Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:47 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Cool ~Golden Girls~ June

~ Golden Girls~
We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you pasted the 50 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by r, we'll be that to you!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #2  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Welcome to the month of June, beginning of summer and exchanging your winter clothes for summer. I'm a little slow this year, I have yet to exchange my winter church clothes for summer. We put our membership at the Fitness center on hold (frozen) for 3 months yesterday. We'll go until June 26th, then stop for the summer. We have so much work to do out at our place, we mow over an acre of yard and so many, many trees to hand mow around. My garden takes lots of weeding too, I don't know why 2 people have to plant so much! We just give most of it away. I can hear my sweet chickens squacking to get out, catch ya all later.

Bobbi
Old 06-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Where has the time gone. I can't believe it's June already.

Lynn- Could you share the lo-carb menu site with us?

Bobbi- You remind me that I need to switch out my seasonal clothing. I really think I need to go shopping for new summer tops. I have shorts, but not too many things to wear with them.

Off to the shower and to check on the garden.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #4  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

It RAINED yesterday afternoon; really started pouring (and thundering & lightning) right about the time I pulled into our driveway. Grrrrrrr!!!!! I made supper (wheat rotinni w/Smart Balance pasta sauce w/chopped onions, peppers, and sliced olives added - and a pound of 93% lean hamburger scrambled into it) and when everything was just about ready, the rain stopped although the sun didn't come out. I practically inhaled my supper (was starving) and raced out for my bike ride before it could start raining again. Did 40 minutes. My old route is taking me less time now, so I go further and stay out longer. DH was feeling chatty and I sorta kinda cut him off running out the door like I did. Oh, well. My bike rides have become a religion with me. If I don't ride, I feel grumpy and out of sorts - not to mention puffy and bloaty. They are a MUST.
MORE unpacking in my office today. I brought in a nice big vase full of Eucalyptus and it smells sooooo good. Today should be it. Back to my regular routine on Monday.
A nice, quiet weekend at home planned, and I'm really looking forward to it. I need to get all my summer clothes out and my winter stuff off to the cleaners. I've been meaning to do it for a couple of weeks now, but with today being June and all, I've really run out of time. We may go over to my youngest daughter's house on Sunday afternoon and throw a few steaks on their grille with them, but even that's not definite. We'll see how it all flows/goes.
One of the people who posts in a group I used to post on is living in Germany and just said that they're now paying $8 a gallon for gas!!! Can you imagine? Do they earn more than we do over there, do you think? If we were paying that, I don't think my commute would be worth what I get paid. I dunno. Good grief, we're paying over $3 a gallon here now, and I can't imagine paying a whole lot more than that.
Well, it sure sounds like you'll get ample exercise just doing yard work, Bobbi. Wish I lived near you - I love fresh asparagus and don't get it very often here. I can remember, too, when I was a kid and my Dad would go out & pick a bunch of sweet corn - my mother would have the water already boiling on the stove, and we'd husk it and get it into that boiling water in about ten minutes flat. I haven't had any so good since. He grew those big beefsteak tomatoes, too, and we could make a whole meal just from sweet corn and sliced tomatoes. My mouth waters just thinking about those times. My sister (who's retired and lives down in North Carolina now) grew some big tomatoes last year - took pictures of her standing "in" the tomato patch, and the tomato plants were all towering over her. They sure did get big. The tomatoes weren't giant, though - just normal-sized.
Well, back to unpacking & filing and stuff. My office is starting to look decent. Probably not for long, though, as my stuff will all pile up again.

Have a great day, all you GOLDEN GIRLIES...what are YOU up to, Jo-annie?

ttfn,

ELLA
Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #5  
justrosie

Cool Happy June everyone

Hi all, I got lost for a few weeks. I have been working some full time hours and I run on my job from 4 until 10 pm. You would think some lbs would come off but nothing has. This is the beginnins of tourist season here at the beach so I will stay busy until Sept. It is fun meeting folks from all over. I do love that part.

RAIN!!!!! Girls, send us some rain. I have to water my flowers every day. Forcast says maybe some rain on Sunday.

All of my children and Grands will be here on Sat for the weeks. They have rented a condo on the beach , so that the kids will have a pool. We will spend as much time as possible with them. My Grands all love to swim and love to play in the sand. It is so much fun watching them.

About the fresh veggies. I grew up in Ky and remember wonderful fresh veggies out of the garden. We also had dairy cattle and beef cattle , so we had fresh butter, milk and all the beef you could want, along with the garden, because back then, my parents grew everthing. Mom cooked for farm workers every day, so we had some wonderful meals. But no one was over weight because we worked on the farm all day.

Gotta run, get ready for work, off Sat and Sun. YEAH....
Keep moving everyone, Rose
Old 06-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Ooops - I posted this in the May thread. Here it is again - this time I added the website for the daily menus.

Good Morning Everyone,

I couldn't get to sleep last night - VERY tired this morning. Oh well - off to exercise & then to scrapbooking.

I did a lot of cooking yesterday. I found this website that will email you a weekly menu of lo-carb dinners along with a shopping list - Savingdinner.com
I made 3 dinners yesterday - black bean & cauliflower stew; turkey w spinach & spaghetti squash; and crustless quiche. I plan to eat well today

Don't forget to re-join the Challenge (remember you don't have to lose anything to win this challenge - all you have to do is plan your fun, exercise, and eating).

Have a happy and healthy day,

Lynn
Old 06-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #7  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Just popping in for a quick hello...I'm under the gun for some work deadlines and trying to it all out of the way before my son's surgery on Thursday. Busy, busy! Trying to find the time to go out and play more in the garden (I stole a few minutes away from work when the sun came up this morning to do some weeding) It has been storming here for 3 days and let up this morning...I think it was raining weeds. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Lady, thanks for the post about that menu site...I'm on the way to check it out. Should have lots of stuff there that is South Beach friendly.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #8  
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

Height: 5'2"

Hello Ladies

Seems like I've been gone a year....and I will probably be out for another 2 weeks in June... we'll see... promises to be a busy June.

I planted some squash...butternut, acorn, & pumpkins.... I was real reluctant to plant them because I haven't had any luck with them in the past. The plants look great, the fruit starts setting, and then just about overnight the plant dies. (I wonder if some kind of bug is attacking the stem????) Don't know, but haven't had any grow for a long time. If anyone has the secret let me know.

Tell me about the dinner.com recipes.....Are the ones you tried very tasty?
I'm expanding my horizons with new recipes from different cookbooks. I've even stocked up on such stuff as quinoa, spelt noodles, etc. This will be an interesting adventure. My goal is to find recipes that would be good enough for entertainig....especially for those heavy meals at Christmas & Thanksgiving.

Talk to you later!! Have a great day y'all!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #9  
Lifetime Loser

Hi everyone, we returned home yesterday from our vacation. Put about 2700 miles on the car and had a wonderful trip. Spent quality time with children, grandchildren, viewed many condos in Ohio and Kentucky (thinking of moving to be closer to family), had a beautiful day and night in Savannah, GA and also one in a Bed and Breakfast in Chattanooga, Tenn.

I believe I gained 3 lbs. over 2 wk. vacation, which I don't think was too bad. I did my walking DVD several times over the 2 wks. And did it today on our first full day home.

My goal is to lose 8 lbs./mth. from now until Oct., as we have a family reunion then......I think that is a realistic goal.

Here is a photo of me at Lookout Mountain and one of the room at the B&B.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_0548.jpg (28.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_0554.jpg (18.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello Everybody,
We made it back to my Dad's in MO. yesterday afternoon about 4:00pm. We have had really good days for traveling so that has been good. We had a little rain in PA. the day before we left there and then we didn't have anymore rain until yesterday morning around St. Louis. It wasn't to bad though, I always get so nervous when it rains hard and we are hauling the 5th wheel. Then last night we got a pretty good thunderstorm during the night. The rain was heavy and we had some wind that kind of rocked the trailer which was a lot of fun! NOT!!!
I have got some more pictures and as soon as I can get them on the computer I will try to get them posted. Right now they are saying we have flash flood warnings out for here and we have lightening and thunder dancing around us.
Guess I'd better get off of here for now. Just want to say Hello to everyone and hopefully I will have some good weather tomorrow and get some pictures posted. Everybody keep up the good work!!! Karen
Old 06-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good morning everyone,

Hi Femme, what a great "diet-blog" - your's is the first I ever visited. Was it very difficult to do?

Hi Moxie, I PM'd you with the info on the dinner menu website.

Hi Phyllis, I love the photo of you at the mountain. I really enjoy seeing photos of the people on the website. Someday, you and your hubbie need to come stay at my dd's B&B - it's just 15 minutes from my house. There's LOTS to do in this area.

Hi Karen, we had a lightening storm last night that had the most lightening I have ever seen. It lasted over an hour. Sorry you had to drive in that. Hope you are having a good time.

Question about the Challenge thread. Bobbi and I have been "talking" about it - what would you think if we made it a team effort? The Roses against the Orchids - or something like that. We split the people who are posting on the Challenge thread into 2 groups (right now there are 5 of us: Bobbi, Theresa, Phyllis, Moxie, and me). Then, 1 group could challenge the other group.
Might that make the people more apt to stick to the daily posts? I know I'd feel more responsible to post if my "team" were relying on me. Let us know what you think.

I had one more thought about the Challenge thread. What if we challenge the other group - Over 50 and Getting Lighter - to enter our challenge & then, it's them against us?

I just know that I do so much better if I plan what I will eat, do for exercise/fun ahead of time & I also know that I sometimes need a prod to do the planning. The challenge helps me to stay focused. So, if it helps others also, I'd like to think of a way to keep it going.

Hope we all have a happy & healthy day,

Lynn
Old 06-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

I just got back in from doing some major weeding. The back of our yard is a mess. Remember that I cut the Rose of Sharon back. It's filling in nicely. Someday I will get along the fence all weeded and planted with nice flowers. I think I pulled some poison ivy today. I'll let you know in a day or so. lol There were several different 3 leafed plants back there. I alsready had my mornign shower, but I think I'll jump in again for good measure. Maybe it will help to not get the itches.
I'm sweating like made. I should show a loss after the weeding. At least until I drink my water to rehydrate myself.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #13  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post

Hi Femme, what a great "diet-blog" - your's is the first I ever visited. Was it very difficult to do?
No, not hard at all..but I am way behind...hopefully now that school is out I can keep up with it more. I really want to use it to keep track of what I am eating and to remind myself of recipes I really like.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #14  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Well, here I am, relaxing in front of the computer on a hot (whew!) Saturday night. My day was truly exciting. Well, not, but it was busy, if nothing else. It went by very quickly. That’s soooo annoying, too, for a weekend day to go by quickly. Why is time so slow during the week when I’m at work?
I got up this morning and was struck by the need to REALLY clean my kitchen floor, which is very large, and hardwood. Usually, it gets a sweep, and a little less usually, it gets wet mopped with Murphy’s oil soap. TODAY I decided to go ALL THE WAY, and scrubbed that sucker on my hands and knees. THEN I Murphy’s oiled it. THEN I realized that I had boxed myself in, and had to pee. I was determined not to mess up that danged floor, so I waited...and waited....and waited until I thought I would explode . I had the ceiling fan on, so it finally dried enough for me to race across it to the bathroom. JUST made it, too. Whew! Got my kitchen spotless (there’s still about two week’s worth of junk mail on my dining room table, but I can only do one room at a time, right???).
THEN I went grocery shopping - snuck in a little clothes shopping, too. Found a pair of jeans - size 14 - that fit puuurfectly - on sale for $16. I snatched those babies right up, let me tell you! (I seem to be officially down from a 16 to a 14 now, which is dee-lightful, except that I have every intention of it’s being temporary - thus my unwillingness to buy clothes except the ones on sale for next to nothing...)
Back from my shopping trip, DH & I put groceries away, and I took a 50 - five-oh!!! - minute bike ride even though it’s so hot and humid I can’t believe it. I thought you had to go to Flawridder to get this kind of heat, isn’t that how it’s supposed to be, Phyllis?
Okay, then a quick bath and off with DH to meet my SIL and granddaughter for supper at our favorite restaurant; my DD was meeting a couple of girlfriends in Boston for dinner tonight. Back home, and ANOTHER (40-minute) bike ride! I hope I rode off my supper calories (had baked scrod just like I planned on the challenge thread. No lunch, tho, and no snacks. No time today).
‘Nother bath, and here I am. (DH is painting; he’s on a roll. He has one really large one in a gallery show and it’s gotten rave reviews, so he’s been re-energized and painting every spare moment he gets. Keeps him busy. I can’t complain. )
Bobbi, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE shoes, but I’m finding that I can’t wear the real high heels anymore like I always used to. They KILL my feet!!!! Of course, it COULD be because I’ve been so heavy. Maybe I’ll be able to wear a higher heel if I ever lose as much as you have.
Hey Lynn. Thanks for the big welcome (back) to the challenge thread. I KNOW I need it. It really helps me stay accountable. Today I was SO aware of everything I put in my mouth, just thinking about the challenge.
Hey Theresa, keep up the awesome work, girl!!!! You’re amazing!
REALLY good hearing from you, Karen. Glad you made it through those storms!Paula - hope your Dad’s doing well.
Hiya Phyllis - glad you’re back safe from your travels. That B&B was so pretty! Very similar to the room we had last weekend up in NH. Some of our friends camped out. Hah! You couldn’t get me to sleep in a tent to save my life! Give me a nice, quaint B&B anytime! (And indoor plumbing!)
Okay, enough out of me. What’re you all up to, GG’s???

TTFN,

Ella
Old 06-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #15  
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

Height: 5'2"

Hello Everybody!!

Looks like everyone is busy. I think I am stuck in a rut & flushed down the drain to boot. I expect I have what is called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and it has hit big time. It is hard to explain just how completely depleated it makes you feel. Don't have the energy to exercise...and that is a bummer, I had worked my way up to 1 1/2 hours a day, and now the most I can hope for is to make it out of bed. It really puts me back to square one in the exercise department. I will be lucky to restart with a 15 minute work out.

Lynn, thanks for the info on the menu service. There are so many wonderful recipes out there that it makes you wonder why people ended up eating foods that are not good for us.

More rain today....matches my energy level. lol

I like the idea of our group against another group. I will be gone so much of June and not in touch with a computer for several days. It is gonna be very busy until after the 4th, and I am kind of mapping out my stragedy for those days that I will be away from my "comfort zone".

Gosh....after a long vacation....to not gain more than 3 pounds is great work!! Hope I can do as well!!!

All for now!!
Closed Thread