Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-01-2007, 06:12 AM   #1  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Default Cool Runners - July

Hello everyone, how are you all?

I had a really nice run this morning. I ended up doing nearly 14.5 miles. It ended up being pretty slow because the ground was still quite muddy in places from all the rain we've had, and I decided to do a lot of the run off road. I got to the end and I definitely felt that I could have carried on a bit further, which is the first time I've really felt that on a long run since Edinburgh, so things seem to be coming back together again.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:50 AM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Morning!

Today is not a running day, but I did do my first day of week four of C25K yesterday morning - I was surprised I was able to do it - I think it's the new shoes!!

Back at it tomorrow - it still ain't pretty, but I don't care!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I'm off to run for an hour in a few minutes ... Later gators
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Helen -- when you do those 14 or more mile runs, what do you do for water? Do you carry it with you or just wait until you get back? I'm thinking about this now that my long runs are getting longer. On my 10-mile run the other day, my husband happened to drive out to where I was in my 8th mile and give me a few sips of water (I know, cute, right?), but that won't always happen!

Today I didn't want to run because it's hot, but it's not nearly as hot as it has been lately. I didn't get up early enough to beat the heat, so I just sweated it out in the hot sun for 4 miles. It was great, though -- a beautiful day -- and I did it in 42:36, even with those long hills I always have to deal with. That's a pretty good time for me. Just as I was getting started, a neighbor stopped the car and asked me if I live around here -- she didn't recognize me! I hadn't seen her in a while, so she didn't expect to see me 100 pounds lighter and wearing running clothes! That gave me the motivation to go a bit faster, I think!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Lisa, that's really cool about your neighbor not knowing who you were. I love it when stuff like that happens. And how sweet of your DH to bring you water.

Today I had to stop running at about 2.5 miles because I had to go to the bathroom. (Does that sound familiar to someone here who also lives in Oregon? ) Luckily, we were running on a bike path that goes through town and there was a bathroom that we walked to. I couldn't believe that happened because I'd already gone at home--I'm very regular so it was unexpected (sorry, TMI, I know!) and unwelcome. Doing a race on Wednesday and now I'm all worried about the bathroom issue, but I did eat a bit more heavily last night than I usually do so that could account for the extra, um, buildup.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 AM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Lisa - it depends on the weather. Yesterday I didn't carry anything with me, although I had money so I could stop at a shop if I needed something. If it's warmer/sunnier I do sometimes carry water, but never much more than a 500ml bottle and some money to buy more if I need it. I have a camelbak, but I don't really like wearing it so prefer to carry something in a bottle in my hand. I almost always just have water rather than sports drinks, for long runs I use energy tablets plus water (although I'm wondering whether something with a bit more salt might be a better idea if I'm sweating a lot).
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #7  

Thanks, Helen. I've been considering carrying a bottle of water in my hand on long runs. I live in the boonies so there's nowhere to stop to buy anything! What kind of energy tablets are you talking about? My husband used those Gu thingies in his half marathon last year, but they seem kind of disgusting to me. I'm grossed out by certain textures, and I'm afraid it might make me throw up during a run!

Today I ran 3 miles, and I came home, pulled off my shoe, and found a rather bloody sock. My toenail was sort of digging into the side of my middle toe and made a little hole in it. Pretty gross. I felt it on the run, but it just felt like it was scraping a little, so I didn't think it was a big deal. I'm surprised I could lose that much blood from a little toe!! I try to keep my toenails clipped but they grow really fast!
Old 07-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Lisa Marie -- I've been told that if you carry a water bottle in one hand it makes you lopsided and not good for your running alignment... My g/f has one of these fuel belts...

I have a different one, I can't find the picture of it though, but I did get it at the Running Room... It's a belt with an insulated holder at the back that you can just slip in one of your own bottles... It also has a small pouch beside the holder, room enough for keys, cellphone and a bit of change...

Yesterday I ran a little over 6k...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #9  

Thank you, Ilene! That actually looks like just what I need. I carry my cell phone in my hand and it gets a bit sweaty when it's hot. I'm always thinking I'm going to drop it.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I hate carrying water in my hand. I like the fuel belt because of the variety, but I already have my camelbak.

I use gu...quite regularly. Not like I did a couple years ago though, so I am feeling less need, but I run better if I get it in every 45 min-hour on long runs. I used 1 on my 10 miler, and 2 on 14 and 16 milers and during my 1/2. probably will use 3 for 18 and 20 and start carrying pretzels or something salty.

The texture is kind of nasty, I think the lemon and raspberry are thinner and clean off your palate easier, the vanilla and chocolate are a better flavor, but are kind of sticky. I cant do chocolate DURING a run as it gives me heartburn, but like it before races.

7 this morning...kind of sluggish

yeeehah...the forecast for my 1/2 has dropped from 91 to 88 - bright sun, no cloud cover and no shade on the course. But hey, only 90% humidity.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #11  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

HI all!

I always feel a little like I shouldn't be here when I read about how far or long you can all run, but then I just tell myself - well, they must have started somewhere, too! And who knows? In a year's time, maybe some newbie will think *I* run far/long!!

I did day 2 of week 4 today (C25K) - ToM arrived yesterday with a vengeance, so I am really proud of myself for just getting out and 'doing it' - just call me NIKE!

The weather's been nicer here - sunny, but cooler than it has been, so it's great for running - or 'loping', which is what I do!!

Lisa - I LOVE the story about your neighbour - how inspiring and fabulous!!

Chat to ya'll soon -
Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #12