Old 07-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 Year Olds #100

G'day all,

That is fantastic Slavika to be down so much, I am sure the walks with Patches are going to help.
As yet I have not received your photos...long way to come I guess
Sorry to hear Trudy and her dh are not well, sometimes those colds hang around for a bit.

As I have already said I am down 1.4, which isn't too bad if I am going to do this every week

I (we) am in a bit of a quandery, as some of you know Alan was asked to do a contract in the UK a few weeks before we left for the US. It is still on the go and at the moment they are trying to organise migration visas etc. for him to be able to go. Neither of us now really wants to go and we are just not sure what to do. We have not had a firm offer but we wonder if we should tell them now not to persue this any further because we have decided against it. I just don't want to leave to go that far from home again, the recent terrorist activity in the UK has not helped either.
There is also a lot of work in New Zealand, I can sort of cope with that a bit better, a bit closer to home.

Perhaps we should just be retiring good and proper without these carrots dangling in front of us.

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 07-08-2007 at 09:48 PM.
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #2  
Ash

Default Hurrah !!!!

Well girls I am down 2 kg or 4.4lbs and for the encouragement I got from you this would not have been possible. I am really pleased.

Slavika - congrats on the 12lbs that is fabulous.

Maria - looks like congrats to you too. You have been so far recently both of you must be tired and after what is happening in the UK at the moment I think that I would be staying at home for a while. New Zealand sounds a much better proposition for in the future. My opinion friend.

I am so glad that there are people who are like minded and I am proud of everyone of you.

Love to all.

Jenye.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #3  

That is a great loss Jeney, keep it going!

Maria
Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #4  

Slavika and Jenye-I am so happy for both of you. Now keep up the good work even when the going gets hard. Maria you too.
Slavika I can imagine how much Patches loves to go to the park. Sometimes it is hard to get a good walk in for all the smells and stops.
Maria I don't think I would want to go away again for a long time. I would have to think long and hard about that one. NZ sounds better and closer.
I think that wedding Sat was one of the biggest I have ever been to. It was pretty - yellow and daisies. There were 2 tiers of tables for the wedding party. Just way too big for me. I could have been in a potato sack and no one would have noticed.
I had a nice day for D's birthday. P was the center of attention when he arrived. Now on to the diet. I want to be like Slavika and Jenye and Maria and have good news to report.
Trudy hope you and your dh are feeling better.
Peggy
painter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #5  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everyone..

I still have my cold, but my DH is all better. I got mine first and still have it, and yet to hear him talk, his was much worse. We had some grouchy days here too. When I am sick I am quiet, he moans and groans and finds one million things to complain about. So Ann, I know exactly what you were going through with a grouchy DH.
Wow Peggy, that was quite the trip you took. I have fallen going upstairs too, but never hurt myself like you did. The biggest wedding I attended had 500 guests. Were there more than that? I like about 100 - 200.
Jenye and Slavika are going to be winners in the weight challenge. Not much happening with me.
Maria, I can't see the two of you heading off to the UK right now. You just got home. Wouldn't your family be a bit disappointed if you go again so soon? I also think it is not a safe place to be right now. Those bombs were quite the shocker, doctors yet. Australia had the good sense not to hire them, I wonder if Canada would be so smart, somehow I doubt it.

We are back in renovation land. We have a construction firm ripping out 3/4 of the bathroom to the wall studs. Tomorrow the carpenter will start to put back the insulation, drywall, the vanity, toilet and counter top and floor, then paint. Then we wait for the next company to come in on July 31 to in the tub surround. What a mess, I will be so glad when it is all done.

My DH, BIL has colon cancer and had surgery this morning to remove the tumor. They caught it early so he is expected to have a good recovery. My SIL phoned me yesterday about it, they live in Vancouver.

Bye for now..
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #6  
Web Nana

SallyWow! When you start something you really get into it! That is a wonderful loss.

Maria & Jennye You're both also going great guns in the weight loss department! Keep up the good work!
Marie: May I add my 2 cents worth. You really need some down time after you long trip to the USA & Canada. Maybe New Zealand would be a good compromise.

Trudy It is good to hear that your DH is better and I hope you will follow along soon. Yes, grumpy DHs are a fact of life especially when they are not in peak condition.

Peggy Sorry to hear about your fall but glad it did not deter you from going to the wedding. How big was it? In this day and age with the costs of weddings skyrocketing I wonder why people still have such large affairs. Wouldn't it be better to put the money into a house or condo?

Glenda Hope the rains are beginning to subside. There seems to be no happy medium across the USA. If it rains...it really rains and if it is dry...then there are forest fires. You can't win.

KarenHope DH is getting better every day and getting his strength back! Keep up the swimming it is a great stress releiver!

Gloria
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #7  

G'day all,

Peggy that sounded like some wedding. How are your shoulder, knee etc after the fall?
Yes now unto loosing a few pounds, Slavika is certainly setting the pace!

Trudy good to hear you dh is on the mend again, hope you can soon report the same for yourself. Men are the same the world over, they all carry on like pork chops when they are crook! (australian slang for 'sick')

I have to say I am very grateful to mine at the moment and not a bad word will pass this keyboard about him

My computer is once again crashing constantly and with the work that I do it is very difficult and frustrating especially when you are showing a customer something and the thing crashes like what happened yesterday.
It has already been back twice since we have come home and now Alan is taking it back to negotiate for a brand new one.
He is on his way right now, leaving me at home because I am so angry and likely to really let them have it , he thought the chances of a 'successful outcome' probably will increase 100% without me there! I am very grateful that he is doing this and in the meantime I am using his desk computer and he uses the laptop.

We are off to Melbourne to see Lex, Joe and Saskia on Friday and will return again on Monday, not much time for such a long trip...if only we had the highways that we experienced in America, we probably could cut the travel time by a quarter!
It will be good to see them and give them our purchases we made in the US.

No further news about any future contracts......yet!

Cheers
Maria
Old 07-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #8  
Net browser

Hi Everybody; With a lot of help from Maria and Trudy I managed to change my avatar to one of Patches. I have the fellows here this afternoon working on putting up my new back fence to I have to tie Patches up when she goes out or else heaven only knows where she would end up. When we go for our walks she really travels for a little dog. She runs to greet anybody who happens to be coming toward us as if they all should be delighted to see her.......actually they all have been very sweet to her, and kids love her. I bought a Bissel Carpet cleaner today and did the hallway and the three smaller rooms where I know Patches has left her mark. I clean it up right away but I wanted it really clean. I will get somebody in to do it when I am sure she has been trained. I am really tired tonight and my back hurts from the carpet cleaning. Bye for now everybody.
slavika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #9  
Super Surfer

Talking Love Patches..

Slavika, that picture of Patches is the cutest picture ever. Of course everyone is delighted to meet her, so she is right in assuming the role of greeter!!

Maria, is there some easy way of making pictures small enough to be an avatar? I am not ready to give up my ice cream cone yet, but you never know when I will find something else.

I wasted the entire evening playing Bookworm at Yahoo. I crashed and burned at 2,778,840 points.. It's a good thing it's over, my hand is formed into a perfect mouse and my neck is killing me.

'Nite all...
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #10  
Member Florida Chick

Goodmorning-(After a sleepless night). The Dr. gave me a new blood pressure med and it seems I am allergic to it as I have broken out with hives on my neck and chest, and itch all over. I finally have made contact, they have changed the meds and I have to get some benadryl to
take to get rid of the itching. I was just ready to leave when our bug man came to spray, so thought I would just say Hi.
I'll be back later to answer all the posts. Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #11  

Geez Ann you sure don't need that right now. Hope it goes away real soon.
Trudy - how nice to be getting a new bathroom. I would love that. We redid our kitchen years ago. Dh did it and after knocking the tile off the wall and knocking out the ceiling he has no desire to do the bathroom.
Maria - love your phrase about men and pork chops. I hope I can remember that sometime and use it. Too bad about your computer. Is that the one you had with you? Hope Alan gets you a new one and it is probably a good thing you didn't go with him. LOL Have fun visiting the kids.
Gloria - are you getting excited about the big celebration? I wish you beautiful weather. I would love to jump in that thing you have for the kids.
Sally what a cute avatar. You are getting skinny and creative with the computer.
My knee is fine-my wrist is sore. My lip is scabbed but it looked okay the night of the wedding. Over a week ago I cut my left leg[a 2" gash] on a piece of rebar that was in the back yard. It was used as a stake. [Grace should be my middle name.] I wore a skirt to the wedding that was short on the cut leg side and longer on the other side. It should have been the other way around. There were a little over 500 people at that wedding. They were short a table so about 10 people didn't have a place to sit. It was assigned seating. One of the workers was a little snotty and was telling us that we were at the wrong table. We had to show our place numbers to him. He was carrying on in front of everyone-very rude. I don't see what the big deal would have been to just get another table set up. It was their fault. Another time 2 of the workers were having words in front of people. Really strange for such a nice place. Maria you have loved sitting at our table.]just kidding] I had the 3 most talkative women there. Doug was wondering how they could understand what each other was saying when they talked at the same time. So needless to say we left a little early.
Have to get back to my painting. This time it is a country scene on an old porcelain box. It's for recipes. I don't know who buys all this stuff.
Peggy
painter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #12  

G'day all,

What a pain Ann, as Peggy said it is probably the last thing you need at the moment. Hope the benadryl will relieve some of the itching.

Slavika your new avatar looks good, she is a very cute little dog. I used to do my own carpet cleaning but it is a very hard job and I got rid of my carpet cleaning machine and now get it done twice a year (cream carpet) I am not surprised you were 'pooped' (no pun intended!) after doing the carpet cleaning yourself.

Trudy I am not sure how you can reduce the size of a photo or whatever for an avatar other then by using Photoshop. I am sure there are many other programs, if I come across one I will let you know, in the meantime if you want me to do some reducing I am happy to do it.
How is the bathroom renovations coming along? Have your settled on a loo? I was reminded the other day by an American comedian about our dual flush system, he said in Australia he was always in a quandery which flush to flush!

I don't know if that would have been my scene the wedding you went to Peggy, there are some rude and obnoxious people in this world.
The chatty women sounded 'delightful'.
I would love to see your porcelain painted box, sounds great.
***Everyone I have seen some of Peggy's art and she does some really lovely stuff, I think Peggy is just a bit too modest and I am not surprised that her stuff sells well.***

We are off to see our finance bloke tomorrow and we have now decided that we will leave about lunchtime for Melbourne and overnight somewhere along the way to arrive about lunchtime on Friday at Lexie's place.

My computer saga....they would not swap my heap of garbage for a new one but Alan and the computer blokes have come to some agreement and I am getting a new computer, using some of the bits from my old computer keeping the cost down.
On his return home we plugged my old one in again (minus the bits removed for my new one) and it has been going great guns since with no freezing up!
I have some work to do, so I am just keeping my fingers crossed that it will keep chugging away again today.

Have a great day all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 07-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #13  
Fun Blonde

Again, girls, when I don't come on here, you all just talk up a storm! Ann, you have had such a lousy time of it lately. Glad they changed your medicine and your hubby is feeling somewhat better. Mine is so cranky right now that I don't know what to do with him. We couldn't sleep last night and just fought over the pillows and the bed and finally just got up at 2:30. He went to sleep on the couch and I finally went to bed to be sound asleep in time for the alarm! Yuck!

Slavika, I am not sure I get your messages anymore. Might be going straight to the junk mail and I don't know how to retrieve them. Your Patches is adorable and I agree that I would love it if she came up to greet me when walking. And your weight loss, good for you!

All, I hurt my back in some way on the treadmill on Sunday. I just tried to do too much and as soon as I got off, I could barely walk. So, this week to the chiro a couple of times. I am better. Just have to remember I can't do that much anymore.

Trudy, you will get better and then you will be so thankful for awhile for good health. You have certainly had a seige, haven't you? And getting a new bathroom! You just redo and redo all the time. But it sounds lovely to modernize.

Peggy, how much fun would it be to see such an elaborate wedding. I always wonder why someone spends that much money on a wedding. It just doesn't "compute" with me. I would, of course, much rather start out with 'something', rather than that kind of an elaborate memory. So many times, anymore, they don't even last and then it is a bad memory. People can be rude everywhere. If I were paying that much for a wedding, I would be very angry if workers acted like that. Maria, was one of the lucky ones in that she got to see up close and personal your painting.

Maria, Alan is a sweetheart to have done the negotiating for you. And I am so glad you are getting to see Lexie and family. It must be hard to go for so long without seeing them. I wish you had some good roads between the two of you too. And I would just flat turn down the UK right now. Why chance it, especially after being gone so long and such a short time ago.

In two weeks we will be in Galveston. The sad thing about a week vacation is that it is over almost as soon as it starts, but we really need this. IF we can make it. Texas has had so much rain--they are worse than we are.

Here it is July 11th and it hasn't even seemed like summer yet. This darned weather! Gloria, it is almost your wonderful weekend! I hope you haven't worked yourself into a big frenzy!
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #14  

G'day all,

I had a great night sleep after a shocker the night before. Alan is still asleep, he must be needing it. He has been helping the kids doing all sorts of stuff and is just not used to the physical work anymore.

I had a great day yesterday...I did some work for an organisation and just had not heard from them if they wanted to go ahead so I rang yesterday and no they do not want to go ahead, which is fine but they could have let me know. They were very apologetic and wanted me to charge for the time so far, I was so annoyed and charged more then twice that I would have if they had been a bit more professional.
I emailed the account 6 hours @$35 ph = $210....and they are more then happy to pay
I would like to upgrade to the very latest version of Photoshop so now I can!
My 'old' computer is still going great, we now both wonder the bits they took out to put in my new computer has been the cause of my problem all along Computers....who knows

Glenda trip to Galveston will be great to have a bit of a break. I am a bit with you, an eleborate wedding does seem a bit of a waste, I would have rather spend it on a spectacular honeymoon.
Tell Leon that I wouldn't mind if he used 'our' bed rather then the couch..we found it very comfortable

Gloria have a fantastic weekend, I know you will, make sure many photos are taken!

Alan is awake, breakfast, pack up see our finance bloke and then onto Melbourne

Have a great weekend all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 07-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #15  
Member Florida Chick

Hi all.

Gloria: Your mail is still coming back to me. I did forward the returned mail as you said and so now will wait and see. Here is your big weekend now, and I hope you have a wonderful time of celebration with family and friends.

Maria: Glad you have your computer working again. and they sure are touchy things. So now you will have two computers to work with- the old and the new with the bits and pieces from the old one. Hope your trip to see the kids is safe and that you all have a wonderful time together.

Slavika: Congrats on the 12# lost. You will be the winner of this challenge, I'm sure. Your Patches is so cute. I love those big eyes.

Jenye: congrats to you also. Every pound gone is a milestone. I'm not doing too well, it is down two up one then up one again,and then start over. But that is the way I seem to go.

Trudy: I bet your new bathroom will be lovely when it is all completed.

Peggy: I agree with the other gals. Why waste so much money on such a big affair. It seems to me to be so much more practical to have something to start the marriage with. The amount of money for such a big affair would just about put a down payment on a home, for example. There is just no accounting for what some consider most important, I guess.

My itching is better now, and I only have one spot on my neck that just doesn't want to go away. So the Benadryl worked quite well. That is the first time I ever had such a reaction to any medication, except penicillin.

DH is now in a much better mood after we went to the Dr. and he got a good report. Life is better now. : I am glad that you all can identify with the grumpy DH syndrome. It is sometimes hard to deal with.

We are now off to Curves and DH exercise program.

Haave a wonderful weekend. Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote