General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default No alcohol sold in NY grocery stores?

I was watching "The Next Food Network Star" last evening. There was something said about no alcohol being sold in New York grocery stores. Really? Why? Does that extend to beer and wine as well?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

You can get beer in a grocery store, but that's it. For some reason, NY has this weird law that you can either have a license to sell beer or a license to sell wine/liquor - but not both. How weird is that! Also, liquor stores weren't allowed to be open on Sundays until very recently.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #3  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

in maryland and pennsylvania you have to go to a package good stores (liquor store) for beer wine or alcohol. NONE is sold anywhere but a store specific to alcohol and they are not open on sunday.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #4  
hara hachi bu

I don't know for sure about NY, but in my state, you have to go specifically to a liquor store to buy any alcohol except for 3.2 beer (which is weak beer, I guess). You can't buy alcohol on Sundays, and the liquor stores are only open from like 9am-9pm.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Utah is the same way--only beer is sold in grocery stores. Anything else is sold in a state-run liquor store and those stores are closed Sundays and holidays.

My sister lives in Texas and there are some counties that are "dry" so you can't get anything anywhere--you have to go to the next county.

I sure like living in California better!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I grew up in California and I always associated liquor stores for alcoholics and bums. When I moved away from California, I was amazed "normal" people went into liquor stores.

I think California may be one of the few states that sells all sorts of liquor in their grocery stores.

Maryland has wine and beer in grocery stores but I don't know if there is a percentage restriction. In Colorado, only low percentage alcohol beer can be sold in grocery stores.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Maryland has wine and beer in grocery stores but I don't know if there is a percentage restriction.

Really which stores? I'd like to see them. I know Sutton Gourmet in Baltimore when they were open had wine but they also had a liquor license....

Never seen it at say Giant or Shoppers... or Mars or Super Fresh.....

even Trader Joes here can't sell their own house wines...
Old 06-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Alaska sells no alcohol in the grocery store, though there are usually liquor stores adjacent to the grocery (i.e. in the same building). THere are also liquor stores not associated with grocery stores. In Costco (and probably Sam's CLub, but I don't go there) the liquor is in a fenced off section of the store, and you have to check out there. I much prefer buying wine in the grocery store, but, well, it's not worth moving for!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:32 PM   #9  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
Really which stores? I'd like to see them. I know Sutton Gourmet in Baltimore when they were open had wine but they also had a liquor license....

Never seen it at say Giant or Shoppers... or Mars or Super Fresh.....

even Trader Joes here can't sell their own house wines...
I go to Magruder's and they have an entire aisle dedicated to wine and they also have beer.

I don't really notice alcohol much because I don't drink anymore but their beer seems to always be in my way.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I go to Magruder's and they have an entire aisle dedicated to wine and they also have beer.

I don't really notice alcohol much because I don't drink anymore but their beer seems to always be in my way.
Never heard of them. must be local to your part of town.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, in Ontario, wine, alcohol and beer are sold only in licenced stores - LCBO or Liquor Control Board of Ontario. A very few stores in small communities have sections that sell booze and it's very controlled. I prefer Quebec where you can pick up a bottle of wine in the local depanneur.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #12  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
Never heard of them. must be local to your part of town.
http://www.magruders.com

They have some really good prices, looks like they only have stores in MD/VA part of DC metro. I don't shop any other stores really except maybe Trader Joe's and Whole foods.

Giant is too expensive.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Actually, in Maryland (at least in Baltimore City) you can go to the Rite-Aid drug store for beer, wine, and liquor (except on Sundays). I don't have a car, so I have to go there (only place within walking distance), especially since the nearest liquor store is really scary.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye Chubby View Post
Actually, in Maryland (at least in Baltimore City) you can go to the Rite-Aid drug store for beer, wine, and liquor (except on Sundays). I don't have a car, so I have to go there (only place within walking distance), especially since the nearest liquor store is really scary.
that's freaky cause i've never seen it in the county....
Old 06-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #15  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Many states are the same. WV and NH both have state sanctioned liquor stores. Maybe in some way it DOES regulate the sales some, but I believe its more for the states to get their hands into the profits. Hard to tell. Beer and wine are sold in regular stores and gas stations. Its just hard liquor you have to go to a state store for.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote