Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default Alternachick chat May 2007

Hello everyone!

I've been AWOL for this past week as I have been busy with work and house stuff.

I finally went out shopping for some clothes for work and got some lovely new skirts and a couple of tops.

I'm also getting ready to go to L.A. to work at the Star Wars Celebration convention at the end of the month -got to dig out all my travel stuff and con gear.

Hopes things are well with all of you.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:23 AM   #2  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I am here. Not much going on. We saw Spiderman 3 over the weekend. We both thought it was ok, but nothing great.

Mauvais - It has started getting warm out this way! It is going to be 89 F (32C) today, but that is on the ocean. LA will be a bit warmer then that. What do you get to do at the convention?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #3  

I train and supervise up to 30 temporary cashiers for the convention - our area covers on-site registration, will-call and customer service although I end up running around doing a ton of other things at each show. I am wonder-woman, I help out where ever I am needed - LOL! I've even done line control, helped at the store, helped at the art-show, been a celebrity bodyguard, been a celebrity personal assistant and helped security. I've even demoed (sp?) games. The only thing I haven't done is mop the floors and cleaned the toilets! Never a dull moment!

I've been volunteering at gaming and sci-fi cons for about 11 years - its a lot of work but a lot of fun, otherwise I wouldn't do it. This is what I do on my vacation time, I lead a double life. Mild mannered legal assistant by day, gaming/sci-fi geek by night!

BTW- I hear your Buffalo Sabres are going against our Senators in the playoffs
Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/159/148

Height: 5'6"

Hello everyone. What a busy May it has already been. I'm in the process of hiring a second person for my department at work. For the last 6 years I have been a one person department and leadership has finally recognized that I can do no more. So I've been interviewing. It is so hard to pick someone. Everyone is very qualified and feels like they would be a good fit with me and the company. I normally help hire for other people in the company, it is soooo much harder when it is someone who will be working for you.

Mauv - I had an e-mail sent to me on Friday that you might appreciate. It said that May 4th is official Star Wars Day. "May the fourth be with you." Bad I know, but made me smile.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #5  
Cute & Fluffy

Mauvais - You really are wonder woman, aren't you? Cool! It sounds like fun. Do you get to see any sights while you are in town too? I recommend going to the Getty if you get a chance.

And yes, my beloved Sabres are playing the Senators next round. I am not looking forward to it. The Senators are a tough team. I still hope the Sabres win. I am still a die hard Sabres fan even if I now live in Anaheim Ducks country. Now, as long as they beat the Red Wings, I will be happy. I am hoping for a Ducks vs. Sabres Stanely Cup, only because I want my home town boys near when they win! I am also hoping I vould get tickets if that happens.... I doubt it, but I can hope. I did find the Sabres play offs games way high up on our digital cable channels, so I have been watching. My boy can tell how the teams are doing by how much I yell or swear at the TV.

Spideranne - good luck with the hiring! The email sounds cute. This past weekend my boyfriend spent a good part of Saturday putting together a Lego Darth Vader’s TIE fighter.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #6  

Spideranne -good luck with the new hire! Cute e-mail-

Squeaker- I may not get too much time away from the convention centre but I was hoping to get to Chinatown for some shopping.

Speaking of Star Wars . . . My DH just got some cool statues/busts from a a company called Gentle Giant - they do awesome work. One is Mara Jade, one is Luke Skywalker and the third one is Princess Leia. They are really well done. Now we just have to make room to put them somewhere in our house -
Old 05-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #7  

Hey everyone!

Just checking in . . . I've been pretty busy getting ready for my trip.

I went bathing suit shopping last night - ACK!!!! There is just something soooooo depressing about trying on bathing suits when you're still battling your winter weight gain and your skin is pasty white on to boot.

I did however find one that I actually like, not just a "this will do" "or this one isn't too bad" suit. It actually has colour too!

Squeaker - have you been watching hockey this past week? The Sens/Buffalo games have been harrowing! I'm getting stressed watching as both team are really good and have fought really hard in each game.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #8  
Cute & Fluffy

The games have been crazy! The Sens, I will admit, had been playing better then my beloved Sabres. However, I am not counting the Sabres out just yet. I still think they have some fight left in them! But the games have just been so close and very nerve-wrecking.

Have fun on your trip Mauvais!

I am here. Not much going on to report. I finally started having a few things to do at work, which is good. And I have been in Cali for 6 months as of yesterday. I have started walking 40 minutes at lunch a few times a week, (well ok just once so far this week and once last week, but I plan on doing it again today) which is good.

I lead a rather boring life.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #9  

GAAAHH! The Sabres and the Sens are playing overtime - 2-2! My heart is in my mouth!

this is my final checkin before leaving for L.A.

Hope you all have a great week and I will post when I get back.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #10  
Cute & Fluffy

Hello Chicks!

Sorry I have been MIA, mostly just spending a lot of time in my own head. I also have been trying to read more and play on the computer less. Not much to report. My Sabres lost. *sigh* but the Ducks are in, so I guess I am ok with that. Granted I am not far from where they play and no one around here seems to realize the Stanley Cup playoffs are happening close by. I miss living in a hockey town.

Hope all is well!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #11  

Hey everyone!

Just popping in to say that I'm back from L.A.
The Star Wars Convention was a lot of work but a lot of fun at the same time.

I will pop in tomorrow night to chat. I'm exhausted and ready for bed.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:32 PM   #12  

I have to say the Star Wars convention was a ton of work but also a lot of fun. L.A. is a strange place but I did enjoy my time there.

I got to meet up with some old friends and make some new ones and met people from all over the world. It's neat how a common interest can unite people from different parts.

Carrie Fisher was there - she's was very pleasant and is looking very well these days. I also got to meet Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) Kenny Baker (R2-D2), and Ray Park (DArth Maul) amongst others. The mayor of Los Angeles was at the opening ceremonies to declare Star Wars day in Los Angeles.

I picked up some neat souvenirs including a Chewbacca bomber jacket - wait until my-coworkers see that one!

There was a great exhibit of Darth Vader helmets that had been painted by several different artists - the talent of these people was amazing.

There were a lot of people great costumes as well along with the ever famous 501st Stormtroopers who are always in attendance at these shows.

I had a great time but I'm glad to be back home in my own bed.

Hope all is well with all of you - goodnight!
Old 06-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #13  
Ok, that was disturbing.

I would love, love I say! to meet Carrie Fisher. I just wanted to say that.
Closed Thread