Old 06-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #1  

Default Give it a try

Well I just talked to my doctor today. She suggests I try a low carb diet. She has seen high success rates, and thinks I will lose on it.

That's all fine and dandy, but I have NEVER tried anything like this. I happen to be a big fan of bread and pasta. She suggests I start out at about 40-45g of carbs a day. SLOWLY work my way down, since this is a lifestyle change, and if I start too fast, I won't stick to it.

So here I am, scared to death. Where do I start???

I am not a huge fan of cooked veggies, so unless there is some trick to it...I will probably have to stick to mostly raw. I like the crunch I guess.....can't handle the hot mush.

I am a fan of salad.

Any suggestions you can give me would be wonderful! If you need any other info that'll help you help me, just let me know. I am an absolute newbie at this, I have NO IDEA what I'm doing, but I know this is the place to find it. Thanks!
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Red face Welcome!!!

Toni!!

I've been doing Atkins for over 3 years now and while I am by no means an expert, I can tell you low carb does work.

Since you posted in the Atkins section, I am going to assume you are going to be trying Atkins. You might want to start by getting yourself a copy of the book, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution so you can fully understand & educate yourself about how & why this truly does work. In the meantime, I am posting these links for you, they should prove beneficial

http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...e-1-induction/
http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...eptable-foods/
http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...-of-induction/

I was never much of a veggie eater either but...A LOT has changed since I've been on Atkins Here is a website with some of the best & most delicious low-carb recipes you will ever find on the web. The ones that are appropriate for Induction are marked with an *.

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

If you have any questions, you've come to a great place for advice, support & encouragement!!

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #3  
Going to ONEderland

If vegetables taste to you like "hot mush" you are cooking them too long. I like to steam brocoli, but it still has to have some bite to it. Boiling ruins it. Other vegetables are good stir fried so that they still have some crispiness to them when you are done. This means that if you are cooking them with meat, you cook the meat first and add the veggys at the end, and only cook them long enough to heat them through.

I cooked some squash the other day, sliced thin, heated in butter and garlic with some lime juice sprinkled on top. You only have to cook them for a few minutes though because they will lose their crispiness if they are in the pan with the heat on too long. Also remember that vegetables will keep on cooking if left in a hot pan, so remove them from the pan to a bowl.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote