Old 05-19-2007, 11:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/189/150

Height: 5'5"

Default At least 40 little devils to lose!

Hi everyone,

I've got quite a bit to lose, but I'm excited. Excited about looking better, feeling better and having a better attitude. I know that my weight is affecting all aspects of my life. It makes me angry, guilty, tired, sad, etc. And then the more I feel all of those feelings, the more I eat. The old Vicious Circle! I think I eat because I love food (who doesn't?) but also to stuff down my anger and anxiety, which I've got a lot of at the moment. I've got two kids, 3 and 5, and a husband who is high-maintenance, partly because is a recovering alcoholic. It's been a tough few years, so much crap has happened that I haven't had a chance to process because i'm on the hamster wheel of motherhood, and the ONLY pleasure I've had is from eating (and drinking too much too). Well, I've finally had enough! I feel pretty disgusted with myself in so many ways, but one thing I can do right now is deal with the weight thing. So here I am!

I used to be slim, but I was always hungry and thinking about food, so obviously that won't work. I'd just like to be around 150, not real fat, not real thin, just a bit rubenesque. Sounds like a dream right now!

Looking forward to meeting everyone, and thanks!
Nomi
nomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:05 PM   #3  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Nomi, welcome! Sounds like you have your hands full. I can understand your pain!! It is hard to take care of yourself when your life is so full of others with needs. My kids are a little older, 13 and 11, and are very active. I know how hard it can be.

There is a pretty active conversational thread in this section. "47 and No Idea". Hope you can join in on that thread, too!

Good luck to you! You can do it!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #4  
RubyJean

Hi Nomi - I know what you mean about wanting to get to around 150 I would love that too! It is really hard when you've been through as much as what you may have been - as well as having two little ones! It's hard! That much I know, too. Good luck on your journey. You've come to the right place! Have you made a blog - that is really helpful (and fun and therapeutic).
Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:24 PM   #5  

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your kind words everyone! Glad to be here.
A blog, eh?! I'll have to think about that!
I've lost a few pounds already, but think I gained some back today. Went to my mother's for dinner, and she told me she was serving fish, but she ended up serving bbq steak and potatoes. Thanks, Mom!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/156.5/150

Nomi, Welcome to another Canadian!! Hope you find the info here helpful. I am fairly new too, and like you, want to be comfortable and hovering in the 150 range. If you need to talk, let me know. Similiar situation, two kids, 12 and 15, and a wonderful husband who is a recovering person also (8 years!!). If there is anything I can help with, let me know. Sylvia from NS
Sylvia from NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #7  

Hi Sylvia, Yes sounds like a similar situation! 8 years, that's great, my DH only has one year, so I'm always worried he's going to relapse. I've just recently started going to Al-Anon, I'm hoping it will help with my fears, and indirectly with the weight thing! Where in NS are you? I'm in Toronto. Thanks for your offer to talk, I will keep in touch. Best, Nomi
Old 05-23-2007, 12:46 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 8"

Hi nomi. I just joined now. I'm from B.C... I wish you all the best. You can do this!
Evie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #9  

Hi Evie49,

Thanks, I'm doing pretty well so far. My kid had a Haagan Dazs ice cream bar yesterday, and only wanted half of it, so I held the other half for awhile because there was no garbage can nearby. That was temptation, let me tell you! But i finally found a garbage and proudly threw it in there, without a single bite.

How are things going with you?

Cheers (holding a bottle of water)!
P.S. My daughter's name is Eva, but I call her Evie :-)
Old 05-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #10  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Hi and Welcome Nomi-I just have to say I'm jealous that you live in Canada. I've been to Victoria and Vancouver and boy, do I love it there. I'm sitting here at work with my CANADA shirt on!! I live in the Southwest Desert and it is NOT green here at all-just hot....
Hope you have a temptation free weekend.
Jan

Last edited by Janny O; 05-24-2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: goofed
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #11  

Hi Jan,
Wow, a fan of Canada, I don't hear that too often! Everyone seems to want to go to the USA! BC is beautiful but I live on the other side, in Toronto, Ontario. It's nice here, though after this winter, Arizona heat sounds pretty good to me!
Wow, congrats on losing 50 lbs. That is great! How long has it taken you?
Best,
Nomi
Old 05-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #12  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomi View Post
Hi Jan,
Wow, a fan of Canada, I don't hear that too often! Everyone seems to want to go to the USA! BC is beautiful but I live on the other side, in Toronto, Ontario. It's nice here, though after this winter, Arizona heat sounds pretty good to me!
Wow, congrats on losing 50 lbs. That is great! How long has it taken you?
Best,
Nomi
Well, I started this journey on 1/02/07. 10 lbs a month consistently. I must admit with very little exercise-I would love to, but I have to wait till the chiropractor says ok. You know, it's pretty hard to lose weight, but I'm treating it like a game. Everyday I see if I can beat myself and eat healthy. My ticker says goal of 140-but I am going to lose half-131lbs. I told myself that I wasn't going to scare the golfers this year when I went swimming. I think that's why I was getting so many golfballs in my backyard last year. I guess I was a HUGE target!! hehehe.

Everyone hope you have a fine weekend.
Jan
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #13  

Jan,
Wow, you are an inspiration!! Good for you.

Please, please, please goddess let me lose 10 lbs. a month too!

First day of an 11-day crash diet is over. Yay.

Good luck to both of us!
Nomi
Old 05-30-2007, 08:54 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/156.5/150

Nomi, You are not on the other side of Canada, I am!! You are at the mid-way point, wouldn't you think? When people from the West coast talk about the East being Ontario/Quebec, it makes us here in Atlantic Canada feel we are the 'FAR EAST'!! Hope all is well with your journey and your family. Al-Anon does help in other aspects of daily life, it really works. I am in Truro, NS which is about 100 km from Halifax. We are considered the HUB of Nova Scotia because we are located on the way into the province at the place where the 100 series highways merge. You can leave Truro and go to Cape Breton, Halifax, South Shore or North Shore, all from here!! Will talk again soon, Sylvia
Sylvia from NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #15  

Hi Sylvia,
Yes, you are absolutely right that you are truly on the other side. I hesitated when I was writing that Toronto was on "the other side"--but lived in Calgary for 7 years, so I guess I just succumbed to the western way of thinking. No offense intended!
Haven't been back to Al-Anon yet, life keeps getting in the way, but I do intend to...i have a friend here who goes, and she's missed the last couple of weeks, but she'll kick my butt into going with her if need be.
Nova Scotia is so beautiful, I went as a child and plan on taking my kids there sometime soon.
Best,
Nomi