Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #1  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Default Ravenous after a workout

I started my road to fitness several months ago. First it was a yoga class once a week then I joined a core concepts class, then a definition class and about Christmas time a cardio blast class. These are held at lunch time and I eat my lunch after the class and it all works out fine.

Three weeks ago I started a hard core boot camp held three times a week for one hour in the evening. The first week after the class all I wanted was more water and nothing else. Last week I found I was able to have a hot drink before my shower. This week I am eating like crazy after class. I am doing my best to not go crazy but I am eating a 100 calorie bag of popcorn and last night I even had a rice krispie treat.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in hunger after working out? This is an extremely tough workout -- we go hard for an hour. It feels great but I feel like I work hard for an hour and then stoke up on the calories burned after.
Jayjay55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #2  
Katie

S/C/G: 190/see ticker/135

I do a class called Total Body Toning which is very intense and despite eating a snack beforehand I'm always hungry at the end. I still suggest eating a snack before though since it does help. I usually eat either a small low calorie muffin or a snack bar.
fireflytrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I know what you mean. I also take a very hard cardio class 3 times a week. I don't eat before the class but i am also very hungry after it. Last night, i planned in a kelloggs bar worth 60 calories and when i got home i had dinner. i made sure i only ate 4 ounces of protein (chicken breast) and half a serving of yogurt and a glass of 1% milk. I had to eat something because i get off work at 5:30 and my class is from 6pm-7pm. then a 30 minute drive home, so i tried to plan a very healthy, lite dinner.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #4  
Joanne

Thanks but I also eat a small amount before the class. I cook up chicken breasts ahead of time and eat 1/2 of one with a serving of brown rice. I need the protien before the class. I just wish I could go back to the first week when all I wanted was water.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I always have the same problem when I start exercising after a hiatus. I am literally *starving* to death by the time I get home. I now time my workouts so that I can have lunch or breakfast when I get back from the gym. Can you not have your dinner when you get home?

Incidentally, over the last 4 months my ravenousity after the gym has decreased as I've gotten fitter and my body has adjusted to the exercise. I'm now at the point where I can eat a quick protein (a boiled egg, usually) and go about my business for another hour or so before I need to eat a meal. You might find the same to be true for you, the longer you do the workouts.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I am sometimes, but not all the time, ravenous after a workout. But whether I am hungry or not I usually eat within at least an hour afterwards. You should be eating proteins and carbs after a workout, something that is easily digested, I like a whey protein powder drink made into a shake along with a fruit either blended in the drink or eaten on the side. This post workout meal is when the muscles absorb the most nutrients. What you should not be eating after a workout is fat because it would be slowing down the digestion of protein and carbs.

Don't forget to drink your water after a workout too...

Hope this helps...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:23 PM   #7  
Joanne

Thanks maybe that is the trick -- have half my chicken breast before the workout -- with the brown rice. And have the rest of the chicken after the workout. Baffled I have worked hard to not eat late at night and I don't get home until about 8 from the workout.

I know when I workout during the day I have my lunch after the workout and I am seldom famished in the afternoon.