General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 10:30 AM   #1  

Thumbs down Body for Life #45

Hi Everyone!!!

Continuing on from 44:

Waterbaby: so sorry to hear about your accident. I had one week a couple of weeks ago where I fell twice. I have no idea what that was about. In California homes the kitchens and bathrooms tend to be tiled and I forget that when they are wet, they are slippery. I fell twice on my wet tiled kitchen floor. I guess back east I had congoleum or something and you can walk on a wet kitchen floor then. Not on tile. I was really sore and had to baby my knees and ankles in workouts. BUT I didn't injure myself like you did!!! I know that I was sore and hadn't sprained or broken anything so I really feel for you! TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!

Thunderheart: Good for you in crossing the abyss. I know that last night I was very tired after working on my paper all day and very hungry. I had forgotten my food and I just wanted a big slice of pizza as I passed the pizza place. I walked over to the other side of the street to get a salad with chicken strips. I guess I had crossed the abyss because I crossed the street!!!

Mel: I know how it is to have the schedule from ****. Right now I'm feeling so much pressure from school that even working out IN MY HOUSE seems like a big deal to try to schedule. I've only done home workouts this week and I like (need) the variety of home and gym. I feel like something is lacking. My food is good but I think I need to finish this paper so I can do a serious last six weeks of the current challenge.

MrsJim: I was thinking about your chicken and veggies for breakfast on your comp diet. Why is it this form of protein and carbs? Why aren't eggs okay for protein and oatmeal for carbs? I was just curious about this.

Anyway, I am off to school. I have to turn this paper in on the 29th and have NO time during the week (the week is eaten up with my other classes) so I have to work ALL weekend both weekends on it. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo tired!!!

Eat clean,
Watch your form
and may the BFL force be with you!

Susan
Old 03-16-2002, 10:04 PM   #2  

Hi all! I'm still here reading and getting inspiration from you. I'm not much of a poster I just like to lurk. I can't type very well and it shows.
I just finished week 4. So far so good. I feel great and I am down a size! I'm a little upset with my hubby though. I was looking at some pics of a very muscular woman and my dh walked by and was not pleased. He basically said he found it unattractive. This is really out of character for him but he told me he'd rather I not get "so beefed up." He usually is an "I love you no matter what you look like" type of guy. It upsets me cause I think it is awesome. I guess I shouldn't worry because I'm far from that type of body but it is the body type I'd like. Sorry for the ramble, it is just upsetting to me. Oh well I'll keep getting stronger and more fit and he will just have to learn to love it!
I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Tam
Old 03-16-2002, 10:31 PM   #3  

Hi Tam,

Keep your attitude that he'll have to learn to love it!!!

Sometimes when we change (not just physically but emotionally and mentally and sometimes career wise) those closest to us are threatened even if they don't realize it. They think we'll get "better" and not want them around. Most of the time, like I said, they are not even aware that is the insecurity. So many people can undermine our progress with this "get back where you belong" attitude.

I'm sure that your DH is very loving and probably doesn't realize what he said is unsupportive.

Most of us will never, without a competition diet, get "beefed up" but to be lean and strong, well that is definitely do-able. Don't worry about his perceptions now. Just keep on doing what you're doing and come here for support!!! We're glad to have you join on in.

Susan
Old 03-17-2002, 07:47 AM   #4  

Default Good Morning Everyone!

I guess I should have been a little more specific about asking for feedback. I noticed that no one has given me specific feedback about my 6 week results.

I started thinking that maybe they are just trying to be nice and not say anything negative to me. Honestly girls, if this does not seem like I am on track please let me know now so that I can make some changes for the next 6 weeks. I am following the program with eating and working out but perhaps I could start skipping my free day eating.

I have thick skin - I can take it!
Old 03-17-2002, 08:54 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Hello Mrs. Early Bird!

Claire - if you're doing the program as written - trust me - DON'T CHANGE A THING. And I'm INCLUDING the free day here. The free day (esp in the first challenge or two) is (IMO) VITAL to your overall success...I know that if I decided to skip the free day I would have eaten 'unauthorized' during the week. Many times, I have been able to talk myself out of eating something 'bad' by telling myself 'in only a few more days...I can have it...it will still be there or I can buy some myself and REALLY enjoy it". In fact this very week I had to do that. Someone at work gave my boss a 1-pound box of See's Candies...and she opened it and put it on her desk. I swear I could smell it every time I came in - but I steeled my resolve and told myself...only a couple more days. And it worked!

As I've said before, I didn't even see visible results until Week 8. Keep on pushing - what you might want to do (if you haven't been doing this all along) is plan your meals for the next day the night before. You can print out the "nutrition-for-life" progress reports from the www.bodyforlife.com website and make copies. Planning is SUCH a key factor. Oh, BTW, I believe that Susanje didn't see visible results until week 11 - but I know she was feelin' great! And DO take those progress pix. Personally I think you are doing awesome - I just reviewed your post on the previous thread. Don't do what I did in the first challenge and decide that you need to do more cardio...most of the time the stumbling block is nutrition...and keep on posting here

Susanje - as far as my comp diet - Pam did give me a list to use when I want to substitute - but for the most part I like to stay with what her menus say. Most of the time when I do substitute it's switching veggies. For instance, I despise cauliflower so I subsitute a similar veggie for it (usually broccoli) when it shows up on the menu. A couple of times I've substituted tunafish for chicken breasts - I keep those tuna packets in my desk at work...Amazing how easy those are to eat - I just cut 'em open, add a little pickle relish and lemon juice for flavor and eat right out of the packet. Yeah, I know they're expensive but it beats getting my hands all smelly when draining a can (at least at work anyway).

Tam - y'know, I had that very same comment - not from hubby though - from one of his coworkers, who also works out. He said I might be getting too 'buff' and to watch it. I told him don't worry - I'm missing two things - testosterone and steroids. On top of it I do take birth control pills so I'm getting some estrogen there. Actually Jim is being VERY supportive and is always bragging on me to everyone at work! Now if I could get him on the program - not this week though - he's got that bug that's been going around - the bright side is that he is now eating BFL style - chicken breasts on the Foreman and Myoplex Lites go down easy for him (I added frozen blueberries, strawberries, some cinnamon and banana SF Pudding mix to a vanilla Myo Lite and he LOVED it).

Anyway - I'm gonna hit the gym now - talk to ya later!
Old 03-17-2002, 09:24 AM   #6  

Default Thanks Mrs.Jim

I really do appreciate your comments. I need to tell you though that my name is not Claire. I've been wondering who she is in your responses - I think I'll go back and read some of them, now that I know they pertain to me. Don't worry, I know how it is when you get a name in your head. I've been calling my doctor's nurse the wrong name for 15 yrs! Good thing she's an easy goin kinda gal.

I'm so glad that you responded. I just finished reading a post on L&S for someone's W4 results - 15 lbs lost and 15 inches lost!!! Wow I'm happy for her - but it really made me start to think about my progress. I know that I had results like that when I started at 330lbs - maybe it gets slower as you get closer. Now I wish I hadn't taken 6week measurements - I should have just kept movin until the end - not that I'm gonna stop. This just gives me more determination.

I felt better knowing that Susanje did not see noticeable results until W11, and you until W8. That was another worry. One of my goals was to fit into a dress for Easter (W8) and I tried it on yesterday. I can do up the buttons but they are tight (it's a beautiful hand painted linen dress that my mother inlaw gave me and we are going to see her at Easter). I guess there is still hope.

I pretty much plan my meals in my head but I will take your advice and start putting them on paper. I hope I can look back at this post after the challenge and laugh about what I was worried about. I have to remind myself that one of my original goals was just to finish this challenge - that will be huge for me! I will NOT be in that 90% that quits! I guess I just started getting hung up on the measurements - there are certainly other ways to measure like:

I feel great! I'm starting to feel firm! My energy level is unrelenting! Life is good!
Old 03-17-2002, 11:13 AM   #7  

TH,

I'm sorry that I missed your post where you asked for feedback.

I didn't see very visible results but when I look at the pix now, I see that BFL gives you a different kind of results than you are used to on a "regular diet". Like Hussman says, BFL changes you ALL OVER. On other "diets" I could lose my gut and some of my hips by just reducing calories or carbs. Not so bfl. On BFL you are reducing fat and building muscle. As you build muscle, the fat burning becomes more efficient but it is not an overnight thing. The changes you are making are more than just surface changes. You probably don't notice areas of your body where lean muscle is being built and fat is being reduced (shoulders, ankles, back of your knees)...places that people don't typically measure and/or concern themselves with.

You are probably building muscle faster than you are reducing fat (fat is stubborn!!!). So for a time you will have extra muscle plus the fat. It begins to balance out. For some of us week 8 and for some of us week 11. You can't do this for 12 weeks and not see ANY difference and for some the truly amazing changes start to occur in C2 or C3. Everyone is different.

Just know that you are doing something very unusual for your body. You are really turning it into a fat burning machine that is healthy, well fed and in peak condition. Your body will thank you once it gets with the program. Hang in there.

I get really depressed sometimes with my lack of progress due to my sickness and listening to my gyn over the winter. I could be wearing a size 6 now if I had done a year worth of challenges. But I'm just getting back to where i was at the end of my C1 ALMOST a YEAR AGO. The reason I'm returning to it is because it WORKS and even though progress is slow, I know that is because it is REALLY WORKING from the inside out.

It's like when you work ABS and you know you're not going to see them while you have a layer of fat over them. But you still work them knowing someday they will pop out. This is the WHOLE THING about BFL. Have faith and one day your lean body will pop out after the fat leaves. The fat leaves when it knows you're not kidding. And it knows you're not kidding when you keep doing it.

Don't get upset over lack of changes at week 6. They're coming!!!
Hang in there!!!!!!!!

Susan
Old 03-17-2002, 11:48 AM   #8  

Default Thanks Susan!

Like I said, I really do appreciate the words from you experienced gals and I trust them! Wow you have definitely been through the test of time - I really admire your perseverance.

When you mentioned "behind the knees" I had to go and run and look because that spot has always bugged me. It stayed there even after I lost a bunch of weight this past year. Guess what Susan! I was soooo pleased. The bulge that used to stick out at the side by the crease of my knee is almost completely gone! Thanks so much for reminding me of that. That is cause to celebrate - I'll be wearing shorts this summer! I just think that it is so cool that there are women on this site who know the trouble spots of the big ladies and where the fat accumulates!

You ladies are the best! I am really pumped now!

PS: Susan I have been meaning to say this. I've read your struggles with your gyn problems. Have you read any of the books by Christiane Northrup (I think that is her name)? I watched a show on PBS that she did. She made alot of sense about women's health issues. She was just recently on Oprah talking about peri-menopausal women. Just a thought - you might want to try reading her stuff.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Question

Hello all...

I'm not on the BFL program.. YET.. but I had a question I thought one or some of you might be able to answer.

My husband and I are planning to try the program and because of his time constraints and my lack of a driver's license, we'd like to do the workouts at home. I was wondering if anyone had an suggestions on what type of equiptment to purchase?

Also, the myoplex is a little expensive for our budget, so I was wondering if there are any comparable shakes out there that are a little more affordable?

Thank you all ...

Christine
Old 03-17-2002, 12:20 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Christine - welcome to our board!

First off - I know Susanje will have some comments about workout equipment for home use since she's lucky enough to have the room to do so (wish I did). However, if I could have a home setup, I would definintely get Power Blocks (www.powerblock.com) rather than dumbbells. They are so nifty and take up so little room!

Where have you checked Myoplex prices? If you went to the EAS site or GNC - they sell it at full retail. The two best places I've found for Myoplex are the Netrition link through www.leanandstrong.com/ls or www.vitaglo.com. If you buy the 42-serving package of Myoplex Lite, the cost per serving comes to somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.16 - 1.30. That's a pretty cheap meal IMO. But there are some other alternatives for Myoplex or Myo Lite (the Lite is what I recommend if you are trying to lose bodyfat - plus it's the least expensive version AND it tastes great!). Labrada makes one called Lean Body and Lean Body for Her...but I don't know how it stacks up cost-wise against Myoplex...Or you could buy a high quality protein powder (I recommend MetRx Protein Plus - you should probably only use 1/2 the recommended amount per serving as each serving has 50g of protein in it!) and have it with a carb (try mixing some frozen berries in the protein shake).

Of course, you could easily do BFL with 100% real food. Check out the Cooking Library at L&S - they have some great recipes there. One I want to try one of these days is the one for Steve's Yummy Pancakes which are supposed to be so yummy...the shakes are a convenience though...plus it's really nice to have that last meal be a Myoplex Lite or a Myoplex Power Pudding!

Thunderheart - sorry I got the names wrong!!!! I think I'm confusing you with waterbaby!!!!

I have to go take care of my poor sick hubby now...gave him some Theraflu and am making him eat the same breakfast I had (oatmeal with blueberries, cinnamon and Splenda, plus some scrambled egg whites). He is starting to get better but really needs to rest and get in some quality nutrition!
Old 03-17-2002, 01:02 PM   #11  

Thunderheart: Glad you can see those weird areas of progress!!!

I will check out Dr. Northrup. My gyn gave me the menopause diet which suggested not eating carbs with other foods. It reminded me of somersizing but I'm too damn busy to figure it all out. I was concerned about the lack of carbs while weight training (Most of those books do not take weighttraining into account) and I was led to the Cyclical Keto Diet recommended by Dave Draper and it is a wonderful cycle on/cycle off food plan and the book cost $40.00 but again it's so complicated to try to figure out. I need the PeriMenopausal Women Going to Law School Diet

BUT I WILL CHECK OUT DR NORTHRUP

Christine: WELCOME !!!

I have Powerblocks as MrsJim said and they are WONDERFUl. GEt the kind you can add onto. I think that someone, especially a man, would grow out of the lower end blocks.

I use them with a Swissball but I'd like to get a bench. I'd also like to add some barbells.

I just added rubber extension bands which are great. I bought 3 different tensions lite, medium and heavy.

I have an elliptical trainer but have actually heard great things about the Tony Little Gazelle which is less expensive than my Nordic Trak Elliptical.

In a perfect world I would have a leg press at home. I'm still looking for a used Universal model (older one) with a weight stack but haven't found it yet. I'd also like a leg curl/leg extension station but then I'd like a lot of things! Maybe when I'm a lawyer!

I also will be adding a chin up bar. I also have a variety of cardio tapes when I'm tired of the elliptical. I use Tae Bo a lot. I love that. Cardio is my nemesis so I try to keep it varied.

Again, welcome! Ask anything you'd like!
Susan
Old 03-17-2002, 01:12 PM   #12  

Inexpensive Mylo and other MRPS:

I am a big MetRx fan. I like their Classic Vanilla and their Berry Blast. I also like their containers of Protein Plus and then I add fresh or frozen fruit to balance. You can use any good protein powder and do this. Shop around. I find Designer Protein on sale on the net and in health food stores. I also like their Smoothie (Abs Berry Sundae...yum!!)

Go to netrition.com and vitaglo.com for some good deals.

I rarely use Myloplex but I do like the Orange Jubilee. It's 42 grams of protein per packet so I cut it in half and add an orange or strawberries or pineapple. Yummy. So for Orange Jubilee I usually cut the price in half.

Susan
Old 03-17-2002, 04:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the info!

I checked out those websites and the Myoplex was about 1/2 the cost it was on the EAS site.. wow! I think I may order the 42 variety pack of the Lite. One question, is the lite fine for men as well? My husband isn't overly tall and he's also trying to lose bodyfat.

As far as cardio goes, I already have a treadmill but its SO boring. I have been eyeballing the Gazelle myself, as its only $120 at Dick's Sporting Goods store but, I am more worried about getting me some strength training equiptment first. Those powerblocks looked very tempting but I don't know if I'm ready to invest that kind of money yet. I want to make sure I'm going to stick with this first! I think I'll just buy a simple bench and set of weights for now and upgrade later if I convince myself I'll use em ;-) I already own some resistance bands but I really prefer working with weights myself.

Those recipes at L&S look SO good. It is my intention to try to start the challenge on April 1st, so I think I'll spend the next 2 weeks preparing.. trying out some recipes.. getting myself organized. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Oh, is that Myoplex pudding a recipe or something they sell?

