Old 06-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #1  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

Angry veggies hate me!!!

For the most part I don't care for them either but...

If I eat veggies without a significant portion of meat or a lot of cheese they make me sick. It's like my system refuses to digest them so if I have a salad for lunch I have pain and gas for days after. It's like they just sit in my stomach and rot. I know it's gross but what the heck do you do about that?!?!?
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Are you drinking water? There's fiber in veggies and when you up your fiber you need to up your water intake as well.

If that doesn't help you might want to try using beano (anti-gas drops you can get them at any drug store.)

There are lots of good things in veggies. Keep trying!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinny View Post
For the most part I don't care for them either but...

If I eat veggies without a significant portion of meat or a lot of cheese they make me sick. It's like my system refuses to digest them so if I have a salad for lunch I have pain and gas for days after. It's like they just sit in my stomach and rot. I know it's gross but what the heck do you do about that?!?!?
I have a real problem with raw veggies.. they too just sit there and make my stomach hurt. Try steaming them, roasting them or stir frying them. For me it makes a world of difference!!

If you want a salad, trying steaming things like broccoli, cauli.. etc in advance, letting them chill and then eating them. Might work, but some people just cannot tolerate any raw veggies at all! even lettuce
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #4  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

I drink a lot of water like 1.5 liters just at work, so it's not that.

Beano doesn't help, I've tried it.

Doesn't matter if they are cooked or raw I have the same bad reaction if I don't have lots of meat or cheese.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

This seems really weird. It doesn't seem logical that adding fat or protein would make veggies significantly more digestible (though a dietician would have more insight). Is it a quantity issue? You could be eating smaller portions when veggies are a side dish than you do when they're the main event like in a salad. Gradually increasing portion size would be a solution in that case.

If you hate vegetables and have to gag to get them down unless they're covered in some kind of sauce, the actual stress involved in eating them could be why they sit in your stomache like a rock. Even very mild stress can slow down digestion. Gradually decreasing the butter or cheese or using low calorie sauces might work better if that's the case.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:06 AM   #6  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Broccoli and cauliflower give me gas, and lots of it, if I eat them raw. Spinach gives me diareah (raw or cooked, doesn't matter)- I have no idea why. I still eat these foods, but in small quanties and not on the same day, or I'll be in trouble with the old tummy. Sad thing is, I love all of these veggies very much and can't eliminate them completely from my diet- I even crave them sometimes.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:28 AM   #7  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 02:36 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #8  
it's always something

What kind of veggies are you eating? Some may be easier to digest. Salad, summer squash like zucchini and yellow squash should be easy. How about tomatoes? Maybe avoid cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cabbage until your body gets used to the changes in your diet, then ease them in
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #9  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 02:32 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

I had the same problems - especially with salad. Honestly - I just don't eat salad very often because it leaves me running to the bathroom(diet food AND exercise?*LOL*)

I used to be bothered by veggies but when I went on south beach and forced myself to just do it - eventually my stomach stopped getting so angry & now it gets angry when I eat things that aren't so great for me instead.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #11  

I find that if I haven't eaten many veggies in a while, then all of a sudden eat a veggie only lunch, I'll have stomach distress as well. Now, that I'm eating veggies more regularly, I'm, well, more regular.

A. Whitney Brown once said "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants."
glyconutrients is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #12  
Candice

S/C/G: 189/180/125

Height: almost 5'1"

I agree...just keep trying. I am in the same boat on a few though. If I eat apples by themselves or celery by itself, my stomach gets a very raw feeling. So I usually have them with a little bit of natural peanut butter or some string cheese at snack-time and that helps a lot.
sixpence1978 is offline   Reply With Quote