Thread: Sumptous soups
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 02:17 AM   #12
emilyk

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

I made a YUMMY and very hearty soup the other night and thought I'd share the "recipe" with you all! It's based on the following recipe from allrecipes.com, but I used this as a base and changed up quite a bit. I think this recipe really lends itself to using up whatever veggies you have in the crisper that are on the verge or in the freezer about to get freezer burn!

Tomato Barley Soup
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour
Yields: 6 servings
"Onions, celery, carrots and garlic are cooked with tomatoes in this chicken broth based soup with barley."
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups water
2 tomatoes, diced 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and
diced tomatoes with juice
1 (10.75 ounce) can chicken
broth
1/4 cup uncooked barley
1/8 teaspoon ground black
pepper
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the onions, celery, carrots, garlic and oil and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are almost tender.
2. Then add the water, fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, barley and ground black pepper.
3. Stir thoroughly and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until barley is tender.

Note: I added a half a bag of Trader Joe's green garbanzo beans, some corn/black bean/green pepper mix (frozen), eggplant, diced cooked chicken, used a can of fire-roasted tomatoes and Kashi 7 grain mix instead of barley. YUM. I also used more vegetable broth than they called for the in the recipe. I omitted celery since I didn't have any on hand. I also give two thumbs up to the Kashi 7 grain mix - it makes a wonderful addtion to soups!!!

NUTRITION INFORMATION (for original recipe)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 130
Total Fat: 5.6g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 454mg
Total Carbs: 15.7g
Dietary Fiber: 3.8g
Protein: 4.6g