View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 12:39 AM   #29
Heather

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

oooh.. great point, ennay, about confounding these definitions. If we're going to use "overweight" and "obese" and give them different definitions (as we have) then we have to be sure to take care with how we use them.

[blather]This is another issue I talk about in my classes a lot when discussing research: How did you measure it? We typically use BMI to "measure" levels of obesity, but there's general consensus this measurement is flawed. It only looks at height and weight.

I wonder if the results of these studies would be different if they used percentage of body fat? Of course, the problem there is that it is harder to measure than BMI. BMI is easy to assess, but may be meaningless. BF% is harder to measure, but may be more meaningful.

But it makes me wonder if a lot of the people who fall into the overweight category on the BMI are actually lower in BF, but higher in muscle. And THAT group might be healthy.

So, the sample (who the participants are) makes a difference, and how we measure things makes a difference. When you boil it down, these two issues are what I tell my students to look for in every study they read about. There are more issues to examine, sure, but these are relatively easy to start asking questions about!! [/blather]

My 5 C's of healthy living: Commitment to conscious control, with the understanding that choices have consequences
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote