View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #36
paperclippy
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I think that the perception of obesity as a disease may evoke the notion that it is best treated medically or surgically. Since we are in a treatment programme that is working ...
This is really interesting. I posted back on one of the other threads about obesity as a "disease." But OTOH I can think of several diseases for which non-medical treatments are an option (usually for milder cases). For example, depression may be treated with psychotherapy instead of anti-depressants. ADD may be treated with very strictly controlled schedules or I even saw on TV someone who had a lot of success with her ADD child by sending him to martial arts classes. So maybe it is the case that for people for whom the "non-medical" treatments don't work, surgery is the only option left? Kind of like how I have tendinitis in my wrists. I tried ice, compression, rest, elevation, massage. None worked. I tried medication and it didn't work. I tried injections and they didn't work. Finally I had surgery. (That didn't work either but that's not my point! )