Old 06-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #1  

Default Stillman Diet anyone?

Well, after much asking, looking on other boards, and reading many,many book
and advice from lots of posters I've desided to go on Dr.Stillman diet.

It's a lot like ******* except you are allowed cottage cheese and farmers cheese and That will help when I tired of eggs.

anyone else?

Sweetmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #2  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

Height: 5'5"

You know, I didn't have any success with it. I tried the Stillman diet when I was in high school. I read the book (copyright. 1964) which was already years out of date by the time I tried it in the 1980s. While I lost some weight, in the end I wasn't successful because the plan was extremely limited and prevented me from eating many very healthy foods. The Stillman diet is an extremely hard core "no carb" approach to eating. You can't even eat veggies or fruits.

If you're looking for a more healthy "low carb" vs. "no carb" approach, you'll probably fare better on Atkins, Zone or South Beach diet plans.

Good luck.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Stillman is an extreme ketogenic diet that is used for quick weight loss...it is NOT meant to be followed long term. Basically, the diet includes lean beef, veal, chicken, turkey and fish. It also includes eggs & cottage cheese. Butter,dressings and any other kind of fat or oil are NOT permitted. While you may lose weight eating this way short term...in order for weight loss to be permanant...you MUST change your lifestyle. Not eating any vegetables or good fats is not healthy.

You might want to read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution or South Beach...both are much healthier alternatives to a successful low carb lifesstyle.

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #4  
juliemax

S/C/G: 305/153/129

Height: 4'10'

Default Stillmans

I tried this diet when I was much younger---yes you lose weight fast, however, watch out the first time you consume a salad or fruit. You need to be near a toilet for two days. And while you do stay on the strict Stillmans diet you will suffer severe constipation. So be careful. Actually I will tell you if you want a diet that will let you lose weight fast for a couple of weeks try the Cabbage soup diet (but only if you like cabbage)
juliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #5  

Thanks for all your advice and concern. I was planning on just doing this
diet until the end of the month then switching to the stillman inches off plan
which has no protein at all on it (it's all fruit, vegatables and whole grains). I have both books and to me is seems doable.

Juliemax, I do like cabbage but it at all you eat on that plan? While I'm eating just protein right now I feel I can do this for while. I have no cravings, the protein killed those. and I've felt so calm and in control.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #6  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Switching to a diet with no protien is not a good idea. If you dont get protien your body will burn muscle. You will lose weight, but you want to lose fat. Muscle loss will slow down metabolism. I think sticking to a high protien diet and gradualy adding in a few more veggies is a much better idea. Losing wieght is good but not at the expense of your health.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncezilla View Post
Switching to a diet with no protien is not a good idea. If you dont get protien your body will burn muscle. You will lose weight, but you want to lose fat. Muscle loss will slow down metabolism. I think sticking to a high protien diet and gradualy adding in a few more veggies is a much better idea. Losing wieght is good but not at the expense of your health.

What? I don't want to slow down my metabolism! sigh, I guess I'm back to
square one again. I'll guess I'll check out weight watchers again but I feel so
off track now. All the things you just posted are things I know but ever since I started on the low carb and started reading so many books I've gotten so
confused. I lose some than fall off and gain it right back. I haven't had an apple in months! I feel frustated and angry right now but I have an event coming up that I want to lose a few before and I've lose 10 pounds and
my jeans are hanging lower on my hips so I could start adding foods back
in but I think I need some more support.

thanks for the info and support.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #8  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

It's posible to stay lowcarb and still eat fruit. just chose some lower carb ones and have one serving a day. Strawberries are great, & having an apple once and a while should be fine. I hope you find a good plan that works for you.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #9  

Default Stillman Diet

The Dr. Stillman diet DOES work, IF you follow it correctly. I have seen so many times people "cheat" and think its ok...and once you cheat it throws your body out of the weight loss its in.

I did the Stillman diet in 2001 and went from 205 down to 143 and kept it off until now...3 pregnancies later lol.

So im going to be starting the diet again but cannot seem to find any receips....anyone have any Stillman recipes they can share?

thanks
sassymsjenni is offline   Reply With Quote