And, one more thing.. are body fat scales anywhere near accurate or would one be better off investing in some high-quality calipers?

Thanks again!

Christine
Old 03-17-2002, 05:49 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

If your hubby is looking to lose bodyfat, why not try the Myo Lite for the first week...if he feels like he's getting too hungry, get some of that MetRx Protein Plus or similar and add a scoop of it to his Myo Lite - that'll bring the protein up a bit.

As far as the Gazelle as a cardio choice - from what I've read on L&S from people who have tried it and bought it - it is VERY difficult to hit your 10's on this device. Apparently it's the lack of any real resistance...I dunno...I would definitely try it before you buy it. (and try NOT to get that so-called "$14.95 30-day trial" - because if you decide you don't want it, it'll cost you a fortune in shipping to send it back!)

I'd get the powerblocks first - and a good jump rope or some really good running shoes. The thing about powerblocks vs. dumbbells, is that sure on the surface the powerblocks look more expensive...but (take it from me) when you start working out with weights regularly, you will very quickly build strength and have to buy heavier and heavier weights - especially with hubby training with you. Most of the time when you buy weights, they charge you by the pound and that can get very pricey, not to mention take up a heck of a lot of room! And if you decide you aren't going to use the powerblocks, they would be VERY easy to resell...they are a very popular item!

Oh another good 'economical' cardio option for at-home workouts is a WIND TRAINER. If you have a halfway decent bike, you can attach it to a wind trainer and get an AWESOME workout! Just be warned that the less expensive they are the NOISIER they can be...the pricier ones are pretty quiet - but all will give you a good workout!

As far as bodyfat scales - don't waste your money...the numbers are usually way off - you can't even use it as a guideline to tell how much fat you're losing. Netrition has the accu-measure calipers for $12 or will throw 'em in your order for free if you buy more than $75 worth of products...personally, I just rely on photos, clothes fit, tape measurements and positive comments from hubby/fellow gym goers/co-workers!

PS - oops - almost forgot about the Myo Power Pudding. It's actually a recipe. In *Some* boxes of Myoplex/Myo Lite, you get a little recipe pamphlet with ways of jazzing the shakes up a bit (although they're good on their own). If you don't get the pamphlet in your box, don't fret - you can find 'em here http://www.eas.com/products/recipes/shake.asp although I must warn you that not all of them are necessarily okay for BFL. Here are some of the recipes that are okay:
Quote:
Power Pudding
Mix one serving of vanilla Myoplex with approximately two ounces less liquid than directions call for. Then, add three tablespoons of your favorite sugar-free, fat-free instant pudding and five ice cubes. Blend at high speed for 45 seconds and serve.

Cinnamon Roll Supreme
Mix one serving of vanilla Myoplex according to directions. Then, add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon fat-free Butter Buds and 3 ice cubes. Blend at high speed for 45 seconds and serve. (this one is REALLY good too!)

Key Lime Pie
Mix one serving of vanilla Myoplex according to directions. Then, add 2 tablespoons frozen lime juice, one graham cracker (four small squares) and 3 ice cubes. Blend at high speed for 45 seconds and serve. (I usually make this one without the graham cracker - the lime flavor is still refreshing!)

Myoplex Egg Nog
Mix one serving of vanilla Myoplex according to directions. Then, add 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, 1 graham cracker (4 small squares) and 3 ice cubes. Blend at high speed for 45 seconds and serve. (I don't use the graham cracker - and I use nutmet instead of allspice)
Old 03-17-2002, 07:02 PM   #15  

Default Hi Christine

Welcome Christine - you are sooo lucky to have your husband do this with you. Still workin on mine.

I agree with MrsJim about the powerblocks. I know that they are really pricey but they are worth it in the long run. You can get by with just a bench (or swissball) and a dumbbell set. That is all I have been using so far. The problem is I am outgrowing the weights for my legs already so I have to go and buy more (and I am starting my 7th week). I'm sure your hubby will quickly outgrown them as well.

I would try your treadmill for the 20MAS. I have a treadmill as well and was getting bored with it before I started BFL. It is only for 20minutes and you will be busy changing speed every minute so you won't get bored.

Just my 2cents - good luck!
Closed Thread