Old 07-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #1  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

Default July SlimFast-ers!

Good morning all the SlimFast-ers out there!

How is everything going for everyone? So far things are going well for me. Loving the food, loving the SF products, loving how my progress is going!

Hope everyone is well and can't wait to hear how ya'll are doing.

Cheers, Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #2  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Cool Going good...

Tamara - you're down another 2lbs - well done! Good to see the weight dropping, isn't it. Looks like you're on track for that Labour Day challenge.

It's HOT here. Forecast to reach 39°C on Friday - YUK! Maybe for those in the southern US that's OK but I'm not looking forward to it at all. We'll be down in the basement I think, at least when indoors. Exercise is going to be hot and sweaty though - it's already hot in the mornings when I walk the dog.

This last week went well for me - down to 178 as of Sunday morning. Checking back over my progress (I record it in Excel) I did a big drop 4 weeks ago, followed by a week of almost no loss when AF arrived. We'll see if that happens this time - if so I'm prepared for it. But I'm happy about last week, whatever happens this.

We were in Lethbridge this weekend and bought the boys a trampoline. Very good exercise, if it does make me feel a little like I've just had a stiff drink . I need a better sports bra though - even my running one doesn't cut it for serious bouncing (me, not the boobs). DH also wants to get a Bowflex - we looked at the new Revolution model since it doesn't have the rods for little boys to get their fingers trapped in. Looks good - we need to save some $$ though. It's probably much more economical for me than a gym membership - since I have to drive into town for a gym, which is 40km each way, plus of course DH will use it too. He works construction which gives him an unbalanced body - uses some muscles lots and others very little. While in the fitness store Nathaniel got going really well on the ellipticals - impressing the store guy since he said many adults can't seem to get it properly, and he's only 9. The boys all wanted us to buy a boxing punch bag - I guess better than hitting their brothers.

I hope all the other Canucks here had a good Canada Day weekend, and happy July 4 for our friends from the US, coming up tomorrow.

Snuggles,
Jax
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #3  
Changing My Lifestyle

Good day Jax and Happy belated Canada Day to you as well!

I'm glad to see that you are also continuing to see a loss on the SF plan. I'm really enjoying it.

It definitely sounds as though a fitness machine at home is a much better option than having to do all that travelling to work out. I'm fortunate that I have a curves about a 10 minute walk from my house, so it's pretty easy to fit the workouts in. I just had my first weigh in and I've lost weight as well as 2 whole inches (1/2" bust, 1/2" abdomen and a full 1" off my hips!) Woot! I was also participating in a fitness survey with them and was only allowed to work out 3 x 30 min sessions for 3 weeks (total 9 workouts) and that was from June 11 - 30 so I lost 2 inches in about 2 1/2 weeks! WOW! I almost can't believe it but I can feel the difference in my clothes. Also, now that the survey is done I can work out as much as I like (up to 6 days a week).

Friday was hard as it was my neice's grad banquet and I was almost having an anxiety attack over what dinner would be...isn't that ridiculous! So dinner came and of course it was a predressed ceasar salad (that I picked at the parts with no dressing) and then the entree was roasted chicken breast w/ skin (I took the skin off), steamed veggies (ate em all), about 4 tiny little steamed potatoes (ate em all) and some squash (ate that too). Then came the cheesecake and I decided that I would have my piece and enjoy it, so I did and as soon as I got home I logged it all into my meal plan and you know what! I was only about 150 calories over for the day because I ended up skiping my late afternoon and evening snacks so I had about 300 calories from that and about 500 for dinner. My sister did the same thing only she ate the whole salad (dressing and all), ate the chicken (skin and all) and the cheesecake...her count was wayyyy over. LOL But she's also on a 1700 calorie plan and she only wants to lose another 5 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks, which should be easy enough if she stays OP and works out.

I hear ya about the weather Jax! It was like 32 here yesterday and they're calling for 30 Thursday (Stampede sneak-a-peek) and then 34 for Friday (Stampede officially opens with the parade). I can see the marching bands losing players to the heat already and imagine all those mascots, etc. that have to wear those big, heavy, hot suits...Yuck! I'm a sun baby though, I love the heat (unless it's really humid) so I'm ok with it and it gives me more reasons to hit the pool for exercise.

Have a fantastic week and make sure if you ever come to Calgary you let me know and we'll go for a coffee (Starbucks Grande LF Carmel Macciato - 190 Calories, 1g fat, 11g protein)! Woot! LMBO!

Cheers, Tamara
Old 07-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #4  
Changing My Lifestyle

Hi preppie, welcome to the SF plan!

