General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #1  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

Default DUMB bees!!

Don't you just hate bees?

So I went to the woodsy park with my mom and my dog this morning and this BIG bee decided it liked me and wouldn't stop buzzing around me...I freaked out (never been stung, and hate bees) and started running. I ran for a good 3/4 mile because every time I would slow down the bee would be RIGHT there! I HATE HATE HATE HATE bees! I'm so freakin scared of them!

No more walking outside for me....man my heart rate was thru the roof!

What do you do to keep bugs off you outside when you're walking/jogging?

At least I got a good work out this morning..
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Hmm, sounds like you got a great little personal trainer! I can sympathize though. I've never been stung by a bee either and would like to keep it that way. I always tell people that I prefer my exercise indoors; that's how I keep bugs off me.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Don't wear perfume when you go to the park. Bees might think you smell like a fragrant flower.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #4  

I got stung on the eyelid by a bumble bee once.

Yup, it hurt as bad as it sounds like it would have. I try to avoid them totally now and I hate it when one "finds" me!
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #5  
I DO have a BellyButton!

yeah I think I'm going to be hitting the gym more often this summer. Bees absolutely drive me nuts. I dont' think I smelled very good because I still had sweat on me from my work out last night...HMMM...Maybe the gel I had in my hair?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #6  
I DO have a BellyButton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myself View Post
I got stung on the eyelid by a bumble bee once.

Yup, it hurt as bad as it sounds like it would have. I try to avoid them totally now and I hate it when one "finds" me!
I would totally freak out if this happened to me. My friends' husband got stung right in between his eyes. But he works for a bee farm, so he gets stung frequently. I think I freaked my mom out because I basically ran over her to get out of the bees way.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I haven't been stung by a bee since I was a kid and stepped on one. But, my garden that is all flowered out right now has tons of bees. Plus my fenceline that we are clearing that is covered with honeysuckle vines is also covered with bees. I'm also very afraid of getting stung, but I still do my outside work every day. I have also been told to never wear perfume when working outdoors because it attracts bees.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Put bug repellent on! That way you keep the mosquitos away as well.

Was it really a bee, or was it a wasp? Wasps are much "meaner."

I love bees. I've had bee stings a couple of times--when I stepped on one, for example--but mostly they just seem so wonderful to me. I watch them feeding on flowers, and you can hear them buzzing. It's a nice sound. And, they don't bother you unless you bother them. Slapping and screaming is a good way to upset them...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #9  

Quote:
And, they don't bother you unless you bother them.
Yeah, that's what I thought, too, until I had a swollen eye for a week!
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #10  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

I shutter at the thought of bee stings!! I got stung at least 7 times once when I was little and disturbed a nest while going down a slide next to a tree. I've gotten stung maybe 3 times since then. Last time was while I was picking apples off the IL's apple tree, wearing sandals and one got me between my toes! Man, that hurt!

My Grammy used to always say, "Let the bee be and the bee will let you be!" NOT TRUE!!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #11  

No perfumes, hair spray, etc.

Last summer my sister, her puppy, my then 6 year old and 3 year old were hiking through the woods and the puppy stepped on a nest -- the bees literally covered my little ones head and got all over inside my shirt. Somehow they only stung his arm in one spot (right at the edge of the cast on his poor little broken arm, and got me four or five times on the stomach and got the puppy too.

As my sister tells it -- you just need to run faster than the guy behind you she and my oldest didn't get stung!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #12  
I DO have a BellyButton!

See, that's the thing! I WAS wearing Bug repellent...because there are a lot of mosquitos there and aparently that didn't do any good. This thing was out to get me!

The little booger was definitly a bee...I didn't try slapping it because I knew that would make it sting me for sure and I didn't scream but I was definitly BOOKING it!

I hate wasps...for that reason I won't go in our barn because there are nests everywhere. I pretty much would be happy someplace where it's cold all the time. I honestly hate bugs.

The bee may not have been a HONEY bee (which I don't mind), but it was a bee. If it was a wasp I probably wouldn't have stopped running...those things are vicious and I'm almost certain they have no purpose in life but to bite us. (yes, I know they eat other bugs, but I'd rather have the OTHER bugs)
Old 06-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #13  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

I had a whole hive in my block wall. THEY WERE ALWAYS MAD!!! They would drink from the pool and then drown. It was like a floating Bee Island.
Then their buddies-the wasps came-Yellowjackets-MAD Yellowjackets! My backyard was a festering activity of madness. I fixed their wagon-I cemented up the hole and tore down the wasp nest. They're looking for me.....
-Jan
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #14  
I DO have a BellyButton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny O View Post
I had a whole hive in my block wall. THEY WERE ALWAYS MAD!!! They would drink from the pool and then drown. It was like a floating Bee Island.
Then their buddies-the wasps came-Yellowjackets-MAD Yellowjackets! My backyard was a festering activity of madness. I fixed their wagon-I cemented up the hole and tore down the wasp nest. They're looking for me.....
-Jan

maybe you need to.... or....

Old 06-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #15  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Every hair on my body is standing on end in sheer terror right now . . . I'm allergic to insect venom . . . Summer is meant to be spent indoors in front of an air conditioner. Both the allergy, and the phobic terror that goes with it, I inherited from my Father.

One of my Mother's favourite stories (she was originally a farm girl and bothered by nothing) was about the time that the three of us were on the way home from somewhere in the summertime (back before cars came with A/C) and teh windows were open of course. A bee got into the car. No word of a lie, my Father hadn't even gotten the car completely stopped before he and I both had our doors open to get out. My Mother, who was sitting in the middle, got left to kill the bee while he and I watched from a distance.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote