Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #1  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Default Another Tatt question for the Alternachicks

Hi Girls

One of my rewards for one of my WL goals was to get my tattoos pimped up after all these years... I know what I want, but I want it to be original (well, semi anyway) and my own design.

Besides that, I have a question... do I really need to weigh less to pimp up a tattoo I have on my upper left arm? My DF mentioned to me that maybe I should just wait a little while... my arms aren't incredibly huge or something and when I got the original tattoo I was probably this size or maybe just a wee bit smaller (AND then I lost weight and had a skinny arm, which my tattoo looked better but not that much different if that makes sense?)

Thing is... I don't want to WAIT. I feel like there are SO MANY THINGS that I just keep waiting for and in the meantime I'm doing nothing because I'm not at these goals yet. You know... tatts, clothes, etc., why should I WAIT to look nice at the weight I'm at right now? Why should I wait to take dance lessons (I want to try flamenco or belly dancing) for "when I'm slimmer"? I want to live my life NOW not later!

If you girls really think (sure I could listen to DF, but I don't wanna ) that I should WAIT to fix this tattoo, then I will, but I just need to know what the general consensus is...

My other thing... I want to take the existing tatt and enhance it with hibiscus flowers and if I have to go half-sleeve I have no issues with that I have a photo of my tattoo now and I'm trying my hardest to work photoshop to extract just the tattoo onto a white background but it's not working. Anyone with Photoshop experience who might be able to help me? Once I do that I can take existing flowers and designs I like and add them to the extracted photo

Appreciate your help and thoughts girls!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #2  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Not sure about the weight thing. I gained since I got my tattoo.

As for the Photoshop bit - I don't have the program in front of me, but from what I can remember - you can use the tool that kinda looks like a wand and decrease the tolerance (?) That should allow you to pick up just the tattoo. It may take a while to get all of it, but that should work.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #3  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

thanks for the response.

I'm just going to do it anyway. I have an appt on May 18th.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:43 PM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Oh frig, live for today! If you put things on hold "until" they it may not ever happen. Go for it! Ask the tattoo artist what they would recommend and go from there. A hibiscus sounds beautiful!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 294/264/140

Height: 5'6"

I say get the tattoo now and sign up for a dancing class!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Going by your tickers, I don't think you should have to wait to get the tat worked on.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #7  
Ok, that was disturbing.

Considering the permanence of a tattoo, it is different than joining a dance class. Either can be done at any time and at any weight, in my opinion. However, if your arms are an area that you think will slim down considerably, you might consider waiting just so that it will not alter the art work. This isn't a punishment of a denial of anything as much as making your investment worth it. However, if you are not expecting a huge difference in the shape of your arms, go for it.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/140/120

Height: 5'8"

Tats are great weight loss rewards. I made myself lose 100Lbs before I let myself get one. :P Well, you said you were getting it done on the 18th, so how'd it go? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 05-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #9  
Lost in Wonderland

S/C/G: 230.5/199.5/150

Height: 5'10"

that is going to be my reward to myself when i get to goal weight. I want all the characters from alice in wonderland in a V formation on my lower back. It will be 2 Vs actually ... the first one with the characers from the dinsey movie and the second the characters for Tennel's illustrations in Lewis Carrol's Alice in Wonderland

it will cost a fortune and take forever , but that is my motivation to get healthy
Old 05-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238.6/218/125

Height: 5'2

I've already begun my back piece and now have no idea whats going to happen to it after i lose the weight...i may also decide to wait to get it worked on til my weight is down...but who really ever knows whats going to happen over the next year...
Old 06-03-2007, 07:26 AM   #11  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

just revisiting... sorry I didn't come back!

Basically, I had the tribal sun already on my arm, WHEN I was overweight. When I lost weight on WW the sun changed a wee bit but not that much... in fact it looked better! And it looked more like it was in the center of my arm.

So, I've been twice - I asked my tattoo artist and he's dead honest but he didn't see it to be a potential problem, so I've been in for two sessions.

I'm not done yet, my next appt is June 23rd. The original tattoo will be a different colour and will sort of flow into the flowers along with some background added

Old 06-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #12  
Lost in Wonderland

S/C/G: 230.5/199.5/150

Height: 5'10"

aww i love it ... the colors are brilliant!

looks like some of the flowers i spent the weekend putting in my garden!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #13  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Very cool tattoo Velveteen!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I was going to tell you to get the tattoo pimped, then I saw you already are working towards that. Rock on... I love the tattoo, by the way.

And I totally understand what you mean about waiting to do things for when you lose weight - I have a SLEW of things I'd LOVE to do but am waiting... I bet I'm going to be really broke when I lose weight, between all the new clothes, tattoos, piercings, and vacations I want to take! Haha.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:38 AM   #15  
Meh.

S/C/G: 208/200/160

Height: 5'5"

I say join the dancing class. Dancing is a great form of exercise, especially belly dancing.

I have a tattoo question too, two really.

I really want to get a tattoo, but I can never decide on where to get it. So far, the only places I can ever think to get them are my lower abdomen, my arms, and my neck. Any other ideas? I'd think the positioning on the tattoo I want would be silly on my arm, I dread what it would look like if I got it on my abdomen and then lost weight, and I'm not really sure I want to put it on my neck. I prefer a place that I can conceal relatively easily.

My second question is: How horrible would a tattoo look if I did get it on my abdomen and lost weight?
Closed Thread