General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default What sunscreen do you use?

I have never really worried about my skin even though I tend to burn. Now that I am getting older I realize that it is so important for me to use sunscreen, not only when I am on the beach but everyday. I don't like the way suntan lotion makes my skin feel and I feel like it clogs my pores. More magazine had some suggestions for sunscreen but I wasn't too familiar with them. Would anyone recommend Aveeno sunblock spray (do sprays work well?) or Innovative skincare sunscreen? What do you use and find works well?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I like either the Aveeno or Neutragena sun blocks. Both seem to work well (although you do need to reapply them at least every couple of hours, possible more depending on how sensitive your skin is to the sun and how much you are sweating) and aren't overly greasy. I also like the way the Neutragena sun block smells.

Sprays are just a matter of convenience; they are the same product in the squeeze bottles, just in a spray form. I was using a spray for a while, but it tended to spray more than just the area I was aiming at and I still had to rub it in, so I switched back to squeeze bottles.

It is a good idea to get something that is water resistent, otherwise your sweat will rinse it off. Even the water resistent blocks have to be reapplied, however; there's no such thing as waterproof sun block--no mater what the bottle says.

For my face, I usually use something formulated specifically for faces. I've used Clinique's city sun block in the past and been reasonably happy with it. Right now I'm using a combination moisturizer/sun block from DHC (dhcskincare.com).

I haven't found any sunblocks that don't irritate my skin, especially my face. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Clarins has a great line of mineral sunscreens for your face that won't run into your eyes when you sweat. They advertise them as wrinkle reducing, or something like that, but they're great for all ages.

I also LOVE the Neutrogena stick because you can just swipe it on, rub it in, and be one your way- and it smells fresh, too.

Happy sunbathing!
Old 05-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

For my body, I specifically seek out the sunblocks that are for active people or sports and whatnot. I find they last the best when sweating (and I can certainly sweat just sitting still when it gets hot out!).

For my face, I use a bottle of Neutrogena that is specifically for sensitive skin. It still stings a bit right under my eyes, though--I have yet to find one that doesn't.

A lot of sunscreens don't work well enough for me--my Polish skin is about as white as white can be (I had friends in college who joked that I was "translucent" ) and burns in just minutes in the sun. In fact, I was sitting out this past weekend at a barbecue just sitting on the deck talking for a couple of hours, and I got FRIED. My arms hurt to even bend my elbows for the next 2-3 days, my nose was red, and I had a nice red rectangle on my chest (my shirt had a square neckline). I know it's so "cool" to be tan, but my skin just does not tan, so I'll just use the sunscreen, stay ghostly white, and avoid that melanoma as best I can
Old 05-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #5  

The Clarins doesn't burn under the eyes- I'm Irish and get jokes about NASA using my skin as a high performance reflective surface.

I grabbed the bottle- Sun Wrinkle Control Eye Contour Care Ultra Protection SPF 30. Now you know why... it's expensive but a little bit goes a long way and, because it doesn't burn, I actually wear it making it worth every penny!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I go all out for convenience. I needed something for the baby, and doing all that lotion rubbing nearly daily (since we go to the park most days) was just not in the cards for me. So I opted for the Coppertone spf 50 clear spray for kids. I use it on both him and myself. No rubbing, water resistent, no mess. The only cleanup is to remove the residue from my palm when I spray it in my hand to apply to his face...and to clean the nozzel. If you don't, it will clog next use. I can spray us both down within a minute. I haven't tested it swimming, only use it for the park, where we spend a few hours. But it does say its water resistent. And if you have to reapply, its so simple.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
The Clarins doesn't burn under the eyes- I'm Irish and get jokes about NASA using my skin as a high performance reflective surface.

I grabbed the bottle- Sun Wrinkle Control Eye Contour Care Ultra Protection SPF 30. Now you know why... it's expensive but a little bit goes a long way and, because it doesn't burn, I actually wear it making it worth every penny!
LOL! I don't mind paying extra money for a good sunscreen as long as it is worth it! The Sun Wrinkle Eye Contour Care Ultra Protection SPF 30 sounds like what I read in More about protecting against wrinkles and brown spots. Thats what I want! Is that the clarins one you really like??
Old 05-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven View Post
I go all out for convenience. I needed something for the baby, and doing all that lotion rubbing nearly daily (since we go to the park most days) was just not in the cards for me. So I opted for the Coppertone spf 50 clear spray for kids. I use it on both him and myself. No rubbing, water resistent, no mess. The only cleanup is to remove the residue from my palm when I spray it in my hand to apply to his face...and to clean the nozzel. If you don't, it will clog next use. I can spray us both down within a minute. I haven't tested it swimming, only use it for the park, where we spend a few hours. But it does say its water resistent. And if you have to reapply, its so simple.
I'm SO glad you do this for him! Bravo!!! My kids and I were at the zoo, yesterday, and saw a baby in a stroller who was fussy. He was parked in a sunny spot and his little baby legs were positively fried! I know they were hurting. I was so sorry for the little one that I told his mother I had some sunscreen if she wanted to use some on him. She was embarrassed, I think, (and she should be) and declined my offer saying they were getting ready to leave...but I noticed she did turn him into the shade!

(Some women are too dense to mother!)

As for suncreen - I use whatever is on sale (Spf 15 at least but I like to go higher). I don't use the aerosol's because of the CFC's but like the little pump sprayers. On my face I just use my Clinique moisturizer with SPF 15. If I'm out all day (like a day at Six Flags or something) I'll use regular sunscreen but I'm with the sensitive skin folks...it burns like mad!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #9  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Another Neutrogena user here...I use the active w/spf 45. Has worked well for me over the years.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Ouch--that Clarins looks expensive! Does anyone know of a place to get it cheaper (I found it on Amazon for $38--that's more than I pay for 2 months of medication!). I only use sunblock a couple times a year, so if that's a ballpark price, then I'll just deal with the slight stinging under my eyes
Old 05-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #11  

I have very sensitive skin and use Mychelle that is safe to use on the face. No burning of the eyes :-)It can be purchased in health stores, ebay, or on line. I hope this link works.

http://www.mychelleusa.com/index.php...16&prevstart=0
Old 05-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I have a paraben phobia. I know the verdict isn't really in on whether parabens are bad or not (depending on who you talk to) so I play it safe. I use Alba Botanica Kids Mineral SPF18 Sunscreen on my body and Avalon Organics Moisturiser with SPF18 on my face. Both of these brands are paraben-free and EU compliant (the EU bans more chemicals than the FDA.)

I wear sunscreen everyday and I reapply if I'm going to be out in the sun for more than 20 minutes (I'm very fair.)
Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #13  

I have no idea if the Clarins has paraben but I do know it lasts a long time. Being a mineral-based sun block, it has no expiration date so even if you use it once a summer, it ends up being cheaper than buying a new, less expensive sunscreen every season.

Some people swear drugstore brands are as good as the expensive stuff but I've spent an awful lot of money trying cheap stuff that's supposed to work the same. I just won't do it anymore!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #14  
Addicted to potato salad!

I've always been a Coppertone person. Not in skin color, but in product. In my older years and days since I've had kids, I use the blocks I use on the kids because I absolutely HATE sunburns. Especially on my part on my head. But once I get a base tan, I use spf 6 or so on the boat so I can get some color...but still use the block on my face.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 280/270s/120

Height: 5'1"

I use the generic version of the Waterproof Coppertone sunscreen for my body, Neutrogena on my face.
Closed Thread