Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #1  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Default Anyone doing DDR for exercise?

I'm trying. I hate exercise but DDR is like biofeedfback...

of course i can't do half the moves and i feel uncoordinated.

my husband's boss's son did it a few years ago and lost 35 pounds just doing DDR... of course he was 12 at the time....

so any DDR folks out there with hints or advice?
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I love DDR. My best advice is to just stick with it and do the tutorials and easy levels until you "get" it. You'll start to pick it up and can slowly advance from there. Like anything else, if you try to "jump right in" it'll get frustrating and it won't be enjoyable.

Something that really helped me was to resist the tendancy to go back to center in between moves.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #3  
ONEderland here I come!

really i thought you needed to return to center....

oy sometimes i just get frustrated and run around the mat and then i still get good scores... LOL
Old 07-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 177/156/130

Height: 5' 2"

Don't worry, you will get the hang of it!! Last summer I was completely horrible. Now, I'm not as bad... but I still won't do it in front of people.
But yea, don't go back to center. Try playing with your feet spread apart on the left and right arrows. Once you get used to doing that its soo much easier.
krissyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

What is this DDR? I'm mystified
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

do you guys use the left foot always for front or always for back and the right foot for the opposite?

DDR is Dance Dance Revolution. i'm doing the home version of the arcade game on the playstaion 2....
Old 07-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

I love DDR! DH got it for us around the time I got pregnant last year and I played it until I felt it was unsafe for me. But I still suck at it and can only really do it on light to medium mode, but it's still fun and boy do my legs ache afterwards.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

I'm still in LESSON/TRAINING MODE i think i burn more calories laughing than dancing.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
do you guys use the left foot always for front or always for back and the right foot for the opposite?

I thinnnnkkk I use left for back and right for front most of the time, depending on where I'm standing on the mat.
I'd have to play right now to tell ya hehe
Old 07-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
What is this DDR? I'm mystified

THAT is DDR,... I don't know who those people are.... I googled it.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/210/135

Height: 5'9

I played DDR a LOT last year. At first, I was horrible and I had to be very careful because I'd fall down a lot! I kept practicing and eventually I made it to light mode... then to standard mode. Just keep working at it! It takes some practice and some getting used to. It can be a lot of fun.

I always noticed my heart rate dropped when I would be choosing songs or waiting for a new round to begin. I'd give the nonstop mode or something similar a chance (there's hardly a break between songs, so be careful!). It kept my heart rate up more. I'd put a few slow songs between the fast and hard ones to recover a bit
Katie Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

THANKS everyone!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #13  
Shedding My Cocoon

S/C/G: 230.2/226.4/130

Height: 5'6"

I love DDR! It's my main source of exercise, after which I do a little stretching and some "weight training" with my own body as the weights. It does take some getting used to, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
...Like anything else, if you try to "jump right in" it'll get frustrating and it won't be enjoyable.
True story. Once I was able to do Basic with no problem and most Challenge songs with "Workout Step" on (so there aren't TOO many super-fast steps), I started sharing it with my family and friends... Some of them really liked it, but a lot of them got really frustrated when the steps didn't always register, and they had a hard time with timing. I was really frustrated the first day, too, because I just paid like $100 for the game and mat and it wasn't as simple as I expected, but sticking with it another day or two made me love it.

Be careful with your foot placement! I have unlady-like size 9 (or so) feet and got used to lifting my toes up if I was standing in the center so as not to hit the front arrow with the toes or the back with my heel. It's also extremely easy to hit the side arrows unintentionally while in the middle - another great reason for this advice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
Something that really helped me was to resist the tendancy to go back to center in between moves.
Probably the best tip anyone could give for DDR. Took me a lil' to realize it, as well.

If you haven't already, I also recommend you turn on "Workout Step" in your personal settings (if you're using Workout Mode) - it makes things vastly easier, and lets you do a variety of what WOULD have been harder songs without breaking an ankle.

I started out with Workout Step on and Jump off to ease into the flow of things, and now Jump has to be on to get me sweatin'. After a few more weeks of practice (and hopefully some weight-loss) I'm going to turn Jump back off and switch off Workout Step and try all of the songs with the fast, off-beat notes in there. I've tried it for fun a few times and it's even more of a workout than jumping all over the mat! It's HARD to move that fast, and a real challenge to follow the music/arrows when they're hitting off-beats.

For reference, right now I do mostly "random" songs, all of which are at Challenge (3rd difficulty level out of 5) with Workout Step on and Jump on, and I go for around an hour, usually a tad more. Even with my weight set lower than it really is (to fool the game) it still says I burn 500 - 600 calories per session.

Also, if you're more gifted with coordination than I am, you can throw in some dance arm moves to burn some extra calories. I can on slow songs, but they're usually flopping dead-weights at my sides during hard songs, haha. Or, just hold them out to the side so they get a little exercise, too. It doesn't take much of that for mine to start burning.

Bonus: I think I'm going to have chiseled calves after awhile on this game, because I live in a 2nd floor apartment and I'm constantly stepping lightly on the balls of my feet so as not to anger the downstairs neighbors!

Keep on dancin'!

Last edited by Ethereal; 07-03-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

I don't even know now to do personal settings or workout step but i'll keep checking.

I also have big feet and no coordination.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #15  
Shedding My Cocoon

S/C/G: 230.2/226.4/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
I don't even know now to do personal settings or workout step but i'll keep checking.

I also have big feet and no coordination.
I feel ya! I still get twisted up, too.

Do you play in Workout Mode? (If you have DDR:Supernova like me it should be the 3rd option from the top on the main menu.) If you do, there should be an option to create your own workout profile, so it will keep track of your time/calories over the weeks and months and you can review your records whenever you want. It's great!

Once you make your own profile, you can input your weight. This is for the purpose of calculating how many calories you're burning with each step, so to be safe I would put in a LOWER weight than the truth - otherwise, I figure the game will flatter me and say I burned a lot more than I really did!

On the same screen as your weight there should be some other options, like if you want to set a time or calorie "timer" for your workout, and the options "Workout Step" and "Jump."

Workout Step makes it a little easier because it makes sure you won't have to take any steps faster than a quarter note (if you've ever played/sung any music you know what I mean... Since I was raised on music, I was shocked to learn that my BF didn't know!). Basically, slows the steps down on SOME songs. Not all songs have really fast steps to begin with, just FYI.

Jump is pretty self-explanatory. In my opinion, jumps take a little bit to learn, so you'll be doing yourself a big favor to turn these off at the beginning. Once you're used to the mat and arrows and the game in general you can turn it on for a LOT more calories burned.

I don't know if I explained very well, but I encourage you to check it out! If you can turn Workout Step on and Jump off I think it will be even easier to get used to than in Tutorial Mode, but that is me. We're all different!
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote