-2002, 05:12 AM   #10  

Thanks for the link, Kim. It has been suggested to me that if I get accepted to the #1 choice, I should go to them and let them know about the $10K scholarship and ask if they can match or exceed it. If by chance I get accepted, I do plan to do that -- but I'll be working in a tough deadline and I won't be in much of a power position, but it can't hurt to ask. Interesting that that article mentioned schools being more responsive if there's been a drastic change in financial status; I would certainly think me quitting full-time work and my DD starting full-time college is about as drastic as it gets. I've been trying to get my mind right about all this -- I know that even if I don't get into #1 school, I have an absolutely tremendous and wonderful second choice.

I'm too tired to write more...
Old 03-19-2002, 09:43 AM   #11  

Ruthie ~ Girl it sounds like you have got it in the bag. Have you thought about call school #1 and seeing if they can tell you anything over the phone? March 29th is just around the corner, literally! You would call if it were regarding a job, so why not call about your application? I will probably go to Grad school at the same school I am getting my BSN from simply because the other Nursing schools in Mobile are not worth my time of day and the next two closest schools are in Mississippi and New Orleans. I might could commute to New Orleans but I am not sure I could manage that, and I am pretty sure I want to go- but I have to work two year before I can apply to grad school.

I would like to send you a contribution to your walk.... I lost a neice to leukemia two day before my daughter turned a year old. Karlee would of been 10 on March 2nd. If you would IM me your mailing address or what ever way I could donate I would appreciate it.

Flower ~ You should invest in some good walking shoes, like some reeboks or nike's if you can wear them to work. Standing on your feet all day is rough but it is even worse if your not "use" to it. Since I am back on my feet for clinicals and work my hips have been killing me. I went to the doctor, he told me I have congenital birth defect in my Right hip that is causing me pain (go figure) and fibro myalgia (again go figure) but what I was getting at is you should also invest in some good support hope to promote good venous return. I hate the things personally but they are great to keep you from getting vericose and spider viens and they help with fatigue. Oh and I agree with the laughing, I couldn't of contolled myself I would of have to of laughed right in her face. The older I get the harder time I have keeping my opinion to myself, it is really cleansing to actually be honest about how I feel and I would of laughed because it was funny not to be mean. I am one of those people who laugh if someone falls or does something stupid though!

Sheila ~ you should get that tooth fixed girlie!!!! Your going to end up with and abcess!

Well I really, really, really need to clean my house it is getting to be disgusting. I have an afternoon clinical. I am doing one day at a day treatment center for the mentally ill and one day at the orphanage here in town. I really think I am going to end up working with kids so I figure I would benefit from working with some "damaged" kids. These kids aren't the damaged ones the parents are. I have a feeling I am going to probably have a problem with this simply because I want to adopt and can't right now and these kids don't have anyone (you get the picture)....

I am up for a challenge guys!!!! I want to loose 20 pounds in the next 10 weeks but I can start with 10! (heck I could start with 1 in the right direction at this point)

Hugss!!!!
Amy
176/148/130
Old 03-19-2002, 10:17 AM   #12  
Is it Friday yet?

Hello everyone!

I did a bit of pre-tax return shopping last night (had some stuff on sale). I bought myself a new vacuum cleaner (a fancy shmancy bagless with all the fun tools - what can I say, I love housework), a new bathroom cabinet w/ glass doors, new wood towel rack w/ shelf, 2 sage green shelves for my bedroom, and 5 shelves for my craft room. Time to charge up my cordless drill again!!

Wildfire - Friday would be just a bit more than 65 hours from now...

I better get some work done so I can go home and play with all my new stuff!

Terri
Old 03-19-2002, 11:50 AM   #13  

Default Hi Everybody :wave:

Well I am dealing with my TOM almost a week early... Jeeez sometimes I wish I would go thru menapause already and get it over with..
******WARNING : I AM GONNA CHILD GRIPE AND B*TCH NOW***
My 12 year old daughter is driving me crazy, first of all this morning she claimed to be sick she tried her hardest to stay home (no fever plenty of color ) so I sent her to school . She went directly to nurses office at school Nurse called home and I asked the nurse to check to see if she had fever (which she didnt) then I asked the nurse to see what my daughter would say if she asked her to drop off her homework to the teachers..(Daughter claimed she had no homework night before) wellll she didnt do her homework. So I told the nurse she is is suffering from "Ididntdomyhomeworkitis", anyway my daughter is still in school right now. BUT I am SOOOO sick and tired of the lies she has been handing me and the school.. She also claimed that she was harrassed thrown to the ground called a bunch of names had sexual things said to her she said she was threatened.. Now I know it was possible but things didnt add up. Like being thrown to the ground ( she was wearing a WHITE windbreaker and the ground was muddy , not a speck of dirt on the coat or her pants) she said when she was thrown she bumped her head hard on a rock(No redness or swelling anywhere on her head) no dirt in her hair either.. The cops were called just the same and even the police said that she couldnt ID the perpratrator after seeing every boys pic in the school..(according to DD it was a student from her school) The description of the boy was very very very vague..All she could tell me or the cops is that the boy was of Porta Rican ansectry..LETS face it where I live you see more of that ethnic description then you see caucasion people.. (please forgive me if I worded something wrong I am trying to be as Politically correct as possible, I DONT have any racist bones in my body,just for the record) I am really getting ticked and I dont have any idea of how to stop her bullsh*t.. If I do report her lies I am to blame for filing a false report , if I dont report her lies I am a bad mom b/c they may not be lies..She knows about the "boy who called wolf" story..Her father and I have been racking our brains to try to figure out how to solve this.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
***************END OF B*TCHING NOW****************
Sorry to vent off but I just needed to. I dont have anywhere else to go with this ..

PUNKIN: Glad you got something out of your return.. With ours we got our apartment and freezer and fridge and washer plus a few other things.. I still need a new vaccuum and a new scale

As for the challenge I am gonna to get 15 pounds off by Memorial Day.. Although I wouldnt mind getting 60 off by then but I know baby steps

Thanks again for listening .. I hope I worded things correctly and didnt offend anyone , if I did please email me personally click here for addy
Take Care
Sheila
Old 03-19-2002, 12:10 PM   #14  

*********yeah!!!!!!!!************ My house is almost clean

Sheila ~ I feel your pain, I don't know if you were here last summer when MY DD "fainted" at school for the total of $26,000.00 and spent the last week and a half of school in the hospital. Still am not over it, but I still had a real problem with the Doctor- say that my child was not "mentally" stable and that she was crying out for help. You can only do- what you can do.... If you beleive her then you have to support her, if you don't then you have to come up with the right approach to handle the situation. (not that you didn't know that already) Hope it all works out, that crying wolf thing.... GRRRR If I hadn't told my DD that she had to be throwing up blood (which she tried to tell the nurse last year she was) or that she had to pass out (which I really doubt at this point she did) then I would not have had to cough up all the cash last year for her doctor bills. But I was sick of having to pick her up from school every time someone hurt her feelings. No one ever said raising kids was easy and I firmly believe I am getting paid back 40 fold for everything I ever did as a kid!

Got to go to clinical~

Hugs to you Sheila!!!!
Amy
Old 03-19-2002, 08:56 PM   #15  

Talking

Well, gals, #2 school became #1 school today. I e-mailed #1 to ask which day they would be sending the notification letters, and they responded that no decision has been made, and I will receive a notice the second week of April. Second week of April???? Meanwhile #2 school wants an answer on the scholarship by March 29! So I called #1 and explained, and this woman just about cut me off in mid-sentence, saying yeah this happens every year, they know our deadline, they can wait. So I e-mailed the chair at the #2 school and asked their absolute deadline, and also asked for clarification about the four free credits that are also part of the fellowship. So this guy e-mails me back and says because they think so highly of me, he's giving me an additional four free credits -- so my master's there would cost me a total of a little over $10,000!!!! So I agonized all day over this; even though #1 school has so much prestige and a rich curriculum, #2 obviously really wants me there, plus the financial, so in the end I decided to just give up on #1 school, which is being very cavalier and kind of pissed me off to tell the truth -- I mean, this is my life they're di*king around with, ya know?

So this summer I'll be off to Boston!

I promise to respond to everyone personally later...
Closed Thread