Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Basal numbers - I'm confused. Please help

So, what else is new?

Somewhere on here is a post Allison (Alinnell) made about the basal numbers. She found a formula to calculate it. Take your weight, multiply it by 10 and add your weight to that number for your basal number.

When I do that I get 2057. However, when I look at my fitday, it says basal is 1503. That's a big difference.

That said, the other numbers on fitday change daily. I totally understand why activities can change. I don't understand why lifestyle changes unless it is based on activities.

If 1 lb = 3,500 calories and I need to cut 500 cal per day from my diet, exercise 500 away daily or a combination of both, then which number do I use for my basal?

Also, why is the basal number that important anyway?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey cbmare!

The value in Fitday is based on your age, weight, and activity level. What activity level do you use there?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

It depends on what your metabolism is, how much you sleep, etc. You can't really define it by a formula that you've found online.

The basal number tells you how many calories your body burns just to stay alive. I really don't think that you should base what you eat off of your basal calories, because it doesn't take into account how much you're on your feet, how much moving around you do on a regular day, etc.

How much have you been eating to lose weight recently? If you've been going steadily, I wouldn't worry about changing it up because of a silly online formula.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Hey cbmare!

The value in Fitday is based on your age, weight, and activity level. What activity level do you use there?

Jay

I've tried changing my activity level from the first one which I think is just about bedridden to the construction worker level. It never changes the basal number. That stays the same from day to day.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
It depends on what your metabolism is, how much you sleep, etc. You can't really define it by a formula that you've found online.

The basal number tells you how many calories your body burns just to stay alive. I really don't think that you should base what you eat off of your basal calories, because it doesn't take into account how much you're on your feet, how much moving around you do on a regular day, etc.

How much have you been eating to lose weight recently? If you've been going steadily, I wouldn't worry about changing it up because of a silly online formula.

Is there a formula to use?

Thanks for saying that about the eating. I would just like to find out what I really need. My intake varies from day to day, as does my activity level. I want it to speed up to almost 2 lbs/wk and it's just getting frustrating.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.html
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Basal is "base needs" breathing, pulse, digestion etc. Anything over that is activity.

I had my calorie requirements done at a gym. It was based on my height, weight, age, sex, body fat percentage and how active I "think" I am. They told me 2200 cals for maintenance. Ha! I wish!

It's hard to get a good number for calorie needs. Look at several calculators. See what other folks are doing. Your best bet is to take a stab at a number and see what happens. The folks at 3FC will be more than happy to pitch in.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Mare, I have the downloaded version of Fitday. I don't know whether you're using that or not.

If you only change your activity level, it will not affect the Weight Goal calculation. Whatever was initially put in that box for "Calories Burned" on the Calorie Balance page will stay there unless you change it later--that way the Weight Goal that's current doesn't get thrown off. To change it you would click "Use Default," and it would change to the new value based on activity level. But don't do this unless you really want to change.

Do you have the "Overview" page? That shows the breakdown of calories burned, in terms of basal, logged activity, and digestion.

Check all of your setup for the Weight Goal--it seems like that's a big difference. When I did Alinnell's calculation it came out pretty close to my Fitday number.

Jay
Old 06-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #9  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

i think everyone is so different. those calculations done on a computer formula or by yourself based on a formula are not for everyone. i had my basal metabolism checked by the carbon dioxide output gizmo at a gym and it gave me 1100. I think it's more like 732. Ha. But a low metabolism has its advantages. For example, I don't need to take a breath very often so if I ever have to sing, I can hold a note for a real long time. That's it. I need to sing more.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

cbmare, if I were you I would forget about "those" calculators. They are highly inaccurate. I personally don't even bother with them - EVER. I keep my exercise separate and my calories separate. I burn what I burn and I eat what I eat.

The very best way to "know" how many calories to eat a day in order to lose weight is through trial and error. You need to track them carefully for a couple of weeks and see if that provides you with a loss and reaccess as you go on.

We could all probably help you a lot better if we knew what stage of the game you were at. How much you weighed when you started your journey, what you weigh now. Your height, your age. And just how many calories you are currently eating and what types of food.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-10-2007 at 07:01 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:47 AM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

spinymouse!

Jay
Old 06-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

cbmare, I would go with the FitDay numbers. You weigh 187, right? It comes out OK, I think, but still--check your Weight Goal setup.

Jay
Old 06-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
That said, the other numbers on fitday change daily. I totally understand why activities can change. I don't understand why lifestyle changes unless it is based on activities.
It might be changing due to weight loss. Your body burns less doing the same thing if you weigh less (due to the fact that it isn't carrying as much weight around.) My lifestyle and activity calories burned have gone down as I've lost weight. I do the same activity (walking 1.5 miles on my lunch) and I haven't changed my lifestyle setting. All I've changed is my current weight.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
All I've changed is my current weight.
WoW!!!! You sure have. Great going!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

zenor77!

And that's exactly right. As your weight drops, FitDay allows fewer calories per day.

Jay