The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 06:39 PM   #1  
Meg

Default TFL Key #4: Accept The Food Facts

Last edited by Meg; 12-22-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #2  

Quote:
peacefully accept their new way of eating: they know that they can’t eat whatever they want, and know that they can’t go back to their old food habits
I really did think that I was doing this but woke up before my alarm this morning after a nightmare about greasy french fries! I'm not sure what made me dream about this but perhaps I'm not as peaceful as I thought

I do enjoy the way that I eat now and I have to say that I positively 'bristle' if someone asks me how much longer I'll be on a diet or says that I've lost enough so why am I still watching what I eat?! Since fast food was my downfall, I pretty much avoid it. I was never into the "hard stuff" much, avoiding the drive thru windows but I often stopped at the corner for a sandwich and fries rather than cook dinner. Now when I feel the urge to be lazy about dinner, I head for the grocery store and grab one of those prepared veggie and fruit plates.

I don't keep a food journal anymore but I normally eat the same sorts of things over the course of a day or week, so I know pretty much that I'm on track (or not). I try to balance a day of heavier eating with a day of lighter eating. I guess if I find things getting out of control, I'd be quick to go back to journalling. It wasn't really all the difficult but I just got tired of writing down the same things over again. I know that oatmeal and a fruit is a perfectly reasonable breakfast for me and feel pretty secure without writing it now.

I still love to eat out at restaurants but I normally only do it as a treat once a week. I normally order something simple, without sauces or condiments like a steak and baked potato with salad and veggies. No more of those greasy, calorie laden meals! (I'm not such a cheap date anymore!)
Old 02-03-2005, 04:55 AM   #3  
Meg

Default Some Thoughts On Maintenance

I related to a lot of this chapter when I read it since I’m now about three years into maintenance (BTW, I still have to pinch myself when I type that! ) First of all, I do think that maintenance is getting easier, albeit s-l-o-w-l-y. When I look back and compare now to the first few months after I reached goal, yes, it’s easier but not for physical reasons – more from a psychological point of view. See, I felt SO unprepared for maintenance (we didn’t have the Maintainers Forum back then!) and worried that I’d somehow gain 50 pound overnight even if I kept on doing all the right things. I guess I didn’t have any confidence that I knew how to keep the weight off (by doing the same things that it took to lose it in the first place, as it turns out). So I’d freak out if the scale fluctuated by a few pounds or if I ate something that I shouldn’t and think that was the first step to total disaster. Experience has taught me that so long as I stay on track 95% of the time, the other 5% won’t derail me.

And maybe maintenance is getting easier from a purely physical aspect also. I’m starting to think that my body’s getting used to being at a normal weight. Certainly it LIKES being at a normal weight from all health indicators – I’m ridiculously healthy! All my numbers (BP, lipids, resting heart rate etc) are unbelievably good, even for someone half my age. In a tangent – isn’t it amazing that I could un-do so many years of abuse and neglect to my body -- in a YEAR? Wow! What a credit to our resilient bodies! To be able to go from obese couch potato to excellent health and fitness in a year?! By simply eating less and moving more? Who would have thought?? It's a Miracle Diet Secret!!

Anyway, back to maintenance. Three years of living maintenance every day has given me the confidence of knowing that the only way that I’ll gain the weight back is if I make a lot of really bad choices. I now know – beyond the shadow of a doubt - that the power to keep the weight off is totally in my hands. Regain isn’t going to happen to me passively; I would actively and consciously have to make bad decisions – ranging from not monitoring my weight to not exercising to eating the wrong foods – in order to put the weight back on. So knowing that keeping the weight off is completely under my control and in my hands makes maintenance a lot easier in my mind. I KNOW what to do to keep the weight off and I fully intend to keep doing it every day of my life. This new body (and new life) is a gift beyond compare and I’ll never ever choose to give it up.

How about the rest of you? Is maintenance getting easier?
Old 02-03-2005, 08:14 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

I'm not at maintenance yet, but it all makes sense!
I have to tell you that, from where I'm sitting right now (60ish pounds overweight), I STILL have this feeling that once I lose the weight, I'll be able to go back to some of my old habits and really enjoy (read: pig out) myself.
But I know that's not going to be so.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:22 AM   #5  
Meg

The funny thing is, Ellis - once you get to goal, 'pigging out' just isn't going to equal 'enjoying yourself' any more. Believe it or not!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:31 AM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Meg, I believe you... you're one of my heros.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:30 PM   #7  
Jennifer

I'm not technically a maintainer yet, either, but I'm already talking myself into--and preparing my husband for--this one. I know that going back to eating like I used to is not an option, but the part I hope gets easier is the constant obsession with (or, put a less perjorative way, mindfulness about) what I put in my mouth. I suppose I'm really only into this nine months, but I still find myself THINKING and occasionally TALKING about food choices and exercise way more than I'd like (it reminds me of that old "don't think about a duck" adage). My husband has been remarkably patient through this whole journey, but I know I've been a drag to be around at times. Sometimes I even get tired of hearing myself think about it.

For now, repeating to self, "It gets easier over time... It gets easier over time..."
Old 02-05-2005, 11:28 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I accepted the food facts last year, when I really put my mind to this weightloss thing... I was listening to my g/f's say "I'll start Monday, after Christmas, my birthday", whatever excuse they had... Suddenly I realized that my mindset had changed and I had no excuses anymore, I didn't sound like them... I just put one foot in front the other, exercised daily, ate as best I could daily, and made no more excuses... I just DID IT!!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #9  

Oops, I'm a little late on this one, I just got caught up.

I agree with most of the food facts and that maintenance does get easier over time even though I'm not that far into maintenance yet (close to a year and 1/2 now). I think that a lot of the food facts are common sense, once you've finally accepted this as a new way of living rather than a diet that will end at some point. I don't think I was really surprised when I figured out that this "diet" was going to last forever. I knew that I was making lifestyle changes and that I would never go back to my old way of life. I guess I never viewed it as so cut and dry as that. This wasn't another diet to me, this was "it". I do see how easy it would be to go back to that old life and gain the weight back though. I am certainly not immune to a relapse by any means. But I feel very confident that I won't go back, it is simply not an option I'm willing to live with anymore.

This forum has been so helpful for me because I now know what kind of ups and downs to expect in maintenance. I distinctly remember a sense of "now what" when I finally reached my goal. So those of you who've been maintaining longer, and sharing your experiences, have allowed me to be more prepared for the bumps in the road. I really think I would have been totally lost without it.

Beverly
Old 04-16-2006, 12:20 PM   #10  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Three years of living maintenance every day has given me the confidence of knowing that the only way that I’ll gain the weight back is if I make a lot of really bad choices. I now know – beyond the shadow of a doubt - that the power to keep the weight off is totally in my hands. Regain isn’t going to happen to me passively; I would actively and consciously have to make bad decisions – ranging from not monitoring my weight to not exercising to eating the wrong foods – in order to put the weight back on. So knowing that keeping the weight off is completely under my control and in my hands makes maintenance a lot easier in my mind. I KNOW what to do to keep the weight off and I fully intend to keep doing it every day of my life. This new body (and new life) is a gift beyond compare and I’ll never ever choose to give it up.
WOW! I'm printing this out!

The quote from Dr. Kirschenbaum from this chapter sticks in my mind:

"Self-monitoring is the single most important aspect of effective weight control."

After reading Meg's post I suddenly realized that this regain was not passive. I know I did it to myself, but until now did not realize that I actively chose to regain by passive behavior. I chose it.... And just as I've chosen it.. I can chose a different reality for myself.. but also have to recall from chapter two, "Knowing never equals doing."

Thanks Meg, for all the thought you put into your posts!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

On making the transition from weight loss to maintenance .... people who lost pounds quickly through a structured weight loss plan/or strict diet ... Kevin C, 45 lbs in 5 months admits "Maintenance is a nightmare." .... how you lose weight may alter your perception of how difficult maintenance is.The author is impressed by the similarities in the way some masters ate then and how they eat during maintenance.

... all groups maintained their weight loss by consuming low-fat, low-calorie diets and exercising

I think I had the notion that an occassional treat was a couple of times a week. The masters speak of careful portions one or two times a month or a few times a year!

On more intutitive eating ... I sat at 500 cals last evening when I got home from work. I was not weak, my tummy was not grumbly ... I just don't get that part. But the idea of constant vigilance doesn't bother me much.

Last edited by srmb60; 06-08-2007 at 08:34 AM. Reason: clumsy fingers
Closed Thread