You can do it with your cookout tomorrow! If you check the SF.com (US site) there is actually a recipe for cheeseburgers & coleslaw that is On Plan. I had it on Thursday night last week....very yummy. Try to drink your water and watch the alcohol, and since you're the hostess that may make it a little easier since you'll be constantly on the go to make sure everyone has everything they need. But you can allow for a little treat, just make sure you record it.

Even if you slip (like I did Father's day weekend in the Rockies...gained 2.5 lbs in 3 days and took me 5 to get it back off!), you can always just start again and as long as you stay on plan and exercise one day won't blow the whole deal, it's just one day. I track every single thing I eat/drink on the SF website and I had a day I was over 6,000 calories (brunch, Starbucks, lots of drinks) which is 4 days intake for me while I was in Banff, but I just got back on plan the next day and within 5 days I was back to where I started.

Just remember two steps forward and one step back still equal one step forward!

Have tons of fun at your 4th of July celebration and don't beat yourself up for one day...it's only one day!

Cheers, Tamara
Old 07-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #5  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Tamara and Jax - wow you are both doing great! Congrats on a good week, Jax. I do video indoor workouts and am not stopped by the weather (now, that doesn't mean I never miss!). Glad to hear Curves is going so well for you, Tamara.

Welcome preppieblond and best wishes on weigh-in.

I have had great luck with new fruit add-ins and wanted to mention - added blueberries to vanilla SlimFast powder and (a different shake of) peach to vanilla as well. Both just taste great and the blueberry is SO purple! LOL! Peach makes for a frothier shake than other fruits it seems to me - very refreshing. I added in a whole peach and when I did blueberries added about that same quantity of serving. I love this change-up because it adds interest and I was going to eat fruit for a snack anyway, so not a single calorie over plan.

I may be at a bit of a plateau right now, but it really doesn't bother me. I know it won't last.
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #6  
Getting there...

Hi preppieblonde - welcome to the group. It's a good one. Don't worry if you slip - in the long run handling the slips is as important as the easier times too.

Whittlin - I do exercise videos inside too, but when it's hot in the house I get hot and sweaty. I don't like to run the AC except if it's really hot at night (like right now, that's why I'm on the computer, it's over a vent blowing cold air) so I don't put it on for exercise. I sweated LOTS both yesterday on the exercise bike and doing today's workout. Which videos do you like? I recently got "Strong and Streamlined" by Karen Voight and LOVE it! It's got two workouts with cardio and strength/flex portions. I still mess up on a couple of moves in the cardio but am getting better. If we do get a bowflex machine then I will need some different ones that are straight cardio, I get bored using the bike all the time and my treadmill is broken .

Its good to hear what you like in the shakes, I don't make the mix ones very often because I prefer the taste of the RTD, but I have been experimenting with different fruit in DH's protein shakes in the morning (which I have instead of slimfast if I make him one). Usually we use berries but we've also used nectarines, probably similar to your peach one. I can't wait to get chocolate protein powder to try your cherry idea. Sounds yummy.

Tamara - I'd love to go for a low-fatte latte one day. I'm sure we will be in Calgary again in the not-too-distant future (we were there in Feb so the boys could go to a Flames game) and I'll let you know. Enjoy the Stampede! I was there for it once many years ago and it was fun. There's a smaller one in the Hat but we miss it because it's when we're in Jasper for hockey school.

Well it's cool sitting here but I have things to do so must go. Cool thoughts to all,
Jax
Old 07-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 176/155/135

Height: 5'7"

Hello ladies!
I'm a noob when it comes to SF, well kinda. I've had the shakes and whatnot before, but never strictly followed the plans. I plan on doing so starting the 15th of this month, you know once payday hits and I can buy tonnes of SF. I look forward to talking to you ladies in about 10 days and seeing how your progress has gone thus far.
My question is, how long have each of you been on the plan and have you seen a steady loss week by week? What is the average weight you lose each week?
Also, i'm wondering if you ladies find the meal bars more satisfying or the shakes? I've yet to try the meal bars, as I just can't picture myself feeling as satisfied with those. I'd much rather a shake and a plate of veggies. Any recommendations on the best bars would be sincerely appreciated!
Elegant Departure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #8  
Changing My Lifestyle

Hi Elegent:

to the SF thread!

I have been sticking to the SF plan 100% pretty much since May 23. I have lost a total of 17.5 lbs in that time (and I had one off plan long-weekend that I totally pigged out and gained 2.5 lbs and took 5 days to take it back off) so it probably would have been 20 lbs by now if I hadn't had that bad weekend!

I use the tools on the SF.com (US not Cdn) website. They actually give you a meal plan and you can substitute with their subs or your own. I stick pretty close to what they give me or use their subs. I'm on the 1500 calorie plan and this is what my meals for today look like so you can get an idea:

Breakfast - SF Shake (my favorite is the Chocolate Royal w/ skim milk)
Snack - 8 fresh Strawberries and a part-skim Mozza cheese string
Lunch - SF Meal on the go bar (today it's chocolate peanut) plus turkey sandwhich and a mandarin orange
Snack - 1 cup fresh grapes and 1 oz oat bran pretzles
Dinner - Cheeseburger & Coleslaw (SF recipe) plus 1/2 cup fresh grapes
Snack - 6 baby carrots & 2 Tbsp Hummus

It turns out to be a lot of food...I'm never hungry!

I also love to add fruit into my morning shake...mostly berries or a 1/2 banana and 2 tsp peanut butter...Mmmmm

When I have a sandwhich (it's always 1 slice of bread) I use the Weight watchers bread and get two slices for the calorie count of one.

My favorite meal on the go bars are the chocolate peanut (yummy like a candy bar) or the Oatmeal raisin. My sister recently came up from the states and brought me a couple boxes of the High Protein Granola meal bars and the Strawberry Shortcake bar as well as one of the snack bars that we can't get here. They're all pretty yummy. I'm down in the US from July 14 - 22 and I'm gonna bring home a whole suitcase worth of the stuff cause I really enjoy the milk chocolate shake powder (slightly different than the Choc Royale) and the High protein meal bars. I have made many of the SF recipes on the website (except the fish ones) and so far have enjoyed just about all of them.

Just a word to the wise...You don't need to stock up huge on the products...you usually only need one MOG bar per day (so that's about a box a week and Superstore/Walmart are the cheapest I've found them)...the shakes usually last a couple of weeks and the snack bars I've found I don't go through as quickly as I would have thought since I actually prefer a lower calorie (the Snack bars are around 140) snack like fruit or instant Jell-o free chocolate pudding or 100 cal bag of popcord to ward off the salty monster. I do have one once in a while but they're like a candy bar and so I save them for special occasions.

My advice is to go to the SF.COM website and put in your information and register and have a look at the meal plan and your calorie level they recommend. You can also track your activity and your water intake. I love that it tracks all of my nutritional information and I can look at up to 7 days at a time. This is how I found out that I was a little low on fibre intake and a little high on sodium and could adjust accordingly.

Let me know if you need anything else. You can PM me if you need any help wiht the site...I think I've defeated the majority of the bugs by now...LOL

Cheers, Tamara
Old 07-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #9  
Changing My Lifestyle

preppie:

9 lbs in a week and a half is fantastic

Keep up the good work and just make sure you track your calories tonight to see what you might do differently next time.

Have a blast at your party either way!

Cheers, Tamara
Old 07-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #10  

It sounds like everyone is doing great!I was at the cottage on the weekend and had (gasp) ice cream.Only 2 tablespoons but does it ever slow the weight loss down! I really wanted to get back to my carrot sticks and slimfast shakes! I keep seeing the high protein products advertised in magazines, I hope they do become available here soon!! Have a good week everyone!

Cindy V
Cindy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Hello Everyone!!
I was just wondering if anyone has just tried drinking just the shakes, with 1 meal a day, basically a piece of meat or chicken with a veggie. Ive totally fell of track with my diet, and I feel like I just need a break from food for a while. I would do medifast if it wasnt so expenisive. So I would like to try this. I was just wonering if anyone has had success just drinking the slimfast shakes?
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/262/170

Hiyas!

I just bought my first thing of SF today. I even walked up to the store to buy it so I'm feeling pretty good. I don't wanna rely on using SF forever but I wanna right now to get myself on track. I'm only planning on substituting a shake for one meal a day. Dinner is always a hastle for me so I'm going to drink a shake for dinner every night. I absolutely love breakfast and I think it's important that I eat in the morning. And lunch is a lot easier than dinner to prepare. Does that sound like a good plan to you all??
MeOwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #13  
Getting there...

Cool

Hi everyone, and welcome to all,

preppie - sounds like you have a great attitude to the fluctuating scale - well done. And after 9lbs in a short time it could just be wate reorganisation, compounded with the salt. Glad to hear all went well.

staciec878 - I'm not sure if I understand your question. I only use the shakes, not the meal bars, although I do use the muffin bars if I'm in a hurry for a snack. But I eat lots of food as well. Slimfast has evolved from the days of two-shakes-one-meal that it used to be, you are encouraged to snack healthily (essentially having 6 "mealtimes" per day - two slimfast, one sensible meal and three snacks) and keep calories at a minimum of 1300 for safe loss. So it doesn't give you "a break from food" - I eat lots on slimfast. What I find it useful for is speed, convenience and the fact the slimfast meals are well balanced and contain many essential nutrients in a small package. Tamara can give you great advice on following the plan through, she's a pro! Your ticker shows you've had success already with weight loss, slimfast is another tool in your arsenal. You can get back on track!

MeOwww - congrats on your walk to the store, your plan sounds good. It's better to eat earlier in the day than in the evening, I think most plans are structured around an evening meal because that's when families generally eat together - due to work, school etc. If it works for you to have your slimfast then, go for it. I don't intend to use slimfast forever either, in fact I usually only replace one meal with it at present, having a protein smoothie with fruit and milk in the morning, since I make one for DH, then slimfast at lunch and a meal at supper (when my family is together). Plus snacks throughout the day.

Cindy - I promised to take the boys for ice cream today - hopefully it won't cause me problems. I can plan for it though, and yesterday wasn't particularly high on calories (it's HOT right now) so have a little "wiggle room" for something small. Don't count on all the US slimfast choices being available here in Canada, I remember doing slimfast years ago at the same time as my sister in the UK. She had WAY more choice in slimfast product than was available here - including fruit smoothies which she loved. I e-mailed slimfast about the different products and they said they had no plans to bring the smoothies to Canada, and every market was different with different products offered. Since we're a much smaller market than the US they may never offer the variety of options here that they do there. Even the Optima is different in the two countries, with the Canadian product having more calories than the US optima.

Well it's hot as promised here - and I find I'm not eating my 1300 calories. I eat lots in the mornings but suppers have been small - often no more cals than my slimfast meals, according to FitDay. I don't want to eat too little, but it's still really hard for me to get used to having a calorie count close to my "aim" before I have supper. All part of the learning curve, I guess.

I hope everyone is keeping cool and having a great week,
Jax
Old 07-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Jax,
I basically mean the 2 shakes and one meal. Ive been on the slimfast website, and I had a meal plan made up, but I just dont want to eat alot of food right now. So I want to just eat 2 shakes, and one meal. But I tend to do better if I eat food for breakfast, so this morning I ate 3 sausage links, 200c. 0 carbs. All the calories in 2 shakes, and one meal is not alot at all. So the sausage isnt that bad. Ive lost some weight, but using every single differnet diet. I get bored very easy, and just cant stick to it, so I switch diets. I seemed to have the most success with just counting calories, and lots of exersize. Once I stopped exersizing I still am losing weight but you cant tell, only me, since I step on the scale every 5 minutes. So Im going to dust off my turbojam and put in in the dvd player, and continue to do Couch 2 5k. I just need to find some kind of meal plan I can stick to.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #15  
Changing My Lifestyle

Hello Ladies!

Stacie: While I understand you wanting to "kick start" your diet again, SF is meant to help with an overall lifestyle change. As Jax said, gone are the days of 2 shakes a day and sensible dinner. If you only drink 2 shakes and eat a little meat/fish and some veggies you'll find (if you track in something like fitday or the daily plate) that you will be severely lacking in protein, calcium, fibre (especially) and these are all very necessary for weight loss. Also if you go too restrictive as soon as you start eating normally (even if it's fairly low-cal, healthy food) you'll put weight back on and end up back where you started. It's important to get enough protein, whole grains, fruits & veggies as well as calcium.

Meow: I don't see any problem with having your shake for dinner as long as you are still hitting your calorie target each day. If you are taking in too few calories at first then you really don't have anywhere to go once you need to break a plateau or lose enough that you need to drop your calories to continue losing. I would go ahead with your shake for dinner, but make sure that between breakfast, lunch and snacking you are still hitting your target range. Also, as I've said above, make sure you are getting the nutrients you require daily. Fitday.com and the Daily plate are good ways to track your nutritionals to make sure you're getting what you need.

preppie: Don't get discouraged...I'll have a couple of days where the scale will show I'm up (especially around TOM) and then BANG, I'm down 2 lbs! Just keep doing what you're doing and tracking your nutritionals and calories, you'll see the results soon. Remember it can take a couple of weeks for a body to recognize a change in lifestyle.

Jax: I had a slice of cheesecake last Friday and it barely put me over, so have your ice cream...enjoy it and know that one little scoop of ice cream is nothing to worry about, it's when you sit down withe the whole pint of Hagen Das that it's a problem...

I can't wait to hit the stores in the US week after next and stock up on the US SF products. I have a couple cans of the Milk Chocolate shake powder as well as some High Protein bars, etc that my sis brought up for me week before last. I see that they're lower in calories than our Canadian options, but hopefully it won't be long before the NEW Optima line hits our shelves (they're 33% less sugar or something like that which will make a huge difference). My mom has agreed to be on the plan with me while I'm in the US which will make it much easier for me to stay OP and I'll be able to use the US products as well. I'll be interested to see if that makes a difference in my loss. I'll also be able to swim every day which will be really nice.

Everyone have a great day and get ready for a smokin hot weekend Jax! It's gonna be a melter even here!

Cheers, Tamara