Old 07-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #1  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default W.O.W. Labor Day Challenge! An invitation!

Hi gals! Looking for a new challenge to get your tail in gear? Looking for a great new group of friends? This is the place for you! We'll start up on Monday, July 9th and Labor Day is Monday September 3rd. That's eight weeks. I think we can do anything for EIGHT weeks, right!?

I gotta tell ya, I am SO on board. I know I'm getting famous for blowing things up for weeks at a time, come on to profess my undying motivation only to blow it up again. But I need to get serious and get focused. NOW. I'll wait to announce my actual weight for Monday's weigh in, I'll choose to weigh in on Mondays, to keep myself accountable for the weekend. You can of course, choose whatever day you like to weigh in.

We are not weight loss ****s here... It's a pretty laid back group, and everyone is super supportive. Oh yes and let me cut/paste the basics of what WOW is.....

As with all the previous W.O.W. challenges, the only real rule for this challenge is to BE HEALTHY. Be realistic, get enough calories, challenge yourself physically without hurting yourself. That's it!

Set yourself a reasonable, attainable weight loss goal to get to by that day. It's that easy! We will have Weekly Thread Chats, starting every Monday until the end of the challenge... we do a new one every week to avoid having to go through pages and pages of posts. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to check in as often as they like, to share whatever they like, and most importantly to give support and to get support.

We all monitor the scale differently... but a good portion of us have found success by weighing in only once a week. Please feel free to do whatever you're most comfortable with. You may choose whatever day you'd like for your weigh-in day. Whatever you choose to do, remember that successes are not ONLY measured by the numbers on the scale, but in the ways we change our lives for the better.

Women on... WHAT??

Okay, let me explain that "Women on WEED" is not what you might be thinking. During the challenges I mentioned earlier, a group of us formed a great bond, and we've been challenge buddies ever since. We use the word "WEED" as a mnemonic device to set daily goals, an easy and very specific way to remind yourself during your day to take care of your body, and to nurture your Mind, Mouth and Muscles... it really does help. After all, we are all taking this a day at a time, right?

If you join this challenge, you will see it often - and you are encouraged to give it a try. Here's what it stands for:

W - Water intake. Set a daily goal for how much water you're going to drink. Although there is conflicting research as to how much to actually consume in a day, we all agree it is important to drink lots to stay healthy. So make it a goal!

E - Exercise. Efficient, healthy weight loss isn't going to happen unless you incorporate some kind of physical activity in your life. Everyone does it differently; some go to the gym, some work out at home, and some find ways to sneak in little bits of exercise all throughout the day. Set yourself a goal, even if it's small. Little bits done often WILL add up over time!

E - Eats. Being that we all have different eating plans and weight loss philosophies, this is sort of a wild card. Whatever plan you're on, set yourself a plan-appropriate daily eating goal for the day. Don't forget to make it specific!

D - Daily goal/Daily affirmation. This is another wild card. It doesn't even have to be weight-loss related! This is the spot where you list something you want to get accomplished. Or, you can use "D" for a a daily affirmation - it's an opportunity to say something good and positive about yourself. Sometimes, when we fall short - and we ALL do sometime - we are tempted to berate ourselves. Although it's good to recognize when we don't reach our goals, it's also good to remind ourselves of the awesome parts of ourselves. So go ahead and remind yourself of that in the "D" part of WEED.

Anyone with me!?
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #2  
One Day At A Time

I knew it, I double clicked the submit reply button, how bout I see if a sweet mod will DELETE this one, and the rest of us, please reply to the other one! xoxooxoxo Michelle
Old 07-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/125

Height: 4'11

Im Sooooo In I've Wanted To Start A Challenge But Whenever I Go To It I Missed The Start Date . Im Right On Time For This One Woooooooo Lets Do This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
freeqeegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #4  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I'm here. I have been a work a holic lately, I have gotten a lot of extra physical activity lately at work, which I love!

Guess what!! I have been pre diabetic for a while (since Makie was born 4 years ago) In the last 3 months my blood sugar has gone to normal!!!! I new this would be worth it.

For labor day I am hoping to do more than maintain, I am going to try to lose 5 pounds. I want to be 155 by laborday!

Happy healthy one guys!!
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/184/110

Height: 5'2"

I'll be on vacation for about a week of the challenge, but count me in... it's just what I need!
Loriannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #6  
Cowboy Fan 4 Life!

S/C/G: 248/236.6/140

Height: 5'0"

SIGN ME UP! My final weigh in for the contest at work is right after labor day....PLUS i have yet another bellydance show towards the end of the month. I'm NOT discouraged about not meeting my last goal. After a month of trying to eat right and gettin some exercise in....the scale hasn't really gone anywhere..

However...........

In one month I've lost 6 inches off my body. Small changes make big ones later
Holyteror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

I posted on the other thread. I'm in. I want to get to 170 by labor day. That will be 6 pounds.
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #8  
same me, only less

Height: 5'8"

Hello everyone!
For this go around I'm going to stick with 10lbs. It worked out last time, so I think I should be able to do it this time too. Good luck everyone.
libchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 380/286/175

Height: 5' 6"

I tend to be better at short term goals, but I'm going to give this one a try! I just started in mid-May, and seeing how I have so much to lose, I'm still losing pretty quickly. Because of all of that, I'm setting a goal of 20 lbs by Labor Day. I'd really like to be down a total of 50 lbs by the time I return to school in the fall. I haven't even exercised yet, so I figure with that added component I can do it!
musictchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #10  
One Day At A Time

Yay!!!! Some new faces! I'm trying to get really pumped up about this challenge, I really am. I think I'll shoot for 12 pounds these 8 weeks. Like I said, I'm NOT stepping on the scale until Monday, but it's not gonna be pretty. But I'll step up and face the music. I assume it'll be around 240. I saw the other side of 215 this year!!! I know, I know, that damn broken ankle. But the ankle is 100 % better, only mildly achy after strenuous activity or it'll be stiff if I'm just laying around, but I know I can be exercising.

A new week, a new month, the start of a new six months! This HAS to be the time!

Welcome ! Freequeegirl, whatta cool nickname, I've always sucked at choosing clever screen names. LOL Glad to have you aboard, what kind of program do you follow?

Jeni!!!! We miss you!!! This "new" job of yours is so demanding! I can't imagine how you breathe, let alone keep losing all this weight and have time for DH and the kids! I work my 12 hr shifts but I get alot of days off too! I didn't know you were borderline diabetic! (you DO know I'm a diabetic educator right?!?! LOL) But I'm glad you have good control of that right now. Good for you!

Hi Loriann! Welcome! Glad you decided to join even if you'll be on vacay! Are you going somewhere nice? I am a firm believer that SOME people CAN stay on plan on vacation, just that I'm NOT one of them! I go hog wild on trips! What are some of your goals and what kind of program are you on?

There's my HolyTeror, SIX INCHES! OMG that is INCREDIBLE! I wish I measured as well as weighed, I think we'd all stay more motivated, for sure! Well, they do measure us at the gym but I don't do that with any regularity. SIX INCHES. IN ONE MONTH. WOW! Do you attribute all that to your new home gym?

Hi paula! How's Dad? So you mentioned he is still in the hospital, I assume he is at least out of the ICU? Is he on his way with physical therapy, etc? Did they take the trach out? I'm glad you're still with us, I just know you'll make your goal! What with all those lovely garden veggies and all!

HI libchick! Glad you're back too! You are THE WOMAN! I think you've hit your goals every time now....keep it up, get me motivated man! I need that kind of kick in the butt! You'll be my official watchdog from here on out these next 8 weeks. LOL

Hi musictchr! Nice to meetcha! Tell us more! I assume from your nickname you're a music teacher? How old are the pupils? Singers or instruments? Are you married? Have kids? Sounds like you are already way on your way to losing all the weight. Good for you! How are you doing it!? And you're not exercising yet!? You are going to just SOAR when you throw in a little walking or something with it. TELL US YOUR SECRETS!

So supposedly I've been on vacation these two weeks. Part of me thought I'd use this time to really kick off the diet and hit that gym every day (some days TWICE, ooooh) but I went a total of two times. TWO. And I ate the usual garbage every day. And I'm back to drinking SODA! Pop was the one habit I thought I had CRUSHED! AND...omg....I am drinking way too much BEER too! Bud light out on the deck in the evenings, hot summer days, ice cold beer, cooking on the grill, you get the picture. But of course the cold beers turn into Taco Bell runs at midnight and moaning and groaning the next morning. So my goals need to turn into NO beers, NO fast food, WATER, WATER, WATER, exercise, eating clean. And most of all NO EXCUSES!

Does that mean I can drink tonight and start Monday? Just kidding! See, it turns into, well, it's Friday night, I'm starting on mon, it's the weekend, whine, whine whine, excuses, excuses, excuses. I need you guys!

Kids are wanting to swim today, so I think we'll spend the day poolside. xoxoxxo Michelle
Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #11  
Cowboy Fan 4 Life!

S/C/G: 248/236.6/140

Height: 5'0"

well, i sorta stepped up on my eating and walking. i've been walking on my breaks again, and this last week i've done tae bo twice at work during lunch....been staying closer to track on eating....i use my gym once a week so that might be helping. if i could just get some treadmill time going in the morning that would be great. I've got rehearsals coming on tuesdays for a couple of weeks, then we'll be doing more rehearsals for the big upcoming show in september

DH is making me nuts. thank goodness he's gone on a trip for a week next week. sux though, he keeps getting to head to hawaii and i have yet to go there. i've been promised hawaii for years now...it has yet to happen *sighs*

oh and TOM showed up and brought no cake, pie, presents, NOTHING. I think i'm tired of catering to TOM and he brings me nothing fun in return......
Holyteror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Michelle -you wouldn't believe all I've been going through if I had the time to tell you all of it.

My dad is in a unit in the hospital called Select Speciality Hospital. Are you familiar with this? They are doing very little rehab with him. He still has the trach and is still having problems swallowing and they are now hinting that it might be permanent and he might NEVER be able to eat food again.

Below is what I went through today and most days since he's been in this unit have been almost as bad. I will never go to City Hospital no matter what. We were not told he was in this special section of the hospital. I was thinking it was the rehab unit up until 2 weeks ago when I started doing more research and discovered he was actually in a short term acute unit waiting for nursing home placement.

Boy what a busy day. I had no idea it was going to be like this.

After my shower I decided to pay the nursing home I want my dad to go to a visit to see how the bed situation was coming and to check in with the speech therapist. There's still no bed and the therapist suggested I look for a respiratory facility as an alternative.

While I was gone I had received 2 messages for a case worker from the hospital I had never heard from before. I left a message when I tried to return her call.

While I was waiting for her call I decided to contact the nursing facility I found on line last night that uses the new machine for swallowing. The have room for my dad.

I decided to pay the new place a visit. It was very nice. It's brand new. The people were very nice.

While I was talking to the admissions girl I got a call from the hospital. They case worker said that the original nursing home would not have a bed for possibility 4-6 weeks. She said that the insurance would not agree to waiting that long and asked which of the 2 places I had already said I would not place my father in I wanted him to go to. I again said that neither of these places were an option and that we would be going out of network. i told her I was talking to a place right then. She asked if he could be placed there TODAY!!! Mind you this is 2:00 in the afternoon. I gave the phone to the admissions girls so I wouldn't have a stroke myself while I talked to this lady. I was told that if we didn't move him today we could be responsible for his payments at the hospital until he was moved.

The admissions girl told them to fax the medical requirements my dad will need and she would have to present them to her nursing staff to see if they could even take my dad as a patient.

I drive home still fuming! At 4:00 I call the admissions girl to see if she had heard anything form the hospital or insurance people. She said she had not heard a thing and had not received the fax. While I was talking to her she got a call from the insurance people and she referred them to the financial depart. so they could work out the payment deal.

At 4:15 I get a call from the hospital and they say that everything has been delayed until Monday and we would not be responsible for any payments. The hospital would eat the cost. (I highly doubt that will actually happen). She said everything was a go and he would be moved on Monday. I asked if it had been cleared with the nursing staff and she said the insurance said all was ok.

At 4:30 I think I should call the admissions girls again just for good measure. She said that it was still up in the air on if he would be coming there on Monday or not. The insurance was going to call back and work on the contact and the nursing staff would still need to be consulted.

We visited my dad at the hospital this evening. He was all clean shaven. His nose and ear hairs were all trimmed. and his hair was freshly cut. I guess they wanted him to look nice when he was transferred today. He was in a much better mood this evening and I told him he might be moved on Monday and he seemed happy about that. I really had the feeling like the staff were talking about us as we walked in. There are a lot of patients that have no one visit them and someone from the family visits dad almost daily.

Now aren't you sorry you asked???

So, anyway, the eating hasn't been good, the sleeping has been very little the last couple nights and unless you call jaw exercising while talking to all these people today real exercise I have not been on plan all day. Maybe Monday I can relax and get on track.
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 191/184/110

Height: 5'2"

Hi Michelle!

It's good to be here! I live in the Orlando area, but my daughter and I were "gifted" at Christmas with a 4-night stay at a Disney Vacation Resort (we're staying at Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa). Breakfast food is coming with us so I can eat a healthy controlled breakfast in the room, and I'll make sure I have plenty of healthy snacks and such as well.... along with those Lipton on-the-go tea packs and Crystal Light packs. The food at Disney (even at the "grab it and go" places) is top notch.

I was diagnosed about 6-8 weeks ago with a thyroid problem, and just started on Synthroid last week, so I'm hoping that that helps on that end while I do my part with the exercise and diet. I'm "kinda sorta" following the Biggest Loser diet... having lost 45 pounds before (and then packed it and more on after a triple fracature to my leg and a torn ligament) I have a pretty good feel for what works for me and what doesn't. I journal, journal, journal every day, and document every stinking thing that passes my lips. I feel pretty confident that I can lose 15 pounds in the next 8 weeks... even tho' I'll be eating at Disney, I'll sure be doing a lot of walking too!
Loriannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #14  
One Day At A Time

OH Paula, I'm so sorry, what a runaround. I would tend to believe the people from the home, they seem to be the ones truly honest with you. Or else they are out of the loop, maybe everything did get cleared through the hospital and the insurance but the NH hasn't been clued in? I don't know why they wouldn't be, it would only be one phone call. I hate to think that families of patients feel how you feel through all this. Like the nurses are smirking and talking about you, like you are somehow a bother to THEM for visiting your family member. I feel like we're all the on the SAME TEAM! I try to help my families feel included, esp as they know the patient better than I ever will and their information and opinions could be extremely important.

I think he will FLOURISH in his new facility. It sounds top of the line, brand new and clean and technicologically (is that a word?!) up to date. They will be very aggressive with therapy and the swalllowing thing. I just cannot believe, what a nightmare. I'm sorry for you, but I am proud of you for being a strong advocate for him, and fighting to get him the best care possible. He's lucky to have YOU on his side. I love ya, hang in there xoxoxoxooxo
Old 07-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #15  
Failure is not an option

S/C/G: 344/321/140

Height: 5'3"

I'd like to join too if it's not too late
TinaG is offline   Reply With Quote