Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:16 AM   #1  

Default Benefiber

I have a huge appitite I guess. my diet is a generous 1800 calories a day and I can't do it! I get too hungry. And this isnt cravings either, it is real hunger. Eventually I know I will have to cut down to 1600 if I want to lose anything but am starting with 1800 and see if I can ever get used to it.

I am thinking it might help to bulk up. I'd like to put fiber in my food and maybe that will fill me up

I am looking at benafiber because that is what it is for(to mix with food). Has anyone ever tried it? Did it make you less hungry at all?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I could be mistaken here. But I believe a supplement WILL NOT fill you up. That being said FOOD with lots of fiber WILL fill you up. As will protein.

I used to say that I had a bottomless pit of an appetite. I could just eat .... and eat .... and eat... and NOTHING would fill me. Well now I am genuinely satisfied. I eat tons and tons and TONS of veggies. Protein as well. Give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised as well. Just make sure when you eat fiber that you drink lots of water as well. Fiber absorbs a lot of water so you need to drink more then usual. Also start out slowly and increase so your tummy gets a chance to get used to it.

Do a search for high fiber foods for a list of the top fiberous foods. Lots will come up. Add some protein along with it and I think you will see a nice difference.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #3  

Thanks!

I have decided instead to buy and try a half a cup of "Fiber One" cereal (60 cal 1/2 cup)mixed with a cup of the a low calorie puffed rice or wheat(55 cal a cup) with some fruit(100 cal) and 1/2 cup skim milk(45 cal) total:260

I hope that will fill me up better then my current 3/4 cup of Total because that is not working.

Last edited by shootingstar67; 06-19-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #4  

Lots of tasty foods out there that are filled with fiber, you just have to look for them

La Tortillas are a good example. They can have any where from 8-14 grams of fiber per tortillas. Thomas English muffins also makes a higher fiber english muffin - I believe it was also 8 grams per serving. Look at some whole grain products, such as bulgur wheat, quinoa etc to help add fiber. Popcorn is aslo good - leave off the grease. Don't forget veggies either. There are also fiber supplements such as fiber caps etc, but I personally get 40+ grams a day of fiber just from making better choiecs so I don't need those.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #5  

Thanks!

Yeah I am going to look for those La Tortillas. I hope I find them. I eat a whole wheat tortilla now but it is very high in calories. I hear that La Tortilla is lower. I love popcorn so that is a go.

I haven't attempted to reduce my calories in a long time. I have made many many lifestyle changes My diet is very low fat, I eat almost no fat which might be why I am so hungry with olny a slight calorie reduction. I have been maintaining this current weight for a few years but want to lose the rest for my 40th birthday.

I can't believe how hungry I get.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Shootingstar, I LOVE FIber One cereal. I have 1/2 cup every morning, but instead of having it with the puffed cereals, I have it with 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean cereal - more great fiber AND protein. It's a great combo.

I also put some Fiber One cereal in my fat free yogurt every day. It adds a nice crunch. I put it salads as well in place of croutons. I even munch on it all by its lonesome.

Like Linda, I get over 40 grams a day of fiber. It really is great stuff. Give yourself a couple of weeks. When I first started reducing my calories that's about how long it took til I got used to it. I look back now and don't ever know how I ate as much as I did. Sheesh. Or why.

And by the way, just how low fat are we talking here? We do need SOME fat in our diet. Chicken breast, fish, low fat cheeses, avocado, some nuts - all good and healthy fats - in moderation of course.

I find drinking lots of water also helps to keep me full. You might want to give it a try.

Good luck and happy upcoming 40th birthday.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:59 AM   #7  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi, I use Benefibre as a supplement--although I also eat lots of whole grains and veggies. Some fruit, not a lot.

It's a great product, especially for those days when you just haven't eaten very well. In fact, one of the main motivaters for me purchasing it was to sneak in more fiber into my young nephews diet without them knowing it.

It doesn't fill you up, however. It is soluble, which means it doesn't thicken up ... so it's tasteless and doesn't change the texture of your food or water.

I also used to be a bottomless pit. I think it's best to start out with more calories, then slowly go down. Because as you learn to portion out your food, you realize how full you are. I think maybe your stomach shrinks. I used to be able to eat a whole medium pizza within four hours or so. Now, I am lucky if I don't feel sick after eating two slices. I went from eating sometimes two full plates of pasta in one night, to maybe a half a cup cooked pasta a few times a week. My stomach just cannot handle to much at one time anymore.

I think that is what happens with the weight loss surgery also. They cut away parts of the stomach, so that it cannot hold as much food. But if you slowly eat more, eventually it stretches out again.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #8  
Empress/Queen

All good suggestions about increasing fiber, but don't totally write off Benefiber. A little in sauces or sprinkled here and there can really boost your body's ability to manage blood sugar (in my opinion) and it provides a little extra fiber that will make a high glycemic meal (related to blood sugar control, which is related to appetite, in my opinion).

And as someone said, you DON'T want to start increasing fiber a great deal all at once because it will almost invariably cause digestive problems.
Closed Thread