Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #1  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Smile #182 Bale of Turtles Perservering!!

We are the Turtles Group here at 3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #2  
Chick

Dear Turtles,
I'm heading out soon for a weekend away. I started the new thread since we'd gotten long, but please check out the questions Ariana had since I know she needs some answers. As for me, I'm getting my head straight and chipping away at this weight.
Good luck to us all.
Bandit, Princess, Ariana, Kerri, and Peony-- and
Sometimes when we are most down is when we need to get on site and ask for help.
Judy
Old 05-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #3  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itryharder View Post
Dear Turtles,
Sometimes when we are most down is when we need to get on site and ask for help.
Judy
Isn't that the truth! I finally rejoined WW (the "at work" program) last week and am determined this time to claw my way back again. I've kept off almost 40 of my original pounds, so at least there's that.

So good to see you still here, Judy. I'll check the other threads to see who else is still posting. I may not be able to post often, but I'll check in as often as I can. You all are the best.

Have a great trip, Judy, wherever you're going!

Onward and downward,
Lauren
274/236/DOWN!
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #4  

Ladies: Good afternoon. How is everyone? I did WI last night, and I maintained. That is annoying and frustrating, but I do know why -- I ate too much on Friday and Saturday. I still struggle with social eating, which is when I overate. At least I have gotten to the point where I don't gain from social eating, which is an improvement. I just have to work on eating out after working out (which is dangerous, but I often do just that with my friend Ellen -- it's the way to get social life and working out in on the same night) and eating at parties because I'm bored, and it's there, and everyone else is eating! I am thinking of some ways to compensate. I should bring veggies or fruit or something to the next party I go to. If I could fill up on those, it would be easier to resist other (higher point) food. And I need to do three things at sweet tomatoes (a local buffet, which I love) -- skip the caesar salad (a weakness of mine), skip the sugary drinks (go with a diet drink or unsweetened tea), only get a piece of bread in addition to the salad (they have tasty pizza, etc.) and get one desert, keep it small. I am getting better each time, but I still overeat when I go there. It's the hungry + buffet combination that seems to be fatal to my willpower. Ah well. It's a work in progress.

As a general note, I feel like sometimes I come off as -- well, not as sympathetic as I really am. I don't want to sound like an empty-headed leader who is overly optimistic. I may be having great long term success (which I am very proud of), but I understand that WL is a struggle for everyone, a great struggle -- but I firmly believe that everyone here *can* lose weight, and *will* lose weight if they commit to it, persevere and keep evaluating and changing their strategy when things go wrong. I have great faith in all of you. That's what I'm trying to impart. I'm sorry if it comes off any other way.

Now, for individual replies...

Princess: No, I don't mind that you ask, you need to know after all. I'm a 5'3", 27 year old, and a woman, of course. I use the 2nd newest slider -- the one right before the current one -- it only goes up to 4 points of fiber. I actually use a formula to calculate my points -- I've gotten to the point where I can do it in my head --

Points = Cal/60 + Fat/12 - (min(fiber grams,4)/5)]

One point less would be fine, I'm just curious about the points, and I really want to know my weight range. I know that it tops out at 130, but I don't know what it starts at.

Don't worry about not remembering the books today. Just let me know what it is when you bring them in.

Judy -- sorry you are so tired, but it's great to have you back. Re: "It's like coming home to old friends to read your posts." -- what a sweet thing to say! <Ariana beams> Enjoy your weekend! Thank you for the reminder to everyone, I am really curious about my goal weight range, I know my maximum weight, but wondering about my goal weight range has me very curious...

Okay, back to work. Take care, ladies!
Ariana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #5  
Chick

Hi Guys,
Guess what? My visit away was cancelled, but evidently my life doesn't enjoy a vacuum because now I can go visit the wedding photographer with my dd and dfsil (that's dear future son in law).

Lauren, so glad to see you posting here. Am thrilled you kept off so much weight. This is a struggle, but we can do the right thing and get it all in gear.
Take care, dear friend.

Ariana, I'm going to completely read your last posts to see if I can be of any help to you. Right now I have to get ready to keep my appointment, but I will address your questions. I can certainly give you the new info and will guess about the old--if that helps.

Bandit, Kerri, Peony, Princess, have a great weekend and chime in when you can. My eatings been erratic lately, but I'm back on today and have to lighten up my expectations while really dedicating myself to doing the right thing. That balance is tricky to achieve.
Judy
Old 05-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Morning all! W/I on Saturday was ho-hum... down .6 but I will take it

Ariana: So sorry for the delay, I forgot to bring my book on Friday but I finally remembered today... Ok, I looked in the new book (Week 1) and I can not find the range table in it... but I also brought along the next to last one that I got when I joined last year... and I will give you those ranges now and look through that material that they gave us when the plan changed a few months back and see if it is in a seperate area of all the stuff they gave us.

For a person that is 5'3 your range is 113 to 135.... when you turned 26 your upper target weight raised to 135 but it will remain there until you turn 46 years old... that is out of the week 1 turn around program book... again, I will look through the rest of the material that they gave us a few months ago.

Hope it helps!
Susan
Princess1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #7  

More info for Ariana:

Ok here is the new points for you:

Female: 2
Your current weight (the first two digits) 15
(if that is not right you can correct it but I took a guess based on my very bad memory)
Height: 1
How you spend your day: Sitting down = 1 (Since you are a programmer I guessed as the next step up from this is basically standing all day

So add them all up and your total points allowance per day is = 22
+ your 35 flex point and activity points if you use them
Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #8  

Update for Ariana: I made a mistake... when I looked at your last post at the bottom you have your stats and since you have 149 as your current weight then you would actually get 1 point less so your daily allowance is 21 instead of 22... sorry for the error...

Hope it helps and I will look for the newer weight range table info when I get home this evening.

Princess
Old 05-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #9  

Ladies: Good afternoon. How is everyone? I had a good weekend, although it wasn't long enough. I bought a lot of new clothes with some great coupons at New York and Company, and get this -- I fit (comfortably!) into a pair of size 10 pants for the first time since 1997, maybe earlier. It was an awesome moment. Until very recently, the 12's were too big, but the 10's were too small -- and now they fit. How exciting! :::

Judy: How was the visit with the wedding photographer? I appreciate any info that you can give me. Do you know why your eating has been erratic lately? When it comes to expectations, try and set small, reachable goals, and persevere, and you'll get where you want to go!

Lauren: Great to hear from you. How have you been? Hey, keeping off 40 pounds is a tremendous accomplishment! We are always glad to hear from you...

Princess: I appreciate the info, but I'm a bit confused. So, because I am a woman, 27 years old, and most of my day is sedentary, then my daily point total is 21 + 35 flex points, and my target weight range is 113 to 135? There was a lot of info there, so I just want to make sure I understood. And those numbers are from the second to last version of the plan? All of materials I have list point allowances in even numbers, so I must have an old version indeed. I'm sorry Princess, but can I ask you one last favor -- is 21 the lowest point allowance for my height, or does it go lower? If so, how much do I have to lose before I need to start using the new point amount? I am just trying to avoid paying the joining fee just to get the materials if I can avoid it, since I don't intend to go to meetings. Thank you for all of your help!

Lastly, I thought you guys might like to see an updated "after" picture -- here is my original before picture, and an updated "after" picture from about two weeks ago:

(The light is bad in the "after" picture, but it shows more of me. I have better pictures, but they were too big to attach -- you can see them at: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...2ZtGLW&notag=1 if you like.)

Anyway, back to work. Take care ladies, and have a great day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2002-12-19 p13.jpg (34.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2007-05-05-2.jpg (49.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Ariana2000; 05-14-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #10  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Default Wow!

Wow, Ariana -- size 10! That's terrific! You must feel like a million bucks!

{{HUGS}} for you too, Judy. So your daughter is getting married?? You must be excited/thrilled/tired/happy/sad ... when does she get married? Are you helping with all the details?

I've had a good week OP, and even wrote everything down. No matter what the scales tell me tomorrow, I'm proud of myself.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 AM   #11  

Ariana: Sorry about the confusion...
The calculation for the points actually came from the new book, they consider gender, height, weight, lifestyle etc... BUT they only ask what you are doing during your work day (sit, stand, etc. ) because you get the activity points for exercise so that would be over and above what you do during a normal day.

Now I was able to locate the new booklet that has the range chart in it... and it is different then the ones I gave you yesterday but on the max end of the range (I think) for a person that is 5'3 your range is 113 to 141 but they have a note on the side that says "Your weight goal does not have to be in these ranges, but should be above a BMI of 20"

As far as the uneven numbers: I agree, that thru me off when they first rolled this out but the deal is this... when you go below a "decade" (such as you go from 150 down to 148.5) then you have to drop one more point... they are doing it in 10 lb increments now. So if you are at 149 now, when you go below 140 you will drop another daily point... does that make sense? And the 35 flex points has not changed at all, you still get those every week.

The pictures are wonderful and you look awesome! Congrats on the size 10! I can't wait for that to happen to me

All: not much new here... I really need to get out and start walking... I just feel like I have no time lately... Pilates three times a week and everything else... I need to make it a priority and just do it.

Hope all is well with everyone and Congrats to Judy - it will be a very exciting time for you and your family.

Princess
Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #12  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Lauren,
Yes, my dd is getting married in October. We are very happy for her. I like her fiance, they are happy together, and we hope they have a wonderful life together. She started to get stressed out about the wedding recently and I feel part of the reason is that she has her gown ordered and she has started gaining weight. Ugh. I feel so bad for her because I know part of the problem is genetics. I hope she can get up and over her stressors and lose some weight so she feels better. As far as the other stuff, we had a great Saturday. She and her fiance and I visited the photographer, made some good decisions, then went to the jeweler to order their rings, and then she and I headed to a shoe store with a great selection of dyeable shoes and were successful there too. I'm treading a fine line of trying not to be bossy, (very hard for me since my ideas are so good. LOL) and yet offering suggestions when I think they're needed. Great weekend!

Lauren,
I am very glad you caught your weight gain when you did and are applying yourself at work. Losing and keeping off weight is an indescribable struggle.
I have no idea, when I'm doing well, why I just throw out all the good steps I've taken and pursue old poor eating and exercise habits that can only lead to weight gain. I have never figured out why I do this, and hope that an epiphany enters my head soon because I'm getting tired of it! I wish you all the best and hope you chime in here when you can because you've got so many good ideas and great ways of expressing yourself.

Princess, thanks for all the help for Ariana. I haven't had a minute to breathe in days! When my weekend plans got canceled, we had loads of visitors on Mother's Day. Then yesterday I was beat (still dealing with that) and yet found the energy to do housework and clean up the yard chairs, etc. Food was decent over the weekend. I am determined to keep on going and if I can, I'll get on the treadmill today to start up the exercise again. My WI is tomorrow and I am going for sure.

Ariana,
Wow! You look phenomenol. I remember when you were thrilled to get into size 12. Now you're in a 10. Wow. Thanks for including your before and after photos. What a fabulous change. Keep up the good work. Hey, by the way, I know everyone here understands your good intentions and nature and we take your advice and apply it the best we can.
Keep it comin' Ariana. You've got great ideas and you're an inspiration.

BAndit, how are you doing?

Kerri, how's it going?

Okay, I'm onto a new bright day. Everybody keep on keepin' on.
Judy
Old 05-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #13  

Ladies: Good afternoon. How is everyone? I'm doing pretty well today. I forgot to tell you guys about my weekend yesterday. I was pretty good Friday and Saturday as far as food is concerned, and I'm starving now, so I hope I'll be down tomorrow. Mostly I'm just jonesing for junk food. I had 1 (1!) chip from a friend's bag, and now I want more. Grr. I will eat some healthy pop 1-serving popcorn later, at least that's healthy, if I'm still craving it. Anyway, back to the weekend -- I saw Fracture, with Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling. It was quite good, if you like Law and Order, and that kind of thing. Sunday I started a new fleece quilt -- I'm getting frustrated with cotton, it just doesn't seem to turn out right, so I'm going back to fleece, only now I'm paper-piecing. This should be interesting. I hope.

Not much else is new, so on to your individual posts...

Lauren -- thank you! It's quite a thrill to be a 10 again. I remember the day when I first became a 12. I was embarassed about the weight gain -- I'd been a 10 for a while at that point, and I was embarassed that the same size no longer fit. So it's a wonderful feeling to be back there again, especially since one of my initial goals when I first joined WW was to be a size 12 again, so being a 10 is an especial triumph. RE being OP and journaling vs. weight loss -- being OP and journaling is in itself a big victory, Lauren. Give yourself credit for each and every victory. And I'm betting that you will lose weight this week, but even if you don't, you are demonstrating your dedication and commitment, which means you're on your way!

Princess: No, that's fine. But I'm still confused. If you want to maintain a BMI of between 20.0 and 20.9 (that is, have a BMI of less than 21), you would have to be between 113 and 118 pounds. How can I be my weight range include numbers above 118 if that puts my BMI above 20? I should just go to a meeting and ask a leader instead of pestering you. I am sorry about all the trouble. The explanation about the point changes vs weight changes does make perfect sense though. Re the pictures -- thank you! I am delighted with getting to a size 10, and I thought that several of the pictures of me with my friend Alice (the Asian woman) turned out very well. Re walking: I recommend that you start off small, Princess. You probably have 15 minutes in your day, right? You could start with that. Walking is so relaxing -- you were walking before, when the weather was good, right? Our walking season is reversed -- winter is great for walking, but it passed 100 degrees here last weekend, so I now avoid being outside during the day whenever possible.

Judy: I'm glad that you had a good weekend. It sounds like fun. I know, it's so hard when you have so many good ideas, huh? And thanks for the congrats and the compliments! I am thrilled. I'm glad you liked the before and after photo -- I always find those so inspiring! (for more motivation, check out the Before/After photo albums at 3FC, if you haven't already: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=200). Thank you for the feedback. I don't want to be overbearing, or sound like an overenthusiastic cheerleader who has no idea of how hard it is; I do; but I have faith that everyone can lose the weight eventually. On the topic of "keeping it coming: Re stopping our good habits -- I know you weren't addressing me, but I have some thoughts on this -- part of the problem in adhering to all of your good habits is making it a long-term habit. This kind of lifestyle is work -- it's well worth it, but it's definitely a lot more work, especially in the beginning. The longer you do it consistently, the easier it gets, as I'm sure you know. I think it's important to keep up your efforts, one day at a time, and then before you know it, it will be an ingrained habit. For example, most days I just automatically go to the gym after work, without even debating it, but it sure wasn't always that way. I used to have extended debates with myself about going to the gym all the way home (and it was a 45-minute one-way commute!) I don't skip the gym unless I have a social event to go to (and I keep those infrequent during the week for this reason), and I go to the gym unless I am physically unwell. For another example, I buy healthy food and cook and do food prep every weekend -- but I didn't always do that. When I first lived alone, back in 2002, I bought good food and let it rot, eating what was easy and fast, and quite unhealthy. Now it doesn't occur to me to eat junk as much. Don't get me wrong, I still want to skip the gym sometimes, and I still crave junk food, but it's not as bad, and it gets easier to resist all the time. As you said, losing weight is an indescribable struggle, but it's one we can win -- it just takes time, perseverance, creativity and support. Remember, you can do this, and you will!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #14  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Ariana,
Thanks for your specific examples of staying on track.
Judy
Old 05-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #15  

Morning all!

Ariana: I am sorry for the confusion... The range is broad but then again so is the age range since it spans 20 years and they only use one weight range goal chart for both genders now... the daily points is where they take into consideration the gender factor and men get lots more points then women but if a man were 5'3 he would have to be at the top end of that goal range or he would just be too skinny... the BMI has to be ABOVE 20 according to the book so use that as a guideline since you are young and can go into the lower range of the goal weights... Joining might not be a bad idea but that is up to you... they often have coupons on WW website if that would help.

All: I went to an Indian restaurant yesterday for lunch with a co-worker... it was ok but I fear there were a lot of points in that food... I have a hard time with food when you not look at it and can not tell what it used to be I think at one point I had a piece of goat on my plate but I pushed that to the side... I walked away hungry but fear that all the rice cost me too many points... I will not make that mistake again.

Ariana is right... even I can make it a point to get out and walk for 15 minutes a day and that is what I did yesterday after work... it was only 15 minutes as a storm came in but at least it was a walk.

Hope all is well with everyone!
Princess