Old 05-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #1  
Wendy

Default weightloss stall

I haven't posted here in a while but I do come to read the threads sometimes to get thoughts and ideas and motivation. I have done the low carb diet three times now this is the longest I have been on it and I lost 25 lbs in 2 months and then it stalled on me 3 weeks no weight loss. this week I am shocking my body by eating only fruits, veggies, whole grain and some dairy. And then I will be back on low carb next week I hope this works. I also picked up exercise which I wasn't doing before. Does any one else have this problem or any ideas how to keep it from happening?

coffeeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #2  
Baby Steps

If you just started exercising, that could be a reason for your weight loss to stall. And it's not unusual to stall for weeks for no reason. Your body is fighting to hold on to the fat. Keep up the great work and don't get discouraged!!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #3  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

I stalled on week 4 for about a week, but the next week was back to losing. It's hard to say why it happens, could be the extra exercise, could be not drinking enough water, etc... etc.. don't be discouraged by just one week. I have been off low carb for a week now and haven't gained any back. I just restarted today. Good luck. And let us know how it goes for you.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #4  

I stalled after about 2 weeks and it seemed to last forever! But a few people here told me to make sure to drink all 64 ounces of water each day. (I had been letting my water intake slip since I usually don't drink much). And it really worked!

I know how discouraging it gets. And the stall seems to never end...but after being off of my stall for about a week now, it seems like such a short time looking back. Things are back on track and I feel fantastic again...and I know that soon you will too!

Good luck!

Natalie
Natalie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:26 AM   #5  
Wendy

thanks for the input I definately was not getting my water in so I took that into account. I have been back on track since Wednesday and I will weigh myself tomorrow. If nothing I am throwing away my scale and just doing it. I feel my clothes fitting different but with the scale not moving it is irritating. I am going to stay on track though I had a cheat day on Tuesday with cake and icecream and had a headache from ****. I think I would rather not have the sweets than have that headache again.

Happy Mothers day
coffeeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #6  

Keep on doing what you are doing.. its just your body adjusting.. sometimes it takes awhile.. i have been there done that.. but if you keep it up, the weight loss will start up again, and you will be sooo glad that you kept up with it..good luck
fribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:21 AM   #7  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Actually I had the same experience. I had a stall that I thought was going to last forever. I was so frustrated and discouraged. But I kept up with the diet and exercise. I ended up cutting some veggies and portions and working out more. I have to consider drinking more water. I don't want to keep cutting portions and working out more. Anyone have any other tips on how to overcome a weight plateau without sacrificing your hunger and energy??
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 182/154/135

Height: 5'4

Hi there,

I'm also stalled about a week. It is depressing- I am committed to getting things moving again though. I even managed to get through the weekend without a cheat which for me is unheard of, so that's one good thing I guess. But the scale still didn't shift........frustration!!

Anyway I'm going to up my water intake to 3 litres a day excluding tea, (Sorry I don't know what that is in ounces ). And rather than up my excercise I'm going to vary it- I've been doing a half hour excercise video every second day so instead I'm going to cycle in the park for 20 mins everyday (more than 20 mins and I'm too puffed to get back home )

In two days time if that has no effect I'm going to cut all caffeine out. Caffeine has never stalled me before but I'll give anything ago.

In two days after that I'm going to reassess my dairy intake. When I eat low carb I rely ALOT on cheese snacks and cheese topped dinners to stop me feeling too deprived. If the plateau continues I may have to cut some of it out.

Anyway if none of that works I'm out of idea's! Good luck with it- don't give up
doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #9  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

I don't know if it's too late to reply to your question, but I have had the same problem and this is what I read in the Atkins book.
It says that when you lose weigth and the then your reach a plateau, it could be because of different things, dairy is one problem if you eat too much, not drinking enough water and not sticking to the low carb.
But this is what made the most sense to me from the book.
When we lose a certain amount of weight, it takes time for our body to adjust to the weight loss, especially if we've been at that weight before. OUr body stalls to continue losing weight until it gets used to it and it make take as long as three to four weeks, which is what happened to me.
I kept thinking if I did anything to stop my weight loss, but I knew I didn't. So finally after the fourth week came I finally lost five pounds. I recently went to another plateau, and this morning I weighed myself and lost four pounds, this took another four weeks.
But better to lose than to gain. So I kept encouraging myself because I had lost 24 pounds and now another four.
So don't give up, just keep doing low carb and before you know it you will lost weight. If it's not weight we're losing, it will be inches, so don't forget that too.
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:15 AM   #10  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

Thank you all for posting, because I need to remember this as well. There is a point, right around 148-150, where my body just seems to want to stay, and I've only gotten down below it once in my adult life--I weighed 153 pounds when I graduated high school, and aside from a short period last year, I've weighed more than that in the sixteen years since. (Sixteen years?!??)

I get so discouraged when my body seems to work so hard to thwart my efforts, but I need to just stick with Atkins and exercise, and trust that things will eventually resolve themselves!
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote