Old 05-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Lightbulb Surviving the Memorial Day Weekend (and other party/picnic tips)

So this weekend is the unofficial start to summer. I know a lot of us will be going to or hosting a party of some type. We all know what we "should" do, it's putting it into practice that's the hard part. And we all know the same old things about bringing a dish, planning ahead, etc. What I want to know from each of you is what specific thing or things are you going to do to get through the parties.

If you have a specific dish that's LAWL friendly, post it here or direct us to where it is in the recipe thread.

Do you have a strategy that is unique to help you get through all the goodies?

For those of us that like to imbibe, do you have a yummy OP cocktail? How about your strategies for only having as many as are on your plan?

C'mon, I want to know!

For me, I will be grilling marinated veggies and fresh pineapple. If you've never had fresh pineapple on the grill, it's fantastic! And I'll be eating veggie burgers in place of regular ones.

I have a recipe from my COD for a Very Berry Pie that I may make. The recipe is at home, but if someone doesn't post it before me, I will locate it and post. It was quite yummy and I had the leftovers for breakfast after I made it.

But give me strength from the pull of the liquid fruit...
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #2  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

S/C/G: 200.2/172/140

Height: 5'5"

What about making that strawberry-kiwi lite drink with some diet Sprite and a splash of your favorite hard liquor. Like, less than an ounce, so it's only half a starch. And then have two of those, but maybe the next drink can be made with crystal lite or SF Kool-aid?

We've got patriotic-type duties to perform all day on Monday, so I expect we'll be fast-fooding it all day. My plan is to stick to salads and such, and then make up any missing foods (if there are any) when I get home. For once, I'm thankful not to be going to any picnics or BBQ's...the potato salad can't tempt me from THIS far away, hah!
hdsqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #3  
Val

A mojito always makes a very nice summery drink, and it's totally POP, just rum, club soda, a little splash of lime juice, and a crushed mint leaf, served over crushed ice.
Jrny2aNewMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #4  

Hhmmm... Mojito... It usually contains simple syrup too. But I never thought of taking it out and making it that way. Good one!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #5  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

I could just kiss you, Cassi!!! You are way better than my COD ever was Thanks!!!
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #6  

You're too sweet!

Just thinkin'... you could take Joni's Cherry-Lemonade Slushie and add 1oz vodka to it... (Fr,S)
Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #7  

From the LA Summer Guide I received last summer:

Very Berry Pie (LA Chef Recipe)

1 3/4c ff cool whip
1 prepared rf graham cracker pie crust
1c fresh blueberries
1c fresh raspberries
1T sugar substitute (Splenda)
1c skim milk
1 4 serving pkg sf instant white chocolate pudding mix

Spread 1/4c cool whip into pie crust. Combine berries and sugar substitute. Spoon 1c of berries over topping.

In a bowl, whisk the milk and pudding mix for 2 mins. Let stand 2 mins. or until soft set. Spoon over berries. Spread remaining cool whip over pudding and top with remaining berries.

Refrigerate for 45 minutes or longer. Serve.

8 servings
1/8 pie = 1Fr, 1S, 1C

This handout also has recipes for Greek Salad, Tuna Nicoise, Fresh Green Bean Salad, Summer Vegetable Chopped Salad, BBQ Chicken, Seafood Skewers, Stout Flank Steak, Crab Cakes, Vegetable Skewers, Grilled Fries, Grilled Peach Parfait, Biscotti Sundaes, and Strawberry Pie.

Since I'm working I don't have time to post them all, but if you want to see anything specific, especially before any parties this weekend, let me know and I will post.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #8  
Katie

Height: 5'1

I make my mojito with Sprite Zero so that you get the sweet into it without the simple syrup. I also often use True Lime powder instead of lime juice. It is easier if you are taking it all camping or to a barbeque.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:08 AM   #9  
LAWL Salt Police

We're cooking out on Sunday... Hot dogs for the family and friends, and Liz and I will dine on turkey burgers with Boar's Head White Cheddar Horseradish cheese (and green chile, of course)...

I don't think we'll need to get too creative with the drinks.. Probably some sun tea and capri suns for the kiddos... And diet coke, of course...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #10  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

Mmmmm...white cheddar horseradish cheese. I need to get some of that!
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #11  

You know, I was watching Sponge Bob with my DD last night and 2 of the characters were eating hot dogs...I soooo badly wanted to go get a hot dog! Isn't that funny? Of all things, I was craving a hot dog!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #12  

Try the Morningstar Farms veggie dogs wrapped in a split 4" pita.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #13  

Great idea, Cassi! I may have to get some and we can do some grilling tonight!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #14  
LAWL Salt Police

I just avoid 'em like the plague.. If I can't have a big juicy ballpark-style dog in a real bun, then I'd rather just not have them...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #15  

I'm a sucker for the Hebrew National. And the 98% FF ones aren't too bad. Only 100 calories each too. Hhmmm, now that I think about it, I should ask the LA Dietician about that. Maybe I could get two for 1P.