Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 340/165/150

Height: 5'7"

FWIW, because I was feeling like a bit of a freak being the only one here that would take disability over obesity, I asked this question at another weight loss forum I participate at in their subforum for those that have or have had more than 100 lbs to lose:

If you had to choose between being permanently obese at your top weight or having some other permanent disability such as being deaf, dyslexia, diabetes, bad acne, heart disease, a leg amputated or being blind, which would you choose?

Completely unscientific, granted, but I got 4 people prefering obesity to disability, 3 that would take any of the listed disabilities over obesity, 3 people that would take any of the listed disabilities except blindness over obesity, 2 that would choose any of the listed disabilities except blindness & amputation over obesity and 3 that agreed to take a specific disability (1 dyslexia and 2 deafness) over obesity.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Valerie -- Interesting!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #63  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

There were 2 "weirdness quizzes" floating around the internet a while ago. A group of friends of mine took it.

One of the questions was "would you rather gain 50 lbs (or 100 lbs in the other quiz) or get run over by a truck" I was amazed at the number who chose get run over by a truck. This isnt statistics, these are just my friends, about 30 women all 25-40. Well more than half would rather get run over by a truck. "as long as I am not killed or paralyzed" but I didnt think that was implicit in the question that you could count on that.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:15 AM   #64  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

In that scenario... Has it occurred to them that even without ending up paralyzed, they could end up crippled for long enough a period until full recovery that they'd be bed-ridden and gain weight as well?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:20 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

We could try a poll here at 3FC.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:44 AM   #66  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
It seems logical to follow up on our first two topics of unattainably thin body weight ideals and prejudice against obesity with this study about the formerly obese. I have to say that this passage blew my mind when I first read it:

The obvious question is -- how would you answer the question? And why? Why do you think the researcher got the responses she did?

I'm still trying to figure out what I would say.
I will admit I haven't gone through all 5 pages of this thread, in fact, I only went through the 1st page. Two things caught my eyes, deaf, diabetes.

Starting with deaf. I have been a relay operator for the deaf for the past 2+ years. I have dealt with very abusive people, both hearing and deaf. I have been called names by both parties. Although at this stage, I would definitely know how to use the telephone system, I have developed many prejudices against the deaf. I will not list them here. Besides, music has always been very important to me, I cannot phantom losing the ability to hear my favorite 80's tune. But, then again, technologies have really advanced, as cochlear implants have come along. Maybe by the time I was deaf, that would be reversable.

As for diabetes, well I already got that. I have mentioned here that I am very thankful that I was diagnosed with diabetes, as for the the 1st time in my life I am in control of my body instead of my body in control over me. It sucks that I have to prick myself daily, but this pricking tells me alot. Even though the pricking is based on the carbohydrates I had prior, it also tells me, and reminds me of the amount of calories I had. When my blood sugar level is unacceptable to me, then I know I did a bad thing. If I was told that I was no longer diabetic, I would continue to prick myself.

I guess I would chose to be obese again, at least I wold have more knowledge on what I have to do to lose the weight. Obesity is curable through diet, diseases can only be controlled by drugs.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:27 AM   #67  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kery View Post
In that scenario... Has it occurred to them that even without ending up paralyzed, they could end up crippled for long enough a period until full recovery that they'd be bed-ridden and gain weight as well?
that was my argument exactly! put me in the hospital for a month and I'd gain 50.
Closed Thread