Old 06-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #1  

Default Rotation Diet?

Hi, all. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this diet. (It's the rotation diet for weight loss by Martin Katahn, not the rotation diet for allergies).

If so, what were your results?
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:28 PM   #2  
Ready to Be a Loser!

S/C/G: 181/177.8/160

Height: 6'0''

sorry im a little late, this diet works, i lost 13 lbs in 3 weeks than you take a 3 week break and then go back on it if you need to lose more, go back on it. it was hard, could not stick to it.
giovannip811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:08 AM   #3  

no....but i'm interested to know more about it
justlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #4  

Thanks for the input, giovanni. I'm interested in this because I only have about 20 lbs. to lose, so I figure that a couple of rotations should do it. I'm not planning on trying it until the fall, though. In the summer, my routine is too haphazard (too much impromptu eating). Thanks for the feedback, though.

Justlost, you ought to get the book (I bought it for 6.99 at my local bookstore). The author, Dr. Martin Katahn (Ph.D., not medical doctor) writes an engaging and convincing book. It makes a lot of sense. Also, the 3-week plan he lays out was put together by a nutritionist, and it seems to be low-calorie but nutritionally sound. If you look up the book on Amazon, you'll notice that most of the reviews are positive.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #5  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I myself am very leary of any diet that promotes 600 calories per day for three days in a row. That just seems too dangerous for my liking- even the 900 calories is too low to me, but it is more doable.

I can see rotating calories perhaps like 1000, 1200, then 1400 calories, then doing a couple of weeks vacation and eating perhaps 1700-1800 calories per day, but I fear that his calories for women is just too dangerous. I mean, I can't even fit all of my fruits, veggies, and proteins for the day on 600 calories that we women need everyday, forget any carbs.

I remember years ago, when I was a teen and did the Diet Workshop. For two months, my calories rotated, and I was on 600 calories for a week (twice in one month's time). Let me tell you, the dizzy spells, ringing in my ears, feeling faint and just exhausted almost did me in. I lost five pounds that first week, but it was the worst five pounds I ever tried to lose. I lost an additional 4 pounds the second week I was on it, but again, another nightmare week health wise.

They bumped me up to 900 calories the next week. I started out ok for a couple of days, then the same started to happen. My mother kept telling me to stick to it, that it was working, but luckily, my Dad intervened and told me to up it by 300 calories, as what I ate a three year old would eat twice as much in a day! Not to mention, I had hypoglycemia then (and still do, lol), so it definitely was a dangerous amount of calories for me.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #6  

Thanks for the input, Steelslady. I am a bit leary of calories that low, but according to Dr. Katahn (who at the time of the book was a weight loss researcher at Vanderbuilt University), the alternating calories and consistent exercise part of the program prevent the metabolism from slowing down and shouldn't pose any health risks for people who have not existing health problems.

That being said, if I try it and the calories are too low for me, I will definitely up them. In past programs, I have gone as low as 600 calories before, and it was tough. I just don't think I have the energy to stick with a longterm weight loss plan any more, and I'm just heartily sick of this 20 lbs. that's preventing me from fitting into most of my clothes. I guess I have an attitude problem right now! Thanks, again, for the input.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 245 / 185 / 130

Height: 5' 6"

thanks for reminding me! i did this diet with a friend back in college and while i followed the men version (same story, more calories) i lost 15 lb in 3 weeks. one rotation was enough to kick start me in the right direction.

come to think of it, i may try doing this again. i could definitely stand to see some extremely positive results in the short term to motivate me for the long term.
losingitandlosingitwell is offline   Reply With Quote