Old 05-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #1  

Default Peeling Eggs easily?? Such a thing??

I need to know if there is an easy way to peel eggs. We are doing adkins and I have been making my hubby and me deviled eggs, but I have to mash alot of white because I ruin it peeling it. Any ideals? Thanks
Lovemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

I have found that really fresh eggs are hard to peel. So when I buy eggs to hard boil, I leave them sit a week or so in the carton in the refrigerator before I cook them.

I also add salt to the water when simmering - that's supposed to help make them easier to peel.

After I rinse and chill them, I roll the egg on the counter top to break the shell as opposed to tapping and cracking it, then I run it under cold water - I find that sometimes if you can get some water under the shell and the egg is not so dry it peels easier.

Hope that helps...

And even with all of that, occasionally you get some stinkers that just don't want to be peeled
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

If you cook them a day before and let them sit in the fridge overnight the shell comes off like nothing. I just did this today
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #4  

COOL. Thanks for the ideals. I will definitely try them.
Lovemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #5  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

What I do is after boiling them I run them under cold water and then what I do is slam them (lightly) on the kitchen top and roll them hard enough so the shell breaks away... i roll them with my hand on them like a rolling pin (obviously dont do it so hard that you change the shape of the egg) the egg then cracks and falls away.
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:31 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Make sure you crack the entire egg shell. Roll it on the counter or just apply a little pressure with your fingers, but you want to have tiny cracks in the shell over the entire egg. Then start peeling it away, bit by bit.

Also, make sure you cool the eggs before you try to peel them. It is much harder to peel hot eggs (and you'll burn your fingers).

I also find it's easiest to start at the flatter end. There's usually a little air pocket there, where the shell is separated from the egg already.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #7  

It is true about fresh eggs being harder to peel. If I am boiling eggs and have some fresh and some that are about a week old the fresh ones are always a pain to peel. I have also heard this on various cooking shows.
Judy
judyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #8  

Default egg

According to Julia Childs, the PERFECT hard boiled egg : place in pot bring to boil, cover and set for 17 minutes.... then place in ICE WATER for 2 minutes, then BACK in your boiling water for 10 seconds, then back in the ice... supposed to peel easier... the YELLOW DOES come out PERFECT, no green, but I don't think it peels alot easier... but I AM going to try the LEAVE in the frige over night thing!
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote