Old 06-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #27

Good morning ladies! It is commissary day for me today. I have loads to get so it may take awhile, but that's the way it goes. I haven't been in about a month because of all the baby business and have lots of stock up to buy besides the regular groceries.

Jean: If you fly Airtrain it is around $1600 for business class seats for two people, but that is Airtran and regular airlines like NWA, United and such are much, much more, at least twice that. Jack and I have too thought of when we fly coach, buying the whole row so we don't have to share. My reasoning is more that I am the one making someone else uncomfortable. One of the reasons we flew business/first class is that the flight is 5 hours long and I purposely try and make myself uncomfortable so the person next to me isn't. By that I mean, I push the arm down, which really squishes me up and try and squish myself in so I am not into someone elses space. I can only do so much, but I do try. You would think they would give folks a bit more room, but that cuts down on passengers and since the only airlines making a profit seem to be the cutrate ones that stuff as many seats in as they can, it is doubtful they would do that!

Tom, Kelly and Thomas start their vacation today. They are going to Chicago and a couple days in Indiana. Kelly and Tom's 10th anniversary is the 12th and they are going to go to my hometown's fireworks as that is the place they went on their first date. Thomas was funny when I asked him what they were doing for vacation. He told me with kind of a sigh that they were going to where mom and dad met or something like that. I think he thought it was going to be a bore, but the fireworks are actually great fun. That little town used to put on a great display at the park.

Well, I need to get going and get morning chores done as I want to get out and get the shopping done before it get to be a scorcher. I doubt I will as it is already 75 and supposed to be 92 by late morning.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers! We just got home this evening after spending the day with MIL. We took the boat out; there were lots more boats today, but everyone seemed to be paying attention to everyone else. We stopped and shopped at Penneys on the way and this time Bob made the haul. I don't get him to shop very often but when I do it ends up being a lot.

"Gma" -- I'll bet you are glad to have the commissary duty over with for awhile. I hate shopping for groceries! I've been watching the food channel quite a bit this summer. I've never gone online to get any of the recipes, but it seems to me some of them just dump by guess and by gosh! For all the channels we get there are lots of times I can't find anything to watch. I did run across some old, old Family Feud reruns. The host is Richard Dawson who thought he had to kiss all the females on the lips. Gross! I get a kick out of the hair styles and the clothing. It doesn't take much to entertain me! Thank you for starting the new thread. I'm heading off to bed. Tomorrow is another day away from home; church in the park, pot luck, and a 90th birthday party.

Someone has been shooting off fireworks for the last hour. I hope they quit soon.

Have a relaxing Sunday tomorrow.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:36 AM   #3  

Good morning all! Got the nasty shopping done yesterday and it was a nightmare. I forgot that it was Navy retirement pay, Navy active duty pay and SS pay so the place was packed, picked over and full of rude people. This one lady I wanted to pick up and throw her. She would park her basket in front of something someone wanted and throw a fit when someone moved it. I walked over to get something in one aisle and she zoomed her basket in front of me and blocked me. I mean, really rudely. By this time, I had enough and gave her a polite looked, took the front her basket, shoved it out of the way, picked up what I wanted and walked away with her basket higgledy piggledy in the aisle. When she caught up to me the next aisle, I gave her an "I dare you" look and she didn't do it again. She was doing it to everyone and most people were putting up with it because she was tiny and an older woman, but rude is rude and once is once, but she thought everyone should just get out of her way.

Jean: Hope you have a nice time at the potluck and such. We finally got a downpour last night, but I was in the middle of burning a CD, and shampooing the carpet and the electricity flickered off. It ruined the CD so I have to do it again, but I did get to finish the carpet. It didn't improve the humidity though, that if for sure and not the temp either. Jack went out later to take something to the garage and he said it was worse than before. It is all overcast this morning, so we may get more showers. I kind of wanted to swim, but I have the dining room to put back together and the downstairs to clean.

I found the most gorgeous color of yarns for my dd's birthday present. With her hair it is sometimes difficult to choose colors that would look really good on her. I chose these two and will decide which one when I order. I am leaning towards the darker purple color. Either one will make a beautiful sweater. It is wool, alpaca, and silk blend so it will be a really soft sweater. I have Tom's front almost done and will start on the sleeves. With any luck I will be able to finish it this week sometime.

I am reading a new book by Lee Child which is pretty good. It is a character series with the character being Jack Reacher. I have read all the rest of his books and this one seems to be just as good.

Well, I am off to start the cleaning and chores. Today is race day so I want to be finished so I am not disturbing Jack. Besides, he hauls down his laptop so he can connect to NASCAR.com and listen in on the driver conversations and stats and such so if I am cleaning, he will be in the way.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #4  

Good morning everyone! Today is continue the housecleaning day and we are back on WW and I am so glad. I don't mean to say that anyone forced us to eat improperly, it was just everything going on all at once then I had to get to the store and restock everything in the pantry and freezer.

I got some sweet pictures of the baby the kids took when they were in Chicago this weekend. He is such a good baby his mom said and he is sleeping all night now for the most part. He had his first experience in a swimming pool and as you can see, he didn't seem impressed. I know his daddy loves him. I didn't know how Jay would react to having a baby truly. He was always good with everyone's kids, but he really loves his son. Jack said when he talked to him on the phone on Saturday Jay just gushed about the baby.

I have now finished the front and back of Tom's sweater and am starting on the sleeves today. The neckline was a pain to do because the instructions were confusing. I ripped it out about 3 times, but finally finished it this morning. I hope it looks ok when it is finished. I want to get it done and start something else or work on Thomas's sweater and finish it up.

Well, I better hit the bricks and get morning chores done so I can go over in an hour or so and swim and then get cleaning done.

Have a good Monday everyone.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies! Had some real downpours Friday and Saturday that has cooled it off to the 70s. Yesterday was perfect and this week looks like more of the same. Made it to Gwyn's Island Saturday with my friends and had a really good time.

Got to get to work!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #6  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers! Being gone the whole weekend cut into my laundry getting done, so that's what I've been doing all day . . . ironing too! Bob's church had a pie auction after the pot luck. There were some wonderful food there and I told a couple of different "retired" ladies they should put together a cook book to make money. Anyhow, Bob's idea for auctions is to buy something and then return it to be bid on again. He did that twice and they made $50 on one pie and $75 on another. Afterwards the auctioneer said he had never seen anyone do that before. We had beautiful weather for having church in the park and it was a nice day. We always get to see friends of my in-laws that Bob grew up with although they are getting to be fewer all the time.

"Gma" -- Thank you for sharing the pictures. I wonder if the swimming made the baby so tired. It's too bad they don't stay little and cuddly just a bit longer. You are knitting up a storm. I like both colors of yarn -- they are pretty and will make beautiful sweaters. We need rain badly and it's in the forecast for tomorrow late afternoon/evening. It is quite humid here tonight.

Susan -- Glad you had a good time with your quilting friends!

I am heading off to bed. Tomorrow is bloodmobile and I'm hoping my count is high enough this time. I need to make a grocery run for the 4th but haven't decided what to fix yet. Have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:32 AM   #7  

Good morning gals! Looks like we may get more rain today. Parts of Memphis got a downpour and thunder and such, here at the house, but out at Jack's plant they received nada. I can only see a tad out the window because of the blinds, but it looks really overcast. Maybe it will hold off long enough for a swim. I could sure use it this morning. I am pretty stiff and I am going through my caffeine headache from axing caffeine again.

Susan: Hope things are coming along well in your part of the country and hope you get our downpour as I know you guys really need it. Glad you got to go to your get together with friends. We always need that.

Jean: You guys going out to the lake for the day tomorrow? We have no plans other than Jack. He said, "I don't care what we do or don't do as long as I don't have to get up at 5:00!" lol Because of Kelly's skin disease I have to be careful what kind of yarn I buy. She can't wear or even use most wool stuff. The handbag I made her a year ago she can't use because it irritates her skin too much. The stuff I have picked out is a wool, alpaca, silk blend so it is really soft and should be ok. I am anxious to get started on it, but I need help from my friend in Maryland with pattern so I am waiting until we get back from vacation.

Nothing much else going on here today. I am going to tackle some upstairs cleaning I didn't get around to yesterday and finish up one sleeve and start the second on Tom's sweater. I am about halfway done on his sleeve so I should be able to get it finished today.

Everyone have a good day!

Faye
Old 07-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #8  

Hi, ladies! Been very pleasant here - in the 70s but no rain.

Stan is having OP surgery on Thursday to remove the catheter since his graft is now working good.

I'm eating strawberries, blueberries, peaches and cherries like there's no tomorrow. I love the summer fruits and they are here such a short time.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers! I am kind at loose ends this morning. My best friend (the one we spent Sunday with) called this morning to tell us her mom died early this morning. She went to the hospital with pneumonia, but also was going downhill fast with diagnosed dementia. The family was Bob's neighbors as a kid and have been friends forever. Kathy is an "only" like I am, and I've been her sounding board for the last 7 years since her dad died. I have lots I could/should be doing, but the ambition just isn't there.

"Gma" -- It is overcast here and the air feels heavy when I went outside to feed the birds this morning. We need rain and there is some in the forecast for later today. I have my fingers crossed. With the flooding down south and us so dry, I wonder if there is a message in there someplace. We are planning to spend the day at MIL's tomorrow. Jason and family are also going to be there as far as I know. We haven't seen any of the grandkids for awhile. The extra hour and a half drive to Jason's is enough that we just don't run over like we used to and spend an hour playing. Beth and Will, either one, usually work a few hours on the weekends, so I never know their schedules. They are going to be with his family; his folks put in a pool and none of them swim . . . DUMB! I hope you get your swim in today.

Susan -- I am surprised you don't have fresh fruits and vegetables all year around. When we lived in Ohio there were greenhouses that kept the stores supplied; that's what we missed the most when we moved back here. Hope the OP surgery is a snap for Stan.

I do need to get busy! Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #10  

Jean, I don't buy the stuff from greenhouses - it usually has no taste. I get whatever is in season or frozen. Perhaps they put in the pool to get the grandchildren to come visit more often.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #11  

Hope everyone had a nice holiday today!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:22 PM   #12  

Happy 4th of July, Flowers! We finally got some rain last night and it was a beautiful day today. We spent the day at the lake with MIL, Jason, and his family. The kids love the water and have no fear of going out on the dock which makes me nervous. They start out in life jackets and end up without. Jason, Amanda, and Bob were all out there, but things can happen so quickly it's scary.

I am tired and heading for bed shortly. Tomorrow will be picking up the clutter and vacuuming before MIL arrives to spend the night. Bob has a meeting most of the day and will go pick her up afterwards. She said she could drive down . . . I don't think so! I need to get Bob's suit from the cleaners and iron whatever I decide to wear to the funeral on Friday. We will take MIL back to her place afterwards as she has company coming on Sunday.

Hope you all have a terrific Thursday tomorrow. It will seem like Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #13  

Good morning Magnolias. Looks like another hot sticky day in Elvis land today. It makes for good swimming though. Speaking of that, they finally hired someone to watch the pool and keep out non residents. She lives behind the pool and can see it from her front door, but she is supposed to check on it regularly and call the police when non residents are at the pool. We shall see how this works. They changed the hours to noon-10PM, but I was told the board ok'd me to swim whenever I want since I have a key and help with cleanup and such, which is nice. I went over yesterday and someone had thrown what looked like huge plastic beads from a necklace in the pool and all over the place. What a mess chasing those all over and I couldn't do anything about the ones in the pool. Then someone took out their kid's braids and just threw about a dozen bobby pins and as many rubberbands on the ground like pigs. UGH! I cleaned all that up too.

Jean: Sounds like you had a busy day. We just hung out at home and I went later in the day to get some circular needles to finish up Tom's sweater and got yarn for a Christmas present for the baby. I think it is just too too cute. I am going to either make a 12 months or 24 month and am leaning towards the bigger size so he can wear it fall of 2008. I did change the yarn colors a bit because I have tons and tons of the color I made Tom's sweater since I used a different pattern and didn't need double the yarn. I bought Tom's yarn at a place I couldn't return or exchange because it is bulk buying and lots cheaper so I am using it up as I can making sweaters and such. I also bought baseball buttons to go on it since his dad is such a baseball fan. I ordered my dd's yarn in that pretty purplish blue and ordered a really pretty blue cashmere to make my dil a scarf. She wears scarves all the time in the winter and I am going to make an open weave one for her to wear in the house for Christmas. I am hoping everyone will go along with the adult exhange names thing Kelly wants to do for Christmas. Alicia wasn't sure she wanted to do it because she said the parents should get gifts (meaning us) so I set out a compromise and said why not exchange names between the adults, buy whatever we want for the two kids, then the grandkids buy something small for their grandparents. Thomas always buys us something he picked out for us and we love it best out of everything so I think that would work out great. It will save everyone money all the way around. I know, can't believe I am talking about Christmas, but I have to plan ahead so I can get all the knitting done. Right now I have to finish up Tom's sweater before August 16, which will be done in a couple days at most, knit up Kelly's birthday sweater before November 16, make the scarf, Thomas's sweater and matching hat and Jackson's sweater and matching hat all before the week before Christmas. I have the back of Thomas's sweater almost done and will work on it once I am done with Tom's sweater. I plan on taking the baby's sweater and hat with me to Vegas and I am not starting Kelly's until I get back from vacation because I need pattern help. The scarf won't take that long either so I think I can get it all done. I made three sweaters for Thomas last year and made the hat, blanket, and hoodie plus a baby hoodie in about a month so I figure I can get it all done.

Susan: Hope you and Stan had a nice holiday and are rested to finish up the week. I know Jack didn't want to have to go to work today and tomorrow! lol

Well, better get going on the chores so I can get out in the pool in an hour.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! Bob just left to go pick up his mom so I have a couple three hours to myself. It's hot but not so humid today. I turned the air on a couple days ago and am just letting it do it's thing. I scrubbed bathrooms today . . . Bob had a dark blue shower curtain and it was GROSS! I tried to take it down to wash it and in doing so broke one of the rings. I couldn't get the rest of them open so gave up. That made me mad so I took the whole rod down and discovered it was rusting where the two parts join. He now has a new rod, new hooks, and a new white curtain after my trip to WM!

"Gma" -- I can't believe how fast you knit and complete your projects! The yarn is pretty . . . makes me think of fall when the leaves start to turn colors. The baseball buttons are sure cute. I hope your "pool watcher" will take her job seriously and keep the non-residents out. If the police catch them will they do anything besides kick them out? Wouldn't you just love to catch the person who leaves the messes and ask just who they think is going to clean up after them? Some people are just plain pigs!

I need to put the vacuum away, clean my bathroom, and iron Bob's shirt for tomorrow. Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #15  

Good morning, ladies!

Took Stan for the OP surgery to remove the catheter yesterday - and the Dr. G decided it was too soon to take it out, he wanted to be sure the graft was working correctly so I brought him home and the surgery will be rescheduled. I was just a tad bit put out because I had him the the dr. office on Tuesday. Seems they could have decided that then.

It's back in the 90s and humid so I have to stay inside most of the time since it gets my asthma going.

Faye, I love your yarn colors. The baby will be so cute in the sweater. They certaininly have come out with some beautiful yarns. At the festival last week there was a booth from the Knitting Guild and there was a sweater that was made from....dog hair! One of the ladies there is also a spinner and will add pet hair in with other fiber. It was very soft.

Jean, I'm with you when it comes to kids and water. We have drownings around here way too much where the little ones were left unattended - just for a second.

Keep cool this weekend!