Old 06-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/sig/125

Height: 5'1

Default My strategy.. is it bad?

I have been eating one or two of the atkins chocolate chip bars a day and for dinner I have like chicken or steak. I have been losing a lot of weight using this tactic, but everyone is critisizing me saying that I am starving myself and that I am going to get sick. I feel fine, in fact I have more energy now then ever.

Do you think they are right? Should I stop being so strict? What is your advice? I find I don't really get hungry anymore and have to kind of force myself to even eat the bars. However, I am losing weight again after a stall and I feel great.
Rikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #2  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Rikku, Congrats on the weight loss. I dont think the bars are a very healthy option long term. You may have a hard time when you reach maintenance and have to eat real food again. On the otherhand I never pay much attention to what other people say, you should be doing what you think is best for you.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #3  

Clarify, please-- Are you eating the Atkins bars and steaks in addition to other healthy foods, or is that all you're eating?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #4  

Thats all I am eating, like yesterday I went to the movies and ate some popcorn so I only ate that and one atkins bar.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #5  

Then yes, it's not a healthy way to lose weight.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I would agree, you need a variety of plant foods in your diet. You may be getting enough calories, but certainly not enough variety. I would think at a minimum, several "colors" of vegetables, and citrus fruit. Some essential nutrients are available in supplements, and it wouldn't hurt to take a daily vitamin if you aren't already, but there are a lot of nutrients that are still only found in real food. Vitamin deficiencies can take weeks or months to develop, so feeling fine now isn't the best judge.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 PM   #7  

I was under the impression that you cant eat any fruit on Atkins? I thought they contained too much sugars as well as even some vegetables.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:16 AM   #8  

Are you still on induction? My plan is less strict, so my Atkins knowledge is a little rusty. After induction, aren't some fruits like berries ok. I was thinking a citrus fruit for vitamin C, but I believe strawberries and bell pepper are high in vitamin C, too. I remember there were quite a few veggies allowed on Atkins. I know two good general rules with veggies is to eat as many colors as possible, and the darker the veggie the higher the nutrients.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Default Now I'm confused

I've been looking at those Atkins bars - sometimes I just really want a "chocolate" fix - but the carbs on the package are around 19-25. Induction only allows 20. Can I eat them or what?
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #10  
doinTHEbestIcan

Height: 5'4"

Rikku,

I don't eat much either. I usually only eat lunch and I make it whatever I want. I TRY to stay away from bread and I DON'T eat red meat. When I get hungry throughout the rest of the day, I drink juice or water.

I've lost quite a bit of weight and when people ask me how I've done it and I tell them details instead of just saying, "eating less" they always have an opinon.

This is the only diet that I have been able to stick with that I created for myself and I am actually losing WEIGHT!!! I don't feel deprived because when I do eat my one meal a day it's what I want. There is a lot of restricting involved but I feel great and I look great!!!

I say, do what you feel comfortable doing, no one knows what it's like to be RIKKU but RIKKU!
mrsgeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #11  

I don't think the quantity of food or even frequency of meals is the issue. There just isn't any way to get a balanced diet eating only 2 foods, even if the bars are fortified with vitamins and minerals. Eating like this for a few days isn't likely to be a problem, but vitamin deficiencies can happen even if you're taking a multivitamin. Last year I had a vitamin D deficiency, and had no idea. I was more tired than usual and was getting leg cramps, but since I have fibromyalgia, I just assumed I was flaring. I was taking a multivitamin, but not drinking much milk.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Rikku, you may be losing a lot of weight only eating Atkins bars & meat however, if you want that weight loss to be permanent, learning to eat healthy for life is essential. Consuming only Atkins bars & meat is not something you can do long term. If you are interested in doing Atkins the way it was written, you may want to read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution.

Laura, as far as your question regarding the Atkins bars...simply put, NO. I know Atkins Nutritionals promotes them being "appropriate" for Induction however, they contain ingredients (soy, milk, peanuts) that are NOT on the acceptable foods list. They also state on the front label 2 net carbs. They claim they do not contain sugar alcohols. For example, the chocolate peanut butter flavor are 22 carbs, if you deduct the 10 grms fiber...that comes to 12 net carbs. The label says 2 net carbs. They are deducting for glycerin. Incidentally, glycerin IS a sugar alcohol!! They have been known to stall many people. Personally, I would stay clear of them on Induction unless it is an emergency and you have nothing else low carb available to eat.

All the best to you both!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #13  
hara hachi bu

At risk of sounding like your mother, I'm going to have to suggest eating vegetables and whatever Atkins-friendly fruits you can have.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Jersey Girl - Thanks for setting me straight. I'm glad I've avoided them so far - it's a little sad though, I was really hoping for a chocolate fix. Any ideas?
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:52 PM   #15  

Dont you get the shakes from not eating? I am trying to diet but if I dont eat enough I get the shakes.
bethmart is offline   Reply With Quote